Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Horsepower Upgrade on LS1?

LS1boarder

Ok, so the previous owner of my boat said that the dealership gave him an option when he bought the boat that would up the horsepower by about 50. He thinks it was a different intake manifold that was available as an option. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Nothing like that was ever officially offered from Malibu or Indmar. Doesn't mean there isn't something out there, but 50 HP from bolt on parts out of an engine that's tuned pretty high to start with seems a little too good to be true.

Let us know if you find some details though, I'm sure there are others that would be interested in putting those claims to test.

Nothing like that was ever officially offered from Malibu or Indmar. Doesn't mean there isn't something out there, but 50 HP from bolt on parts out of an engine that's tuned pretty high to start with seems a little too good to be true.

Yeah I didn't think so since I asked my local dealership, and they knew nothing. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of companies who make aftermarket engine upgrades for boats.

Maybe I'll call the dealership where the boat was originally purchased, since they are the ones who told him about it.

I'd have to ask the obvious question, the stockhp in the LS1 isn't enough?

The obvious answer would be, heck no! There's no such thing as to much horsepower ! Biggrin.gif

The obvious answer would be, heck no! There's no such thing as to much horsepower ! Biggrin.gif

LOL! I'm a horsepower nut, and love to piss off the dudes with the high performance boats when I can keep up with them in my Malibu. I want to take it to the next level and actually be able to beat them. I know that's not what the boat was built for, but hey it's fun! They don't like it when they are trying to show off to their friends and a little ski boat keeps up with them!! Biggrin.gifRockon.gif

Ok, so the previous owner of my boat said that the dealership gave him an option when he bought the boat that would up the horsepower by about 50. He thinks it was a different intake manifold that was available as an option. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Could the original owner have been referring to the LS1 option itself? 2001 Monsoon = 325 HP 2001 LS1 = 375 HP

Could the original owner have been referring to the LS1 option itself? 2001 Monsoon = 325 HP 2001 LS1 = 375 HP

That has to be it, to get 50 hp from bolt on's is not that easy but there is plenty of hidden hp in the way the PCM's are tuned from the factory and to find someone who can baseline the actual hp to the prop will be very hard, there are some really good tuners out there that can get 30+ hp from factory stock motors but you need a dyno to know where you are starting.

(So if there are any tuners out there, here is a good business to start Rockon.gif )

But then you start running them rich and makes it more uncomfortable when you have the motor running smelling raw fuel burning. I am a hp freak also :blush: , but when it comes to running out in the water I put my green hat on.

Yeah maybe that was what he was thinking of when he told me that. I guess it would make sense seeing how the numbers match. He didn't remember it exactly since it was 4 years ago that he bought the boat.

I also don't want to run the engine rich enough to pour fuel into the lake. Although it does make a pretty rainbow on the surface of the water. :) Just kidding!

Or maybe if I took those huge silencers off the exhaust, and just run a straight pipe I would get some more horses. No, nevermind that would suck when trying to do any watersports, would piss off the people who live on the lake, and would attract the attention of the Sheriff. Not interested in any of that!

Edited by LS1boarder
LOL! I'm a horsepower nut, and love to piss off the dudes with the high performance boats when I can keep up with them in my Malibu. I want to take it to the next level and actually be able to beat them. I know that's not what the boat was built for, but hey it's fun! They don't like it when they are trying to show off to their friends and a little ski boat keeps up with them!! Biggrin.gifRockon.gif

If that's what you want to do removing the hook from the back of the hull and putting a trim tab on the boat will have more of an impact than bolt on mods ever could.

No, that's not what I want to do at all. I like how my boat is now. It's the best of both worlds, gives me the speed when I want it, and the watersports when I want that.

No, that's not what I want to do at all. I like how my boat is now. It's the best of both worlds, gives me the speed when I want it, and the watersports when I want that.

I don't know how fast your goes, but I went from a 65 mph mini daycruiser to my 42mph Bu fully loaded with bimini top and racks and I can totally tell the difference. Those days are over for me, but if I decide to keep it an add mods this would be it: LSX manifold, 90mm TB, cam (for more low end) and wet headers would be my choice. Those additions and a tune would be good for about 60 hp and I would only do it for the whole shot. Otherwise the money could be spent in many more other advantagous ways Beer.gif

Sorry, I re-read my post and realized it probably came of sounding a little "upitty". I just thought I would throw in my $0.02 that drag is what really kills the top speed on our boats, and throwing horsepower at the problem isn't the solution (if you're looking for top end).

I completely agree, our boats are the perfect compromise! :)

Sorry, I re-read my post and realized it probably came of sounding a little "upitty". I just thought I would throw in my $0.02 that drag is what really kills the top speed on our boats, and throwing horsepower at the problem isn't the solution (if you're looking for top end).

I completely agree, our boats are the perfect compromise! :)

No it's cool man, I didn't take it that way. I appreciate your input!!

I can respect that. Rockon.gif I just think getting more hp that's really going to make a difference is cost prohibitive. I'd like to see someone put a SC on though. Thumbup.gif