Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake water levels

jeffmx

I think the ACOE FW have done an excellent job.

I live on Lake Lewisville and we have been holding at 12 feet over for a couple weeks now.

Keep in mind theres some lakes in the this system that require constant level for power plants and such so they have to protect those first and reserve in the others.

Its got to be a tough call specially when you consider the uncontrollable nature of the weather.

No Kidding, they have it down. It is probably a lot of data from the stream flows that they have to go through to decide how much to hold or open on those gates. They have done an awesome job here on this lake for us.

Our big problem now is the debris in the lake. We went out Saturday evening to check out the water for a surf session Sunday morning and came right back to the dock. The limbs and logs on the surface don't worry me. It's the limbs floating down the lake that don't bob with the waves that are scary. You just know there's a big log or tree underwater just waiting to smack a prop.

7/4 when we went out their was a lot of little stuff - leaves, bark, little limbs.

Saturday it looked like a totally different lake - almost completely cleaned - except near the docks where stuff had collected and got caught up.

Sunday found a huge log 2 feet in diameter - didn't see it at first cuz it was rolled on a smooth side - then it rolled over and exposed some branches - nobody hit it that we know of. Pulled it into an empty slip and tied it up.

I think the ACOE FW have done an excellent job.

I live on Lake Lewisville and we have been holding at 12 feet over for a couple weeks now.

Keep in mind theres some lakes in the this system that require constant level for power plants and such so they have to protect those first and reserve in the others.

Its got to be a tough call specially when you consider the uncontrollable nature of the weather.

Try dealing them on year round basis as a hunter, and you just might get an added sense of frustration. Call any ACOE office, speak to three different people and you will get three different answers if they don't all answer I don't know. Frustrated.gifBash.gifGuns.gif

We are at normal levels....

duh Biggrin.gif Try not 40K CFS and see where that lake level would be. Biggrin.gif

Regardless, that's where we are at. If the lake wasn't here you would still be getting that flow down there. This is exactly why we are on this lake. We had lake property on COE lakes before. No more thank you.

Flow is not the issue, a ACOE lake holding to over 20+ is the problem. Mad.gif I can honestly me and Texas/OK lake houses will not be a reality, just nothing fits the bill. Heading North, way North Biggrin.gif

Yes that's a problem but that's why they are FLOOD control lakes. Instead of flooding many people downstream they hold the water and let it out gradually. For the same reason you don't see much waterfront property on those lakes. If you have property on those lakes you have to expect rise & fall of the levels. As uncomfortable as that is, that is the way it works. Dontknow.gif

I very well understand of what Whitney and other lakes that serve a similar purpose. What no one at the ACOE is why they did not let out more water after the Memorial Day Weekend rains. They basically reduced the flow to nothing when there were not problems downstream, which has increased the severity of the problems.

You and are making the same point, the ACOE does not have a gameplan that they stick to and go by. If you ask them a purpose for their lakes, they will mostly say to provide water, not a damn thing to do with recreation. If you look at why they dumped a million into Ham Creek, they say recreation. The ACOE is one of the worse GO's I have ever encountered.

It's a problem that is not exclusive to Texas. Ask the Californians here what they think of the management of the Delta system & see what responses that you'll get. ;)

Me, I'm not too worried about the water levels for this year. Next year is what I'm really worried about on that topic. Now fire danger, it's real, real bad here. It's only the first part of July & it's so dry that it feels like mid-late August.

As I type this, I have a fan blowing on me Mad.gif We are going on almost 2 straight weeks of 80+ degree weather with the next 3 days at or above 100* The good thing is that the river is warming up 1* every 2 days Clap.gif I just can't wait for the weekend so I can go home to air conditioning and a boat Drool.gif

Lakes in Austin are overfull from flooding and they aren't letting anybody on. Mad.gif I took last week off and had some friends in from Cali to spend the entire week on the lake...it rained the entire week and all lakes / rivers are closed for recreational use. GRRRRRRRRRRR

Lakes in Austin are overfull from flooding and they aren't letting anybody on. Mad.gif I took last week off and had some friends in from Cali to spend the entire week on the lake...it rained the entire week and all lakes / rivers are closed for recreational use. GRRRRRRRRRRR

At least they are not closing lakes up here.

ROFL.gif You NW people are melting in this heat huh..

It's a little like when it snows in Cali, people think that Armeggedon is upon us & expect the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to come riding up. People here don't know what real heat is (although it was 107 here last week & it's been over 90 for most of the past 2-3 weeks). Still, it's nothing like where we used to live, a/c was mandatory.

Hopefully the snow pack this winter is a good one. I hate to think about another winter like we just had.

It's a little like when it snows in Cali, people think that Armeggedon is upon us & expect the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to come riding up. People here don't know what real heat is (although it was 107 here last week & it's been over 90 for most of the past 2-3 weeks). Still, it's nothing like where we used to live, a/c was mandatory.

Hopefully the snow pack this winter is a good one. I hate to think about another winter like we just had.

No doubt. A could of days ago it was 74 at 6:30 am on my way to work, bring on that global warming!

Just when there is no AC...I couldn't get to sleep last night til 12:30 cause it was so dang hot. I don't know how people can function without AC!

What the ACOEs did around here last year. Cry.gif

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stori...ws/115940.shtml

--------------------------------

"Adding insult to injury, in June the corps discovered that the single gauge being used to measure the lake's level was miscalibrated.

By then, the lake was 1.9 feet lower than the corps had believed, and 22 billion extra gallons of water had been released from Buford Dam.

The general faced pointed questions about the gauge error, which he admitted was the corps' fault.

"Unfortunately, we were not clear in our conversations with the (gauge) manufacturer," he said.

Walsh explained that when the gauge at Buford Dam was replaced, the manufacturer assumed that a pulley attached to the gauge was replaced as well, and gave the corps a calibration number that erroneously took that into account.

But Chambliss pursued the issue aggressively. Even if it was an innocent miscalculation, why did the corps ignore numerous phone calls from lake residents, who complained that the official lake level readings did not match reality?

"If that kind of mistake had been made on the battlefield, it would have cost human lives," Chambliss said. "

----------------------------------

The worst part was that everybody that knows the lake knew something was up and levels were dropping way more than they normally would for that time of year/rain/etc. A bunch of people tried to tell the ACOE that something was screwed up. They wouldn't listen to anybody. They were right and everybody else who had lived/played on the lake for years didn't know what they were talking about. There ended up being meetings with Senate and governor plus lawsuits over it all.

Yeah, water levels here in Cali are crazy this time of year. On my lake, we've lost 11 feet since July 4th. We still have hundreds more feet to go, but it's amazing how fast the lake can drop in the summer.