Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Insulated Ice Chest - SLXI

kbtheboz

I've read all of the threads about Malibu missing the boat, when it comes to insulating the ice chests on the SLXI's. As all you SLXI owners know, the ice won't last on a hot Texas day, so I took it as a personal challenge to fix it.

After exhasustive research and about 15 minutes in deep thought, I figured I could just drill holes in the bottom/sides of the built-in compartment and fill them with spray in foam insulation. After the foam cured, I could patch the holes and it would look like factory installed insulation. Well I drilled my holes and "shot" 3 cans of foam into the black holes and waited for it to come squishing out somewhere. It didn't squish out anywhere. I looked for it everywhere! It can't be seen from the anchor storage area, the drivers footwell area, the floor ski locker, it didn't spill over the sides and back into the ice chest, its not anywhere!

Has anyone attempted this, where did 10 ft^3 of foam go?

Nope, not in the bilge. I stood on my head, inside of the ski locker and I can't see any foam anywhere. I did learn a little bit more about the FIBECS system, though. Maybe I drilled a hole through the hull, and it is sitting in a pile on my garage floor. I didn't look there!

Okay, I'll admit that I haven't spent much time with my head in the ski locker, but the locker doesn't extend all the way to the sides of the boat, does it? :unsure:

Could the foam have found it's way to an area between the deck and the hull, beneath the seat compartment? Dontknow.gif

Add some more foam ... perhaps what you have put in there has created a barrier now that it has hardened and it will work this time.

What can it hurt to try?

/Steve

Add some more foam ... perhaps what you have put in there has created a barrier now that it has hardened and it will work this time.

What can it hurt to try?

/Steve

Great Minds........... I bought a couple of more cans and I'm going to go to drilling tonight and shoot foam till something gives, or I see something. I can't wait to try it out and see if the ice lasts longer. I'll keep all you SLXI owners up to date so maybe we can all start using these contraptions like they were intended.

Somebody needs to explain heat transfer to the engineers in Merced or wherever they hang out now.

Doesn't that spray insulation expand before hardening? I'd be a little concerned about the possibility of the stuff finding it's way into an area too small to hold it once expanded.

But hey, don't let me stop you from pressing onward in your quest for longer lasting ice capabilities on behalf of SLXi owners everywhere! Biggrin.gif

Great Minds........... I bought a couple of more cans and I'm going to go to drilling tonight and shoot foam till something gives, or I see something.  I can't wait to try it out and see if the ice lasts longer.  I'll keep all you SLXI owners up to date so maybe we can all start using these contraptions like they were intended.

Yes, please let us know, I only use my cooler for storing the water (and other beverages) that are "on deck" to go into a real cooler.

Get a 3/8" livewell stoper, put it in the drain, fill with beverages and ice. Keeping the cold H2O in the cooler vs. draining to the bilge helps the ice keep a lot longer.

just my .02

Look at the build pics posted in the gallery section. You will see that there is a huge amount of space under the deck. Not likely to fill that with spray foam. You are also likely to affect the bilge drainage or mess-up the air circulation. Best bet would be to decrease the vol. of the ice chest and add a foam liner. I have given up on insulating mine and just use it to store empties. I carry a cooler and keep it behind the drivers seat. It amazes me that they can give us satellite navigation but cannot insulate the ice chest. The heated cup holders in the rear of the motor box are a nice touch as well.

Get a 3/8" livewell stoper, put it in the drain, fill with beverages and ice.  Keeping the cold H2O in the cooler vs. draining to the bilge helps the ice keep a lot longer.

just my .02

I had to use a 5/8" livewell stopper in mine. The 3/8" was way to small. I am not sure if the different years have different size drain holes. I must say though....this works much better than letting the water drain in the bilge. Water was still ice cold the next morning!

Ken

Brazos,

I don't think I'm going to affect the bilge drainage, while I was standing on my head in the ski locker, you can see the Fibecs stringers and they are glassed and glued to the hull at the bottom and to the floor at the top. Thus, the bilge area is almost sealed off from the area I shot all of my foam. The air intake is directly into the channels of the hollow stringers of the Fibecs which doesn't come in contact with the void beneath the ice chest.

UPDATE:

My cordless drill took a dump last night, so I didn't get any new holes drilled or more foam squished into place. I'll keep you posted..... I'm pretty sure this thing will MAKE ice when I get finished!

I had to use a 5/8" livewell stopper in mine.

\

Hmmmmm You got me thinking. you could be right. 3/8 sounds a bit small. Have to check and see.

Dude! Be careful. That stuff is strong and will expand and potentially cause some damage. If there's no where for it to go, it may crack your cooler starting with the hole you drilled.

Here's a thread I recently finished on insulating my cooler on WSR LINK

Well I drilled my holes and "shot" 3 cans of foam into the black holes and waited for it to come squishing out somewhere. 

When I did my cooler project, I used 5 cans. I dont know if you put enough in. I really thought it would have went further but.... back to the store.

When I did my cooler project, I used 5 cans. I dont know if you put enough in. I really thought it would have went further but.... back to the store.

Well I caught up with you over the weekend. I am now up to 5 cans and it finally started to show at the seam around the top of the inner box shaped compartment. I still don't see any signs of foam anywhere else....

I haven't checked to see if the drain still drains. Headed to the lake Wed. and it is suppose to be 98 degrees F. I should get a chance to check it out then and see if it works of ir I have been "foaming in the wind"