Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake water levels

jeffmx

They are dropping fast.

We just got home from another 3 dayer to the lake, and my lake is letting out water at about the rate of 12 inchs a week, so by the end of summer, it is going to be down another 10ft...

I saw a guy almost rip his prop off his Sanger when he came flying into a cove that was now 4ft deep.

He made a hasty retreat when he looked at his depth gauge.

Edited by jeffmx

We were at Lake Nacmiento last week and we lost more than a foot just the week we were there. The lake is so far down from last year it was like being at a new lake.

Berryessa's way down too, the shoreline was never THAT good, but now it is extra steep and plugged up with underwater weeds. Our first trip back in June reminded us of our last trips in previous Septembers.

why is that happening? really sorry to hear. My lake is dammed to feed a canal system south of us that lets people take their houseboats around a bunch of flooded swamps... we go down 6 feet from spring to fall, then they dam it up again in the spring.

if they didn't dam it, I would be interested to see how the water levels would be affected, but its been dammed since before people have been up there.

Lake & river too full here. Lake is now only 23+ feet above normal (down from 25+) & river is about 6-8ft. All ramps closed. We have to head out of town to get our fix.

I do hate it when the lakes get low but thankfully we have the Delta....up with the tide, down with the tide.

why is that happening? really sorry to hear. My lake is dammed to feed a canal system south of us that lets people take their houseboats around a bunch of flooded swamps... we go down 6 feet from spring to fall, then they dam it up again in the spring.

if they didn't dam it, I would be interested to see how the water levels would be affected, but its been dammed since before people have been up there.

Our snow pack this past winter wasn't very good. Most our winter storms were pushed to the north of us Mad.gif to Pacific northwest.

It doesn't really rain in Cali in the summer (well almost never, except the occasional mountain t-storm) and the lakes are fed primarly by winter storm runoff and melting snowpack from the rivers. Snow/rain was way below average, so there's not as much water to hold back in the lakes/reservoirs.

12" drop per day isn't uncommon at our main lakes here in CA.. they had a low start this season due to the low rain, and snow pack. All-n-all the levels aren't that low considering how little rain/snow we got.

12" drop per day isn't uncommon at our main lakes here in CA.. they had a low start this season due to the low rain, and snow pack. All-n-all the levels aren't that low considering how little rain/snow we got.

Very True... But I am now seeing islands and trees that have not been seen in years.

We are at normal levels....

duh Biggrin.gif Try not 40K CFS and see where that lake level would be. Biggrin.gif

Regardless, that's where we are at. If the lake wasn't here you would still be getting that flow down there. This is exactly why we are on this lake. We had lake property on COE lakes before. No more thank you.

duh Biggrin.gif Try not 40K CFS and see where that lake level would be. Biggrin.gif

Regardless, that's where we are at. If the lake wasn't here you would still be getting that flow down there. This is exactly why we are on this lake. We had lake property on COE lakes before. No more thank you.

Flow is not the issue, a ACOE lake holding to over 20+ is the problem. Mad.gif I can honestly me and Texas/OK lake houses will not be a reality, just nothing fits the bill. Heading North, way North Biggrin.gif

If my lake was dropping at a rate of 12" a day, it would be gone in less than a 15 days. Cry.gif The average depth is like 8 ft or less over the entire lake. Dontknow.gif

Billfooter and myself ski on the river that feeds the main lake and it's average depth is probably 20' deep in the channel.

Flow is not the issue, a ACOE lake holding to over 20+ is the problem. Mad.gif I can honestly me and Texas/OK lake houses will not be a reality, just nothing fits the bill. Heading North, way North Biggrin.gif

Yes that's a problem but that's why they are FLOOD control lakes. Instead of flooding many people downstream they hold the water and let it out gradually. For the same reason you don't see much waterfront property on those lakes. If you have property on those lakes you have to expect rise & fall of the levels. As uncomfortable as that is, that is the way it works. Dontknow.gif

Our snow pack this past winter wasn't very good. Most our winter storms were pushed to the north of us Mad.gif to Pacific northwest.

And we thank you for that!

Our lake is still over flood pool level and probably will be for some time as downstream is flooded too.

Only water leaving is over the spillway - 1st time most of us have ever seen it this high.

The upside is all public ramps are closed - no Wallies.

Its about 30,000 acres 60ft avg depth with only 502 slips available in the only marina on the lake and only 300 or so slips filled and 90% of those boats never leave the dock.

Saturday was in the 90's, very lite winds, glass on the entire lake with only 10 boats on it.

Its like our own private 30K acre lake.

Yes that's a problem but that's why they are FLOOD control lakes. Instead of flooding many people downstream they hold the water and let it out gradually. For the same reason you don't see much waterfront property on those lakes. If you have property on those lakes you have to expect rise & fall of the levels. As uncomfortable as that is, that is the way it works. Dontknow.gif

Thats why we have houseboats in Cali. Thumbup.gif

I very well understand of what Whitney and other lakes that serve a similar purpose. What no one at the ACOE is why they did not let out more water after the Memorial Day Weekend rains. They basically reduced the flow to nothing when there were not problems downstream, which has increased the severity of the problems.

You and are making the same point, the ACOE does not have a gameplan that they stick to and go by. If you ask them a purpose for their lakes, they will mostly say to provide water, not a damn thing to do with recreation. If you look at why they dumped a million into Ham Creek, they say recreation. The ACOE is one of the worse GO's I have ever encountered.

I very well understand of what Whitney and other lakes that serve a similar purpose. What no one at the ACOE is why they did not let out more water after the Memorial Day Weekend rains. They basically reduced the flow to nothing when there were not problems downstream, which has increased the severity of the problems.

You and are making the same point, the ACOE does not have a gameplan that they stick to and go by. If you ask them a purpose for their lakes, they will mostly say to provide water, not a damn thing to do with recreation. If you look at why they dumped a million into Ham Creek, they say recreation. The ACOE is one of the worse GO's I have ever encountered.

It's a problem that is not exclusive to Texas. Ask the Californians here what they think of the management of the Delta system & see what responses that you'll get. ;)

Me, I'm not too worried about the water levels for this year. Next year is what I'm really worried about on that topic. Now fire danger, it's real, real bad here. It's only the first part of July & it's so dry that it feels like mid-late August.