Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer problem while stopping

I have a 2006 RLXI that came on a 2006 Sweetwater Trailer (I believe SMP).

I have had the boat for maybe 2 months now. After the 3rd week I had it, while braking to a stop, the trailer shakes, rattles and makes crazy noises. I thought the safety chain had been pulled and it seems like it has, but I hit the release like the manual says and nothing happened. I checked the fluid and it seems to be clean and the right level. I took both tires off and the pads and discs look clean and barely used.

Should I bleed the brakes? Do you think the brake mechanism is acting up? I didn't buy it at the local Malibu dealer and they don't sell this brand of trailer. So I am just looking at ideas or if I should have it inspected by a different trailer company. Sweetwater isn't the easiest website to find. I think it is Sweetwater Metal products.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

My '01 Sunscape sits on an SMP trailer. When I bought it used in 2005 the pads were worn nearly through, especially on the front axle. It didn't make any noise even though the pads were in bad shape.

Do you have to be doing a high speed stop to hear this or could you put someone on the sidewalk of your street as you brake to a stop and have them listen to what's going on? Like, which axle or side of the trailer is it coming from, is there a metallic squeal like when the pads or worn or just a clunking noise?

Also, if you unplug it and try to back up, do the brakes prevent you from backing up? If not, the piston may not be pushing on the pads correctly.

I'd be willing to bet with a symptom that pronounced and brakes being as simple as they are that you can troubleshoot this problem on your own without having to take it to someone.