Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Squeel noise when shifting into forward

My '01 SLXI makes a squeeling/rubbing noise everytime I shift from neutral into forward. Noise lasts about 1 second. Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it?

How long since you checked or changed your tranny fluid?

Plus1.gif I would change her out if you have not done so in the last 12 months. Could be low, could be contaminated.

How long have you owned the boat and is this noise new or different? The boat does normally make a slight shifting noise.

Ok, I've changed the tranny fluid. Squeel noise persists.

I am the second owner of the boat. Although I bought it last fall, I'm just now beginning to use it. The boat has only 75 hours and it was well taken care of (dealer serviced) for the most part. The noise occurs every time I shift from neutral into forward. The noise is similar to that of a belt slipping and it comes from the general direction of the lower rear of the boat.

It seems the faster you shift, the shorter the noise, and likewise, the slower you shift from neutral into forward, the longer the noise (1 sec.). I read another post the owner of '01 SLXI describing same thing. One reply to their post mentioned checking the shift cable. Could it have any thing to do with that? Unfortunately, the fix was not given in that thread.

Ok, I've changed the tranny fluid. Squeel noise persists.

I am the second owner of the boat. Although I bought it last fall, I'm just now beginning to use it. The boat has only 75 hours and it was well taken care of (dealer serviced) for the most part. The noise occurs every time I shift from neutral into forward. The noise is similar to that of a belt slipping and it comes from the general direction of the lower rear of the boat.

It seems the faster you shift, the shorter the noise, and likewise, the slower you shift from neutral into forward, the longer the noise (1 sec.). I read another post the owner of '01 SLXI describing same thing. One reply to their post mentioned checking the shift cable. Could it have any thing to do with that? Unfortunately, the fix was not given in that thread.

If it is making this noise while slipping into gear and is low in volume I believe this is perfectly normal. I have a 99 RLX and it has done this since the day I bought it in 01.

My '01 SLXI makes a squeeling/rubbing noise everytime I shift from neutral into forward. Noise lasts about 1 second. Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it?

Could be way off, but my 02 SLXI made a high pitched noise for a second or two and it was my strut bearings. I found this out after meeting a large rock and having a need to replace my strut and components of the underwater gear. Mad.gifMad.gif After I put everything back together I noticed my noise was gone.

If the previous owner ran the boat with a fake a lake and put the boat in gear out of water it doesn't take much for the bearings to burn up. Since these are lubricated with water and it sounds as though this boat hasn't seen much water time, your strut bearings could be starting to go. Just my .02.

Good luck and congrats on your boat. We LOVE our slxi.

Edited by krward
If it is making this noise while slipping into gear and is low in volume I believe this is perfectly normal. I have a 99 RLX and it has done this since the day I bought it in 01.

Plus1.gif

Forgot to mention that if it is a low pitched and low volume, it is perfectly normal and just the sound of everything working. If you are slower shifting the boat into gear does the sound last longer?

Edited by krward

I just talked with service manager for my local Malibu dealer. I described the issue to him. Like most of you, he thinks I'm hearing a normal noise produced by "ZF" transmissions when clutch engages. I would feel a whole lot better if he could hear it first hand and confirm this. Unfortunately, the service department just got slammed with repair work and is at least 3 weeks out before they could look at it. As one of you suggested, I will see if I can find another BU owner to listen and tell me what they think. Or perhaps I should insist the service mgr take 15 minutes (lake is only 5 min. from dealer) and listen to it first hand.

I plan to contact previous owner and ask if it always made this noise, since they are the original owner.

I will continue to try and get reliable confirmation because until then, I will not be 100% sure there is something else going on here.

I have this same kind of noise, but it continues to make the noise while I'm idling (like driving through a no wake zone). It doesn't occur in reverse, only forward. I've had the same responses: half the people say it's normal and the other half say have it checked. I can't get mine into the dealer either.

It sounds almost like a loose belt or low pitched whine in the drive line area (I think). I've also checked and added AT fluid.

...Or perhaps I should insist the service mgr take 15 minutes (lake is only 5 min. from dealer) and listen to it first hand.
Maybe phrase it as "Hey, how about I meet you at the lake after work and take you out for a pull and some cold ones and you can tell me what you think of the noise". :)
...Or perhaps I should insist the service mgr take 15 minutes (lake is only 5 min. from dealer) and listen to it first hand.
Maybe phrase it as "Hey, how about I meet you at the lake after work and take you out for a pull and some cold ones and you can tell me what you think of the noise". :)

I like how that sounds. I'd bet he would be inclined to going out to the lake with you if you said it that way. I know I wouldn't even have to think about it.

The reason I asked about it happening in both forward and reverse is because I'm thinking it's the strut bearing also.

It does not happen in reverse; only forward. I still need to contact original owner and ask if the noise has been there from day one. I will do this, and report back.

Strut bearing?...is that the same as shaft packing? The sales manager at local Malibu dealer also gave me his 2 cents, and said it could be the shaft packing and I should examine it and count the seconds between water drips, and if less than 1 drip/10 sec., I could try loosening nut 1/4 turn and see if it helps. Also added, it could be burned up and need replacing.

But, your question about it hearing it in reverse seems a logical test for ruling this out - if only happens in forward, it more likely indicates the noise is caused by transmission and not shaft packing or strut bearing - which would logically create a noise in either direction. Is that what you're getting at?