Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 RX

Molarbu

I was wondering if anyone has seen a 247 rx outside of the showroom. I know it's a new model but I'm not so sure it's catching on anywhere. How much $$$$ does Malibu have to invest in the new upper mold for a boat like that? It makes me wonder how many they have to sell to make it worth their time. I'd hope it's not a total flop, but it sure doesn't seem to be very popular. Have they had other models that did the same thing in the past? I was just looking at the 07 brochure last night and it got me thinking.

I was wondering if anyone has seen a 247 rx outside of the showroom. I know it's a new model but I'm not so sure it's catching on anywhere. How much $$$$ does Malibu have to invest in the new upper mold for a boat like that? It makes me wonder how many they have to sell to make it worth their time. I'd hope it's not a total flop, but it sure doesn't seem to be very popular. Have they had other models that did the same thing in the past? I was just looking at the 07 brochure last night and it got me thinking.

What is the RX supposed to be?

Guest J-Ro

I think there is a market for this boat. Unfortunately it's not cool enough for the watersports crowd and too expensive for the runabout crowd. I have never liked the XTI layout (Especially this when it came out) but now I think this one makes it work due to the extra length.

I think there is a market for this boat. Unfortunately it's not cool enough for the watersports crowd and too expensive for the runabout crowd. I have never liked the XTI layout (Especially this when it came out) but now I think this one makes it work due to the extra length.

Exactly why I'm not sure of what market they're going after. Or maybe a better way of putting that is that the market(s) that they're going after won't be interested or will be priced out.

I agree on there not being a market for this boat. People buying a boat that large aren't really looking for direct drive wakes, and with how much boat is in front of the engine, the RX practically has the weight distribution a V drive anyways. I guess I don't really see the point. I'd be surprised if this one is still in the lineup 2 or 3 years down the road.

I think it's funny that the Lake Havasu site calls the 247 RX "Malibu's Flagship"...hardly.

Malibu calls it a wakeboard boat through and through. If that's the case, why move the motor to the middle of the boat? Kind of defies logic in my head. At 4000 lbs with no gear, I can't imagine this thing is skiable for anyone that is more than a casual skier. Plus, it's on the V25 hull, so if you slalom, you'll most likely end up on shore. :lol: This is a strange monkey.

I like the layout better than the xti. If the RX was the same size as an xti I think a lot of drivers/buyers would choose it over the xti, based on looks/layout.

I like the layout better than the xti. If the RX was the same size as an xti I think a lot of drivers/buyers would choose it over the xti, based on looks/layout.

I agree. If the xti layout were flipped so the driver wasn't squashed in, i'd go for it.

Being an xti owner I see how this could be a fine boat, but not too practical as a crossover boat. I don't believe it is even available on a diamond hull. Even then, the ski wake would be about the same as any other cruiser on the market. It would be fun to have a couple of families on it as the kids can socialize together and the adults can be in one of the other lounges. I'm sure you could build pretty good wakes behind it for surfing and boarding. Neither of the lounge areas have as much room as the 23 xti rear lounge has though. I'm glad mine isn't any smaller than it is as I'm sure foot fungus would be passed around with any more than 2-3 people back there! Yeah, I don't see much use for this boat. But the DD layout really does improve performance. Anyone who doubts that hasn't driven them both. I also would be surprised if this lasts more than a couple of years.

Being an xti owner I see how this could be a fine boat, but not too practical as a crossover boat. I don't believe it is even available on a diamond hull. Even then, the ski wake would be about the same as any other cruiser on the market. It would be fun to have a couple of families on it as the kids can socialize together and the adults can be in one of the other lounges. I'm sure you could build pretty good wakes behind it for surfing and boarding. Neither of the lounge areas have as much room as the 23 xti rear lounge has though. I'm glad mine isn't any smaller than it is as I'm sure foot fungus would be passed around with any more than 2-3 people back there! Yeah, I don't see much use for this boat. But the DD layout really does improve performance. Anyone who doubts that hasn't driven them both. I also would be surprised if this lasts more than a couple of years.

You're saying that the 247 RX has a smaller lounge area than the xti?

I put 5 hours on a 247RX and came to the conclusion that I really liked it. However, for me there's nor reason to buy it if the mother of all wake machines (247LSV) is there.

The Layout does work better than the XTi in my opinion, and the '08 23 has that layout as well.

But again, Why not just splurge a bit more and buy the V-Drive?

Someone at our lake bought one. We were loading right next to them the first time they had it in the water. The guy said that manuverability was the big selling point for him. Out on the lake it looked like it handled like a big response....very nible for 24'+.

Again, would this be enough to buy a dd vs. a vd? Like everyone has said, the ski wakes would likely suck.

I do like the layout of it vs. the xti boats.

You're saying that the 247 RX has a smaller lounge area than the xti?

It looks to me like the rear area is about the same as a 21 xti, but the front lounge area is pretty good sized. I'd have to see them side by side though. I may be mistaken, but it looks like the extra 17 inches is used in front of the engine compartment.

We have put 50 hrs on a demo 247 RX, and I really like it. It surfs great (power wedge), wakeboard wake is comparable to the 247 LSV. It flattens out considerably at 33 mph, and handles like a dream. Have had minimal interest in it though, due to the seating layout.

post-195-1184165145_thumb.jpg

i special ordered an rx because it was the only boat that would fit my crew size, normally 8 to 10 comfortably. we have put 95 hours in three months and have loved every minute of it. it does handle like the smaller RESPONSE but makes a wake like the LSV. the only complaint is the 47 gallon gas tank - with a 8.1 engine it won't make a full day.