Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boatmate Trailers

Jimmy Buffett

The guy at Boatmate told me they no longer equip trailers with Goodyear Marathons. Anybody know what the standard tire is these days? I'd call them myself but they're closed until Monday and I'm impatient.

Thanks.

Wow, that's surprising. On Boatmate's website they have claimed for years that the Marathons were the best trailer tire made, and that's all they would use. Must have gotten a better deal from another supplier or something.

Our most recent trailer from them has "Trail America ST Radial" tires on it. Unfortunately there isn't much else to distringuish them, so I can't really provide you with any other information.

A quick Google search turned up that they are made by JCA Corp. You can view their website here.

Wow, that's surprising. On Boatmate's website they have claimed for years that the Marathons were the best trailer tire made, and that's all they would use. Must have gotten a better deal from another supplier or something.

I'm surprised as well. I have Goodyear Marathons on my '05 Boatmate.

Yep, that's what they were using up until sometime in Jan. I believe. I don't think the change was because of a quality issue with Good Year, although ICBW. If you're needed replacement tires, I think you're perfectly justified sticking with the Marathons.

They're sending me a spare tire/wheel and said they've switched brands. If I replace next year I may want to get matching tires for the other 4.

This is from their website today:

Every trailer rolls out of our facility with Goodyear Marathon radial tires. These are the best trailer tire available. We offer a wide selection of wheels (chrome, painted, galvanized and aluminum) and will try to find a custom wheel if desired.

While I've been extremely pleased with my Boatmate trailer and the customer service I've received from them, I hope they are not becoming a "product of their success" and starting to cheapen up their product to make a few more bucks....

Agree with RTS...hope it's not a sign of things to come. I've been kicking around selling my single axle Boatmate to buy a tandem. I'd probably look elsewhere if they didn't offer a Goodyear Marathon tire.

Their website says they'll sell you custom rims, so I'd imagine you can order whatever tire you want (but it might cost a little more).

Their website says they'll sell you custom rims, so I'd imagine you can order whatever tire you want (but it might cost a little more).

I seriously doubt "Trail America" tires are an additional cost option over the Goodyears.

But Kudos to the Trail America sales rep for converting Boatmate to their product.

I'll stick with the Goodyears until I have some proof that Trail America tires are better than Goodyear, thank you very much...

While I have no knowledge to this point, I've never seen BoatMate make any decision based on saving a few dollars. If past experience is any indicator, their switch to a different tire is most likely a result of the new tire performing just as well if not better as the Marathon's they were using.

Of course I'm sure they would never pay more for the new tires, I'm just saying I'm sure they didn't make the decision because it costs them less.

Edited by skicrave
their switch to a different tire is most likely a result of the new tire performing just as well if not better as the Marathon's they were using.

Then why not update their website to state that every trailer they make has "Trail America Tires" on it? I went to the link you posted for jca (Trail America) and other than showing their lineup of tires, I couldn't get to any specifications (load ratings, tire wear, etc).

Also, a Google search for "trail america tires" returned nothing.

If the specs on the Trail America Radial ST tire meet or exced those of the Goodyear Marathons that came on my Boatmate, I'll stand corrected...and apologize to Boatmate

What's wrong with saving money? If the product performs and lasts the same, I think saving money is a great reason.

I have no idea why they would have changed, but I don't believe the website has been updated in a longer time than mine has!

Peter