Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where is my oil going?

My 2007 HH 383 has about 72 hours on it. I noticed at about 58 hours that it was a quart low on oil. So I added a quart of oil, not thinking much. Yesterday with the boat at about 68 hours, I noticed that yet again the boat was a quart low on oil. I am trying to figure out, why after 10 hours, I had to add more oil yet again. I looked pretty close and did not see any oil leaks anywhere, but the oil was getting low enough to trigger oil pressure warnings on the dash. Any Ideas? Oil was last changed at 20 hr service. Getting ready to change again this weekend.

Edited by lib135

Update: service bulletin about this issue. Recommended fix is to switch to 20-50W oil. I will be switching to the AMSOIL 20-50W oil to solve the issue.

I don't think that switching oil is going to fix a oil consumption problem? I know is can raise your idle oil pressure from lower oil pressure readings, but burning a quart every 10 hrs seems very high to me unless you can live with it :unsure:

That is clearly abnormal oil consumption. It implies something abnormal in the way the engine functions.

It's a new boat on warranty. This is a dealer issue.

Well I am going to do a complete oil change this weekend, and if it continues, I will have the dealer deal with it. Thanks

oil is getting thruough the piston rings or through the valves most likely if you are not leaking it. Are you seeing blue smoke comming from the exaust when you get on it?

I wish I had some good news to throw in here but I don't. I went round and round with oil consumption and pressure problems this last fall in my 2006 HH. Inmar's solution was to increase the weight to 50 weight and add an extra quart of oil. My consumption contiues to be more than it should, but the oil alarm doesn't go off near as often Dontknow.gif

It is probably still burning/using well over a quart every 10 hours. My monsoon in my last boat never used a drop.

I would monitor more closely after the oil change, and not get to nervous about it just yet. Maybe @ 58 hrs. you were almost two qts. low. If you check it just after running the engine there could be a 1/2 qt. that needs to drain down to the pan yet. Also, Malibu recommends 100 hrs before going to syn.

I wish I had some good news to throw in here but I don't. I went round and round with oil consumption and pressure problems this last fall in my 2006 HH. Inmar's solution was to increase the weight to 50 weight and add an extra quart of oil. My consumption contiues to be more than it should, but the oil alarm doesn't go off near as often Dontknow.gif

It is probably still burning/using well over a quart every 10 hours. My monsoon in my last boat never used a drop.

I would fight Indmar on this, even if they have a factory problem they can't fix, there should be a local machine shop that could rebuild the engine so the oil usage goes away. Using oil usually means too much "PCP" Positive Crank Pressure (piston/oil rings or valve seals) those are the only three things that can cause it. It does mean the motor has to be torn apart but received a new "engine" from Indmar doesn't mean that will fix it. I would see what they could do for you to get down to the root cause of it and not just offer you a replacment after the season is over but I would start now in getting eveything documented so you don't have to deal with this next season.

In one of my cars I had the piston to cylinder wall clearance a little loose because the Nitrous system and the added abrupt heat that it causes expands the forged pistons just enough that adding a bit of clearance was insurance against scuffing sticking a ring etc... It was normal to use a little oil and a little extra time to warm up the engine. I also used a straight 40 wt.

I wonder if Indmar runs their engine a little "loose" which is not unusual with forged pistons. Although I wouldn't think Indmar would use non silicone added forged pistons in that engine.

In one of my cars I had the piston to cylinder wall clearance a little loose because the Nitrous system and the added abrupt heat that it causes expands the forged pistons just enough that adding a bit of clearance was insurance against scuffing sticking a ring etc... It was normal to use a little oil and a little extra time to warm up the engine. I also used a straight 40 wt.

I wonder if Indmar runs their engine a little "loose" which is not unusual with forged pistons. Although I wouldn't think Indmar would use non silicone added forged pistons in that engine.

Yeah, I agree with you.

The only way to find out is to tear it down and measure everything. Indmar has done something and what they have done is more than what IMO, to me a "stock" motor should really need. A motor running on pump gas shouldn't really need that much extra clearance, the HH is not really a "High Performance" motor although it has slightly more HP than your typical LS1, it's just basically like my LS2 in my GTO and it also has really bad piston slap and valve train noise. It doesn't use too much oil though so I am lucky in that regard, these are just factory management decisions that aren't fully thought clearly through.

I would fight Indmar on this, even if they have a factory problem they can't fix, there should be a local machine shop that could rebuild the engine so the oil usage goes away. Using oil usually means too much "PCP" Positive Crank Pressure (piston/oil rings or valve seals) those are the only three things that can cause it. It does mean the motor has to be torn apart but received a new "engine" from Indmar doesn't mean that will fix it. I would see what they could do for you to get down to the root cause of it and not just offer you a replacment after the season is over but I would start now in getting eveything documented so you don't have to deal with this next season.

oh I have everything well documented. My problems really showed up at the end of last season and I have only put about 15 hours on it since the "fix" I am going to continue to monitor it, but am not too worried about Malibu and Inmar making it right if it continues. The oil consumption and low oil pressure seems to be a problem with these 383's.

Dang!!! A quart every 10 hours!! Surprised.gif If its burning that much oil your plugs must be getting coated up too. Not good. I would agree - I would go after Indmar for a fix. Spending $50,000+ on a boat, you would expect it to have a good engine. Be sure and document all of your calls/conversations with Indmar (I would bypass the dealer). If you document an exhaustive effort to get them to remedy the problem (I would not consider using a heavier weight oil a "fix"), then you will have the basis for a claim against Indmar. You would have to bear the cost of the rebuild yourself (to quantify the amount of your claim). Then I would sue Indmar (and your dealer) in Small Claims Court in your state. In Texas, the max amount you can sue for in Small Claims Court is $5,000, but I would think a rebuild would not be that much). If you were deligent about documentation and are able to show the court that you exhausted all possible avenues and gave them many chances to fix the problem, then you will have no problem getting a judgment for the amount of the fix. Oh, and be sure you can prove that there is/was a problem - someone from the dealership, or an "expert" - saying the engine should not be doing that.

Edited by Gordo

oh I have everything well documented. My problems really showed up at the end of last season and I have only put about 15 hours on it since the "fix" I am going to continue to monitor it, but am not too worried about Malibu and Inmar making it right if it continues. The oil consumption and low oil pressure seems to be a problem with these 383's.

I have no doubt that Indmar will back it up and make it right. But it is a motor design problem, it's basically a 350ci block with a 400ci crank and nothing more so when they (Indmar) makes it out to be this really stought and High HP motor that needs all this clearance, it's really not needed. It just has a slightly larger stroke than an LS1 so they didn't do enough design research and review the results when these motors where first made. That's basically it.... ;) gotta love those stroker motor's

I agree, I meant to say I will be going with a straight 50 weight oil., not synthetic oil. Not necessary in this engine. Also, they have updated the PDF manual on the Indmar website that says to use 40 weight oil, even though the oil cap on my engine says 15w-40. I will try an oil change with straight 50 and see how that goes. But you all are right 1 quart every 10 hrs, is way to unacceptable.

James

Edited by lib135

I have a 1994 Chevy Suburban that has used 1 quart of oil between changes since it was new. GM said the usage was due to the engine having chrome rings rather than cast iron. Chrome rings do not seat or wear as quickly as cast iron and will often allow for some oil usage. GM never proposed any solution for this as they felt 1 quart between changes was not excessive. The truck now has 104000 miles, but still only uses 1 quart of oil between changes. It does not now, and never has smoked out the tailpipe.

I wonder if these high horsepower stroker motors have a similar setup.

I just don't agree that an engine should be burning oil at all. To me this is a problem, and needs to be resolved.

I just don't agree that an engine should be burning oil at all. To me this is a problem, and needs to be resolved.

A quart between oil changes is ok, 3000 miles and one quart is fine it's acutally good that a motor burns a little oil because it lubricates the valves, etc. I don't know how this adds up but if you figure that your averaging 15 miles per hour in a boat while out having fun (not saying that you'll be running a constant 20mph) assuming that your idling some of the time and when your pulling someone at 20 mph and at times going 30-40 mph. This is just a quick calcualtion, at 10 hrs your only getting 150 miles or just say even 250 miles now you take in the engine start and stop factor where a boat gets started more times that a car, initial start up burns more oil that idle but still even at 20 hrs of running you should not be burning more than a quart. You can calculate from here, note these are just numbers that I came up with.

Edited by 68Slalom

I had talked to a service technician at the service center last year when I ran into somewhat of the same problem with my monsoon and he told me that it can take up to 100 hours before everything is completely seated and might burn a little oil until then. He also told me if the problem continued they could put some special additive into the motor which will bascically scour the piston walls and then the rings can reseat. He said it is kinda of a nasty process causing the motor to bilow black smoke but would more than likely solve the problem after the procedure is done. Luckily I didn't have to do these because my problem went away. Hope this helps.

I had talked to a service technician at the service center last year when I ran into somewhat of the same problem with my monsoon and he told me that it can take up to 100 hours before everything is completely seated and might burn a little oil until then. He also told me if the problem continued they could put some special additive into the motor which will bascically scour the piston walls and then the rings can reseat. He said it is kinda of a nasty process causing the motor to bilow black smoke but would more than likely solve the problem after the procedure is done. Luckily I didn't have to do these because my problem went away. Hope this helps.

I think this is it. I've seen a lot of people that have been told about this 100 hour rule.

For the record, the oil bulletin issued for the 383 as I understood it was never to meant fix a problem with engines using oil, just to fix the low pressure alarm that many of us were getting. Also, I am a very firm believer that oil usage in general is a direct cause related to how an engine is broken in. We were told that we didn't need to do the normal break in, & that we should "hammer it" (their words, not ours). I've known a lot of mechanics & gearheads that believe that this kind of treatment of an engine when new is what you should do, that it helps to seat the rings & really get the imprinting right. The normal Indmar breakin doesn't allow for this & seems to lead to more oil usage. We hammered it from day one & I haven't ever, on any of my oil changes, seen a single drop of oil use. I'm at almost 180 hours as of yesterday.

I think this is it. I've seen a lot of people that have been told about this 100 hour rule.

For the record, the oil bulletin issued for the 383 as I understood it was never to meant fix a problem with engines using oil, just to fix the low pressure alarm that many of us were getting. Also, I am a very firm believer that oil usage in general is a direct cause related to how an engine is broken in. We were told that we didn't need to do the normal break in, & that we should "hammer it" (their words, not ours). I've known a lot of mechanics & gearheads that believe that this kind of treatment of an engine when new is what you should do, that it helps to seat the rings & really get the imprinting right. The normal Indmar breakin doesn't allow for this & seems to lead to more oil usage. We hammered it from day one & I haven't ever, on any of my oil changes, seen a single drop of oil use. I'm at almost 180 hours as of yesterday.

Well I know somebody who did a similar break in as you did with your's Tracie (on the advice of you and several other Crew members) and his motor is one that is having excessive oil usage. Mind you that it is still a few hours below 100, so he is willing to wait it out a bit more. He has asked not to be named Whistling.gif

Well I know somebody who did a similar break in as you did with your's Tracie (on the advice of you and several other Crew members) and his motor is one that is having excessive oil usage. Mind you that it is still a few hours below 100, so he is willing to wait it out a bit more. He has asked not to be named Whistling.gif

:) There is always a percentage that will fail or have problems, in every product. That's where warranty comes in. My opinion on the 383 (& this is only my opinion) is that it was intentionally built a little looser than they would have otherwise done for a variety of reasons (the history of the previous Hammerheads probably played no small part in this) & that there are some that they may have gone overboard with. Most people that I know with this engine have had no problems at all, it's actually much stronger & reliable than the past Hammerheads generally were IMO. But it sucks if you're one of the few that do have these difficulties, hopefully Indmar & Malibu will come through for you & make it right. Oil usage like that after a certain point just isn't normal or acceptable IMO.

:) There is always a percentage that will fail or have problems, in every product. That's where warranty comes in. My opinion on the 383 (& this is only my opinion) is that it was intentionally built a little looser than they would have otherwise done for a variety of reasons (the history of the previous Hammerheads probably played no small part in this) & that there are some that they may have gone overboard with. Most people that I know with this engine have had no problems at all, it's actually much stronger & reliable than the past Hammerheads generally were IMO. But it sucks if you're one of the few that do have these difficulties, hopefully Indmar & Malibu will come through for you & make it right. Oil usage like that after a certain point just isn't normal or acceptable IMO.

Oil consumption will occur if the motor is improperly setup. Break in should not determine how much oil a motor is going to consume. I believe that once a motor has reached operating temperature then it is ready to go. I think the oil consuption issue comes down to ring package, piston tolerance, and finish of cylinder walls. This situation reminds of fords 302 had oil issues back in the nineties and the fix was to put new piston rings in.

I went to change the oil today, and noticed a problem. I could only get 3 quarts out of the engine. This after I topped it off about 6 engine hours earlier. At this point I knew that even this engine couldn't be burning oil at that rate, so I tore apart the back of the boat and found a small oil leak around the rear seal of the engine (which is actually the front of the engine in this boat, because it is in backwards). I also found a small area of oil pooling in the bilge, so needless to say, I will have the boat sent up to the dealer for repair next Tuesday. What is weird is that the oil leak is small, and I wonder where the rest of the oil actually went? Guess we will find out next week.