Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sportster Alarm won't go off

My 2000 Sportster started a beeping alarm on Tuesday. All gauges are showing normal including the oil pressure. Any ideas?

I read about the problem of faulty oil switches but wouldn't that cause the oil pressure guage to respond?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Alarms are triggered by three things. Low oil pressure,high cooling temps., and high trans. temps. The water temp and oil pressure sensors are seperate from the ones that drive your gauges.

My 2000 Sportster started a beeping alarm on Tuesday. All gauges are showing normal including the oil pressure. Any ideas?

I read about the problem of faulty oil switches but wouldn't that cause the oil pressure guage to respond?

Any advise would be appreciated.

The oil pressure is measured "twice"...once by a switch that sends a signal to the ECM (which would trigger your alarm), and again by a sending unit that sends its information to your guages.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just developed this problem, occationally on my Sportster. I'll be driving along, and the alarm will go off. The gauge reads zero. If I shut the engine down, and restart, everything is normal. It's been doing it once every few days.

Does this sound like the sending unit on the engine?

88 - not if the gauge reads zero as well - sounds like their might be a reason the alarm goes off. What engine?

Peter

88 - not if the gauge reads zero as well - sounds like their might be a reason the alarm goes off. What engine?

Peter

310 Carb It's done it three times in the past couple days, all while under power.

Edited by 88Skier

88, with both going off I'd have someone check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge just to be sure it's good. If so, the inlet tube (standoff pipe) may have some blockage in it or you may have an intermittent electrical open, or momentary loss of electrical power. Check all connections including battery and grounds.

Peter

Good info, thanks. I'll see if I can buy one at NAPA and test it myself.

I've never heard of an oil pump failing on any engine, but I'm sure it has happened.

I just ran into this problem last weekend also. All the gages were normal and the v-drive warning light was off as it should be while at speed.

I stopped and shut off the motor and restarted, but the alarm continued. I stopped again and checked all my fluids. Engine oil was good, transmission fluid was good, but the v-drive oil was a slightly below the low line.

So I figured that things were safe enough to get back to the houseboat, and when I restarted the alarm had stopped.

I've since replaced the v-drive oil and transmission fluid, and I checked the wiring to all the sensors on both the v-drive and the transmission, which looked good. So we'll see this weekend if I continue to get the alarms.

2 years ago, my alarm would not go off; gauge readings were OK. I finally took it in. Result: tranmission sensor went bad. They replaced it and all was good.