Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Time Surfer

CLOUT1

Finally got the new board out and we had a great time!!! I love spending so much time behind the boat and not being sore in the a.m.!!! A few observations: very easy to get up, tricky to find the right speed although 10.5 seems to be the one, trying to change the ballast around to see what works best, but lots of fun trying. My main question is the section of wake that we tend to be rideing is from the swim platform to about 8 or 9 feet back. Do any of you ride right up to the swim platform or should we be further back??? Thanks... Surfing.gif

With my big butt and not enough ballast, I'm riding probably a foot from the platform and sometimes on the platform Whistling.gif If you can ride 8 feet back, that's pretty dang good.

I just started surfing this year on a 5'6" broadcast and I've come to the realization that you just flat out need to add weight. I don't have a vdrive so with stock ballast and the power wedge I can surf but it is very close to the back of the boat. I've recently added a couple of fat sacs and that helps out a ton. If you don't have people, you need weight of another form, it makes a huge difference. A lot of the vdrive owners here put a 750 lb sac in the storage in addition to another 500 on the surf side. As soon as you add some weight you'll find it sooo much easier and that sweet spot will be much wider.

Finally got the new board out and we had a great time!!! I love spending so much time behind the boat and not being sore in the a.m.!!! A few observations: very easy to get up, tricky to find the right speed although 10.5 seems to be the one, trying to change the ballast around to see what works best, but lots of fun trying. My main question is the section of wake that we tend to be rideing is from the swim platform to about 8 or 9 feet back. Do any of you ride right up to the swim platform or should we be further back??? Thanks... Surfing.gif

That's pretty good for your first time out. If we have the boat loaded pretty good, my son can get as much as 18-20 feet out & still recover & I can go probably as much as 15' back & make it back into the wave (although we're both riding a board that's a full foot shorter). So it sounds to me like you're doing pretty well. :)

I recently set up with 800 in the surf side locker, 500 in the mid, about 350 lbs of kids in the bow and about 450 lbs of ballast buddies on the surf side (starboard) and the wedge. Speed was 10.5. With that setup I could surf back to roughly 12 feet from the platform and still recover. So, yes, the sweet spot was in that 8 - 9 foot range for me (195 lbs on a Oogle).

Hi Clout 1,

I find myself riding right up to the platform sometimes but usually try to ride 8-10 feet back. My speed is usually 9.6 mph. I think it depends on how the wave is forming. We don't always have huge weight in the back corner and I really don't have a problem finding a sweet spot to ride. One thing I am discovering is that foot placement on the board plays a huge factor. When I started my feet were placed to much like riding a wakeboard now my back foot is way back and I find it easier to control how far forward or back I ride on the wake just by transfering weight forward and back. It really is a cool sport. I'm lovin it.

W.L.

Hi Clout 1,

I find myself riding right up to the platform sometimes but usually try to ride 8-10 feet back. My speed is usually 9.6 mph. I think it depends on how the wave is forming. We don't always have huge weight in the back corner and I really don't have a problem finding a sweet spot to ride. One thing I am discovering is that foot placement on the board plays a huge factor. When I started my feet were placed to much like riding a wakeboard now my back foot is way back and I find it easier to control how far forward or back I ride on the wake just by transfering weight forward and back. It really is a cool sport. I'm lovin it.

W.L.

Foot placement is huge...I agree 100%, especially when you are a "portly" fella like myself!!! My brother he claims he is 195...probably more like 180 and he's just making me feel better, can ride with his feet further back on the board and can "recover" from further back on the wake. Another comment on the sweet spot, it is amazing that when you start to loose it you can actually recover by streaching your arms out in front of you. Love it!!!!