Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can't Stop Going to the Left!!

DalTxsGurl

Hey All!

Ok, I need help with my riding. I'm new to the wakeboarding world. I've been out 4 times. I can get up just fine, but staying up is the problem. I always veer left. I'm sure it has to do with improper placement and balance of my legs/feet as well as rope placement. I ride with my right foot in the back since it's my stronger leg. I get up but I can't seem to place the rope close to my left hip. I tried using just my left hand when holding the rope to help with balance, but my left arm isn't strong enough on its own yet. (I've been sick quite a bit so I'm on the weak side).

So here are my questions:

1. Any tips on binding placement? A friend told me you should be balanced with 60% of your weight on the back and 40% in the front.

2. What about rope/handle placement?

3. Is there a good speed and rope length for beginners?

4. How do I stop going left? LOL ;)

I have video if anyone cares to see. I don't know how to post it in here, or if I'm allowed to post video.

Thanks in advance!

Chrissie

I did this the first several times up too & one thing that someone told me that helped a TON was to point my belly button to the shore.

As soon as you do that, your body straightens out & you go straight.

Hope that helps!

I would center the bindings about shoulder width or so apart. Learning with bindings skewed to one side will just make you develop bad habits like only using the center fin to turn instead of learning to use your edges. Do try to keep a little more weight on your back foot at first, just to stop from plowing the tip in.

Try to get your upper body facing towards the boat while your lower body rides sideways like you're holding on with one hand (that is the easiest way to get your feet/legs in the right postion btw). You are right with the handle near your lead hip. That will give you the most stable riding position and be the foundation for almost everything you do.

Speed and rope - go slow at first, say 16 mph or under depending on your weight and if your board is big enough. Slower speeds = less pain on the inevitable face plants. When you start to improve, speed it up. You can ride anywhere from 55 ft to 75ft back right now and it won't matter much. Further back will give you less prop wash etc to deal with. Once you start trying to get w2w, you can move in to make it a bit easier to clear the wakes.

You're probably going left because your upper and lower body are out of whack and you're inadvertently setting a heelside edge or the board is twisted a little making the fin move you off that way. It's not an uncommon thing. Just try to get your pieces in alignment and the turn should stop. If you post the video to Youtube or similar, we can all take a look and tell you what we see. Good luck!

Edited by jshap
I would center the bindings about shoulder width or so apart. Learning with bindings skewed to one side will just make you develop bad habits like only using the center fin to turn instead of learning to use your edges. Do try to keep a little more weight on your back foot at first, just to stop from plowing the tip in.

Try to get your upper body facing towards the boat while your lower body rides sideways like you're holding on with one hand (that is the easiest way to get your feet/legs in the right postion btw). You are right with the handle near your lead hip. That will give you the most stable riding position and be the foundation for almost everything you do.

Speed and rope - go slow at first, say 16 mph or under depending on your weight and if your board is big enough. Slower speeds = less pain on the inevitable face plants. When you start to improve, speed it up. You can ride anywhere from 55 ft to 75ft back right now and it won't matter much. Further back will give you less prop wash etc to deal with. Once you start trying to get w2w, you can move in to make it a bit easier to clear the wakes.

You're probably going left because your upper and lower body are out of whack and you're inadvertently setting a heelside edge or the board is twisted a little making the fin move you off that way. It's not an uncommon thing. Just try to get your pieces in alignment and the turn should stop. If you post the video to Youtube or similar, we can all take a look and tell you what we see. Good luck!

I faced planted HARD yeterday. My lip is cut up on the inside, I have a small cut on my eyelid, and a small cut on my nose. Plus my cheeks feel like someone punched me. Essentially I was b**** slapped by the water! :lol:

I will definitely try your suggestions.

Shannook: I will try out of the belly button thing. Sounds like a great idea!

LS-One: My right foot is in the back and my left foot leads.

Video link coming soon!!!

You can probably ride at 14 or so while you get the hang of it and still be able to turn without sinking. I ride at 15 when I'm just goofing around on surface stuff and I don't have a problem at 162 lbs. Go slow until you learn...no more cuts.

As far as foot placement, jump up & then land how you would naturally come down (or maybe jump down off of something). However you land is how you should place your bindings relative to width as well as stance (boot angle) IMO.

Keep your left elbow into your left hip and your right arm almost straight. If your left arm isn't pulling enough weight, the pull on your right arm turns you to the left.

Start working out that left arm.

I put my strong leg in the front. Everyone is different. Maybe try your other foot forward.

Most everyone when starting goes heel-side heavy which is what you are doing. That in turn puts you on that edge causing you to go left in your case. Not to learn bad habits but try letting go of the rope with your trailing hand (your right in your case) which will allow you to be in a natural standing position on top of your board thus allowing you to get used to a neutral stance. It will allow you to get an easier toe/heel side weight shift. Once you feel better on your board, remember your lower body stance and allow your upper body to rotate to have a two hand grip on the handle. Also remember, both hands on top of the handle and not one over and under.

Most everyone when starting goes heel-side heavy which is what you are doing. That in turn puts you on that edge causing you to go left in your case. Not to learn bad habits but try letting go of the rope with your trailing hand (your right in your case) which will allow you to be in a natural standing position on top of your board thus allowing you to get used to a neutral stance. It will allow you to get an easier toe/heel side weight shift. Once you feel better on your board, remember your lower body stance and allow your upper body to rotate to have a two hand grip on the handle. Also remember, both hands on top of the handle and not one over and under.

Hey All!

Ok, I need help with my riding. I'm new to the wakeboarding world. I've been out 4 times. I can get up just fine, but staying up is the problem. I always veer left. I'm sure it has to do with improper placement and balance of my legs/feet as well as rope placement. I ride with my right foot in the back since it's my stronger leg. I get up but I can't seem to place the rope close to my left hip. I tried using just my left hand when holding the rope to help with balance, but my left arm isn't strong enough on its own yet. (I've been sick quite a bit so I'm on the weak side).

So here are my questions:

1. Any tips on binding placement? A friend told me you should be balanced with 60% of your weight on the back and 40% in the front.

2. What about rope/handle placement?

3. Is there a good speed and rope length for beginners?

4. How do I stop going left? LOL ;)

I have video if anyone cares to see. I don't know how to post it in here, or if I'm allowed to post video.

Thanks in advance!

Chrissie

I agree with Tracie. Another way to decide which foot to put forward is to stand with your feet

about shoulder apart, close your eyes, and have someone gently shove you from behind

(it helps if you are not concentrating or trying to over-think this one). Whichever foot comes

forward is your lead foot.

I think it's pretty common for beginners to wander out the heel-side wake. Both of my kids did

exactly the same thing. Letting go with your back hand should help, but the problem is that you

have too much weight on your heels. You need to make a concerted effort to shift your weight

towards your toes.

Once you are out of the heel-side wake, as it sounds you have been, you can get right back behind

the boat by leaning towards your toes. To borrow a tip from a Fundamentals of Wakeboarding

CD that I got last Christmas, "squeeze your butt cheeks together." I know, it sounds kinda funny,

but it works, shifting your hips, and your center of balance, forward.

I don't know - maybe its not that big a deal. Just go with it for a couple of rides until you get comfortable on the board. Let yourself drift out heelside and then try cutting back toward the wake. Once you get the feel for controlling the board you will be better able to control it as you come up on it.

This will sound silly, and I am definitely no expert on the board, but do a slow rotate (make SURE to keep your leading edge up as you spin) so your right foot is leading, and viola! you will be going right.

Start slow!! You can go 10 - 15 MPH all day long on a wakeboard until your comfortable. The trick is to stay centered over your board roll your hips slightly forward and try to keep the handle low and close to your front hip and keep your upper body stiff and standing tall leaning slightly back.

If you are shooting out left it is because as soon as your up all your weight is pushing down on your heel edge, try to ease forward over the toe edge of the board and lesson the pressure on your heel edge. Try to get the front of the board towards the boat. You might try letting go of the handle with your back hand which will help with the twisted position. Then you can stand inline with the board and you won't be all twisted.

Good luck and don't give up it gets easier everytime

I faced planted HARD yeterday. My lip is cut up on the inside, I have a small cut on my eyelid, and a small cut on my nose. Plus my cheeks feel like someone punched me. Essentially I was b**** slapped by the water! :lol:

I will definitely try your suggestions.

Shannook: I will try out of the belly button thing. Sounds like a great idea!

LS-One: My right foot is in the back and my left foot leads.

Video link coming soon!!!

BTW, how fast WERE you going to do that kind of damage to your kisser? Either there was something floating in the water that you banged into, or the driver was pulling you way too fast for a beginner. I've face planted pretty good in the mid teens and it barely hurt at all. Now in the low 20's, that stings.

Agree. Go slow, and allow your shoulders to rotate free of your hips. Keep the right arm straight and the left arm bent. Practice this on shore with a rope and a fixed object to which you can attach said rope.

What size/type of board are you riding? A decent board will definately help in the learning curve. For example, my daughter started out on a cheap board and could get up but had a real hard time staying up. I then rode the board once and promptly ripped the bindings, thus I went out and bought a hyperlite motive for her. The hyperlite board helped with her riding progression big time. Also, we started her at 16-18 mph anything less and the edges would be down in the water and guess what...faceplant a plenty. I would also say to try and get in an athletic position...feet comfortable distance, slightly bent knees, arms will be slightly bent and try to keep your weight neutral. If you put weight on your toes and your shoulders are open to the back of the boat this will end in a faceplant. I would try to roll your right shoulder back and your right arm should be across your midsection and tight to your body.

I have seen this once before! My girl thought she was left foot forward but after a dozen up and flying out of the wake and and ugly spills, my friend took us to shore. He drew a skateboard shape in the sand and took her back 10-15 feet and had her run and jump on it like she would ride. She jumped on it with right foot forward. We switched the bindings to goofy and it was 10 times better. I pull her around 14-15. She felt quite comfortable at that point.

I have seen this once before! My girl thought she was left foot forward but after a dozen up and flying out of the wake and and ugly spills, my friend took us to shore. He drew a skateboard shape in the sand and took her back 10-15 feet and had her run and jump on it like she would ride. She jumped on it with right foot forward. We switched the bindings to goofy and it was 10 times better. I pull her around 14-15. She felt quite comfortable at that point.

Perhaps I might have my legs switched. Who knows! All of these suggestions are great. The reason I felt my left leg should lead is because I had it in the back at first. But when I fell it hurt and didn't feel right. I had my ACL replaced in that knee so I'm pretty guarded with it.

JOHNSVT: I am riding a CWB Lotus 131 with Sage Hinge Tech Bindings.

UWSKier: I WILL be trying your rope suggestion by attaching it to a fixed object.

JShap: I believe I was going about 18.5 or more when I face planted. I could have hit something too because it's hard to believe I feel that hard and cut my eyelid too. Either way, I hit that water hard!

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions!!! I am going out tomorrow for a majority of the day. Luckily my boyfriend and people we go with are patient and kind.

Perhaps I might have my legs switched. Who knows! All of these suggestions are great. The reason I felt my left leg should lead is because I had it in the back at first. But when I fell it hurt and didn't feel right. I had my ACL replaced in that knee so I'm pretty guarded with it.

JOHNSVT: I am riding a CWB Lotus 131 with Sage Hinge Tech Bindings.

UWSKier: I WILL be trying your rope suggestion by attaching it to a fixed object.

JShap: I believe I was going about 18.5 or more when I face planted. I could have hit something too because it's hard to believe I feel that hard and cut my eyelid too. Either way, I hit that water hard!

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions!!! I am going out tomorrow for a majority of the day. Luckily my boyfriend and people we go with are patient and kind.

You should probably start off going a little slower and keep your knees bent more.....everyone I have ever pulled as a first time I pull at 15-16mph. As you get to feel for it you can indicate to go a little faster, trust me 3 miles an hour can make a big difference in a fall.

Good Luck

That is a good board, do you have the center fins in? The only reason I mentioned about riding at 18 or so is because my wake is washed out at 15-16 and the white wash will trip most beginers up.