Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX fuel filter location

I've got a 2007 Malibu VLX (sweet boat), but I'm having a terrible time finding where the fuel filter(s) is/are. I have 150 hours already, so would like to replace the filter(s) -- yes, I should have done this awhile back.

Where on the boat are they? And where can I get the replacements (short of a Malibu dealer).

The engine is the Indmar 340 Monsoon.

thanks,

Brad Scott

These are the two fuel filters you have. The one with the barbs is in line between the tank and the fuel rail on the driver's side of the boat. The other one is mounted to the driver's side of the engine in a bracket. Make sure you put something under both of them to catch the fuel.

post-29-1183663225_thumb.jpg

These are the two fuel filters you have. The one with the barbs is in line between the tank and the fuel rail on the driver's side of the boat. The other one is mounted to the driver's side of the engine in a bracket. Make sure you put something under both of them to catch the fuel.

Does an '05 Monsoon 340 have the same two filters? Or just the one by the fuel tank?

These are the two fuel filters you have.

Actually no. The poster has a 2007, in which Malibu has switched to Pump-in-Tank, which therefore also has the filter in the tank. The 2007 boats should change the filters every 100 hours per Malibu's reccomendation. The in tank filter is a Wix 33048, and MUST NOT be cross-referenced over to another brand.

Hope that helps,

Peter

These are the two fuel filters you have.

Actually no. The poster has a 2007, in which Malibu has switched to Pump-in-Tank, which therefore also has the filter in the tank. The 2007 boats should change the filters every 100 hours per Malibu's reccomendation. The in tank filter is a Wix 33048, and MUST NOT be cross-referenced over to another brand.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Peter,

So do the '05 & '06 models just have the one inline filter or is there a second? I've looked for a second on mine but never found one, but that doesn't mean that it isn't there. Crazy.gif

Rats -- I though it would be easy to get to, but it looks like the panel is half under the rear seat, and half under the floor. Do I just need to remove the floor panel, then remove the 8 or so screws around the edge, and the rest is obvious? Or is the process more complicated than that?

It looks like even after I remove the floor panel the vertical support under the rear seat in the center will still be in the way.

Or, is there a better method to get to the filter?

Thanks!

Brad -

If you're doing this yourself, first thing is I have to reccomend that everyone should use a service shop to play with high pressure fuel systems.

That said - You'll need to bleed off the <60psi fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail. This is required to ensure that the system has no pressure in it from the pump forward. Locate the fuel filter, which is located below the orange-insulated high pressure fuel line. A snap ring holds the outlet and the filter in place. Using a Snap Ring Tool, remove the ring and pull out the filter. Replace in reverse.

There should be no reason to remove other parts, and definately don't remove the entire top flange off the fuel tank.

Peter

I'm just gonna stop posting answers to mechanical questions like I said I would.

Thanks for the clarification Peter.

But if you stopped how would you learn Pete?

It's better to try and fail than to have never tried? (Or something like that)

Peter

Peter,

Funny that I just stumbled onto this thread...my 2004 has nearly 120 hrs on the meter now and going to full synthetic after next weekend, and the thought did occur to me about the fuel filter. I see a fuel filter inline on the driver's side next to the Vdrive, next to the rear portion of the fuel tank...it say 8/04 on it in sharpie, which I presume that means it is original OEM from Malibu. Anyone have a recommendation for a fuel filter replacement? Does it matter, so long as it fits the hose and it a high quality filter? Does my 2004 LSV only have the one filter?

TIA,

Hey Brad,

Glad to see you back on the forum, been a long time for you. This is a great place for you to keep up with all things Malibu. 150 hours already, you are about halfway to the hours on your 06 which I now have 320 on. Get your filters changed and keep rolling up them hours.

Denny

Peter,

Funny that I just stumbled onto this thread...my 2004 has nearly 120 hrs on the meter now and going to full synthetic after next weekend, and the thought did occur to me about the fuel filter. I see a fuel filter inline on the driver's side next to the Vdrive, next to the rear portion of the fuel tank...it say 8/04 on it in sharpie, which I presume that means it is original OEM from Malibu. Anyone have a recommendation for a fuel filter replacement? Does it matter, so long as it fits the hose and it a high quality filter? Does my 2004 LSV only have the one filter?

TIA,

As others mentioned - it's a WIX 33299 filter. That or the Napa 3299 (made by WIX) is the only one to use.

Peter

Trying to make sure I do this right so I don't take the working boat out of commission while here at the lake in NH. Plus, I'm sure I'll need to do this several times, so I'm determined to do it myself. I got the fuel filter, and at a cost of $2.19, this should be a low cost replacement, if I do the labor.

First, I found the schrader valve just fine. Any tricks to avoid spilling the gas all over the engine when I release the pressure? I'll use a funnel into a jar and lots of shop towels, but I'm not sure if there is a better way.

Second, the fuel pump is half under the rear floor board -- should I remove that floor board? My concern is that the rear vertical panel is still directly above half the fuel pump. I can get to the spring clip easily, but it doesn't like like it will pull stright up with those obstacles.

fuelpump2.jpg

Also, what is the little piece to the left of the fuel pump running under the fuel line?

Thanks!!

It's more straightforward than you may guess.

The schrader valve will not release much fuel volume - a paper towel or two will handle that. No need for a jar, nor would that fit.

The fuel line only needs to lift up a 1/2" or so, at which time you can remove the filter. Keep lots of rags and towels handy here, for fuel will be overflowing as you remove the line. Remove the filter with a pick or a pair of needlenose, drop in the new one and reseat the pressure line.

Make sure the o-ring is in good condition when re-installing, and make sure the snap ring seats properly. At 60 psi fuel will leave the tank in a hurry.

Peter

One filter Tracie.

Peter.

That's what I thought, thanks as always Pete. :)

I feel better now, I couldn't find a second filter on 05 like on prior bu's. Thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...
The schrader valve will not release much fuel volume - a paper towel or two will handle that. No need for a jar, nor would that fit.

No guests for the first time in weeks, so I finally had a chance to get to this today. When I press on the schrader valve -- NO fuel comes out. I clearly pressed it all the way in. I wanted to do this in the morning with the engine cool, so hadn't run the boat since 1:00 pm yesterday. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it possible the pressure releases through the fuel pump overnight?

I was afraid to try to remove the snap ring in case there was still pressure. No sense taking a working boat out of commission when I'll need it in a few hours.

Thanks!

• 4 years later...

fuelpump2.jpg

Also, what is the little piece to the left of the fuel pump running under the fuel line?

Thanks!!

I attempted to change the fuel filter on my vlx but without the snap ring pliers and that silver clip was not budging. Is the fuel filter under this clamp at the end of the orange hose attached to the tank on my 08 vlx?

Also are these the pliers I will need to get the ring off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNAP-RING-PLIERS-4-IN-1-RETAINING-CIRCLIP-CLIP-TOOL-NEW-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3cb885a3ad&item=260793803693&pt=Pliers#ht_2290wt_1163

Edited by BlitzedVLX
  • 8 years later...
On 10/6/2011 at 7:09 AM, BlitzedVLX said:

I attempted to change the fuel filter on my vlx but without the snap ring pliers and that silver clip was not budging. Is the fuel filter under this clamp at the end of the orange hose attached to the tank on my 08 vlx?

Also are these the pliers I will need to get the ring off?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SNAP-RING-PLIERS-4-IN-1-RETAINING-CIRCLIP-CLIP-TOOL-NEW-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3cb885a3ad&item=260793803693&pt=Pliers#ht_2290wt_1163

@BlitzedVLX , I realize your post is almost a decade old, but I just did this filter change for the first time yesterday and wanted to know the same.  The snap ring pliers I used were like these:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/KNIPEX-8-1-4-in-45-Degree-Angled-External-Circlip-Pliers-46-31-A32/205944436

The job is literally five minutes to do (as others have said).  Once you release the pressure using the schrader valve (Starboard side fuel rail under the back of the engine cover) you just open the access panel in the rear storage, remove the snap ring, then the fuel line pops off the top of the fuel tank/pump assembly.  Once it was off I used the pliers to grab the old filter and pull it up out of the tank.  Drop the new one in there and reassemble (using the snap ring tool again) and you are good to go.  The part is the Wix 33048 (also called Napa 3048) and it costs $2.  

• 9 months later...
On 7/5/2007 at 3:20 PM, Pistol Pete said:

post-29-1183663225_thumb.jpg

Are these the same filters for a 2008 Lsv Sunscape?  Thanks