Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon Question

Ok, Got a question here for the motor heads out there. I have a 2000 Slxi with monsoon. About 450 hours, I have owned it for the last 50 hours on the clock. I have two issues that may or may not be related.

1. While at various speeds the tach will on occasion bounce around, it my jump up or drop back, and then indicate actual rpm. I know it is not the tach because I have a known good spare unit. I have changed spark plugs, and plan on changing the Dist Cap, Rotor, and Plug wires. Will a misfire from plugs, wires, cap/rotor cause the tach to bounce? Or could this be a bad coil or other electronic gremlin. I don't know when the problem started since it has done it since I purchased the boat last fall. I have checked all my connections from the plugs all the way up to the dash connectors, and all are good.

2. My second issue is at cold start. While the boat is warming up at launch, I can put it in neutral and rev it a bit. It will stumble until the motor is warm. My previous Response LX with same monsoon @312 hours never hiccuped while cold or warm, so I tend to think there is something off here.

I will welcome any and all ideas.

Thanks.

Ok, Got a question here for the motor heads out there. I have a 2000 Slxi with monsoon. About 450 hours, I have owned it for the last 50 hours on the clock. I have two issues that may or may not be related.

1. While at various speeds the tach will on occasion bounce around, it my jump up or drop back, and then indicate actual rpm. I know it is not the tach because I have a known good spare unit. I have changed spark plugs, and plan on changing the Dist Cap, Rotor, and Plug wires. Will a misfire from plugs, wires, cap/rotor cause the tach to bounce? Or could this be a bad coil or other electronic gremlin. I don't know when the problem started since it has done it since I purchased the boat last fall. I have checked all my connections from the plugs all the way up to the dash connectors, and all are good.

2. My second issue is at cold start. While the boat is warming up at launch, I can put it in neutral and rev it a bit. It will stumble until the motor is warm. My previous Response LX with same monsoon @312 hours never hiccuped while cold or warm, so I tend to think there is something off here.

I will welcome any and all ideas.

Thanks.

I have the same boat (just an 02) and I have had a few weird anomalies. I found that my cannon plug (big plug that connects everything electrical from the motor to the dash located rear starboard side of motor) was a little loose. Not sure tightening will make a difference for you, but it cleared everything up for me. Worth looking into.

problem 2 could be youre idle air control valve. Mine did the same thing, it would even stall out when cold. Right before it would stall you could hear an air "wooshing" sound as the engine was being starved for air. We were able to get some oil down on the hinge and clean it up a bit.

I had the same issue with an 01. It may not be the tach, but likely not an engine problem either. Most likely it's the MDC (Not even sure what it stands for..some computer gismo the runs the gauges.) Before I had it replaced both the tach and the speedo would do it. After I had it replaced only the tach did it and less often, so I just lived w/ it.

Yep wiggled all the plugs from the motor up to the MDC. I think the blip is coming up from the engine. I thought about hooking up an old style tach to the tach wire behind the gauges. There is a tach wire in the bundle for hooking up perfect pass. If it blips then I know it is in the signal from the engine. I wonder if the coil could be sending me the bad signal.

I like the Idle air control. That would be an easy on to cleanup for the cold start. I noticed after I changed the plugs the engine seems to hunt for idle sometimes. Didn't do that before the new plugs.

Yep wiggled all the plugs from the motor up to the MDC. I think the blip is coming up from the engine. I thought about hooking up an old style tach to the tach wire behind the gauges. There is a tach wire in the bundle for hooking up perfect pass. If it blips then I know it is in the signal from the engine. I wonder if the coil could be sending me the bad signal.

I like the Idle air control. That would be an easy on to cleanup for the cold start. I noticed after I changed the plugs the engine seems to hunt for idle sometimes. Didn't do that before the new plugs.

You don't have to hook the aux. tach up to the dash wires you can hook it up directly to the -negative side of the coil, if it does not blip then hook it up to where your stock tach is at and see what happens. If you have a electrical hesistation that makes the tach move you should be able to feel it in the engine??

Have you checked all your fuses, I had the same problem with moisture in the fusable links once and the corrosion caused an electrical short that I couldn't detect until I ahd to change a fuse that acutally blew. Once I cleaned it and changed the fuse it was all better.

my '00 tach issues (along with other electrical issue - except depth gauge) were all solved by the heavy duty guage wire from battery to the bus bar. could be the same issue...

I'll second adding a dedicated ground from the MDC to the ground bus bar, but also I would remove the hold down bolt on the distributor, clean up the contact area to ensure a good ground between distributor and block.

In terms of warming up, go ahead and just change the cap and rotor right now, to eliminate that as a variable.

Peter