Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ballast, wedge, and rope length

wakesetter 23 lsv

Im new to a 2007 malibu wakesetter 23 lsv and i am confused as far as ballast the wedge and rope length for wakeboarding. I'm taking a progressive edge toward the wake and getting as far as i can but i still can't seem to clear the wake. i am using a 65 foot rope the wedge about half way and no ballast. Do you guys have any recomendations on how long of a rope i should use and ballast as well as the wedge. Any help would be great i'm still trying ot get used to this thing Biggrin.gif

Sounds like a rider form issue rather than a boat/setup issue, IMHO. The LSV does have a larger/wider beam = slightly wider wake, and I am no pro....but board with people who are AWESOME and they all say unanimously that is more about FORM than actual wake. The only thing a bigger wake might provide is a larger crutch for poor form. Don't take this as criticism, b/c I suck and just went thru the EXACT same argument with both myself and others...and you know what? They were right. Tease.gif

However, once I concentrated moreso on FORM and not wake size...it happened MUCH easier. I can go W2W with only a modertate effort and seems to be getting better/easier all the time.

Have someone video tape you riding and watch your legs and overal form as you hit the wake...perception and actual riding style are usually MUCH different.

Hope this helps,

With very little detail (such as how fast you ride), and without actually seeing you behind the boat, I would say with 80% certainty that you're not edging all the way through the wake. With a proper progressive edge and the ballast you're running at that line length you should be able to clear the wake from just outside the trough.

Pick up a copy of The Book if you don't already have one and take that for a spin, it will help out immensely.

I am just learning how to go W2W... With my 23 last year I would fill all ballast, no wedge, rope at 60(including handle) and about 22mph. I had the same trouble you are having. It is all in the form. Once I got the cut and pop down it really doesn't take much to clear the wake. I would not stay on my edge through the wake. Everyone kept telling me to stay on the edge and play tug-a-war with the boat progressively building speed as you approach the wake. Straighten legs at the top and push down on the handle. What finally got me across the wake was this... They said to not go as far out as I was. Then as I approached the wake it forced me to get on edge harder to buidl speed quicker. This worked for me.

With very little detail (such as how fast you ride), and without actually seeing you behind the boat, I would say with 80% certainty that you're not edging all the way through the wake. With a proper progressive edge and the ballast you're running at that line length you should be able to clear the wake from just outside the trough.

Pick up a copy of The Book if you don't already have one and take that for a spin, it will help out immensely.

We watched some of the Book last week. Great DVD!!!