Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 v-ride moldy smell ALREADY!

We have used our boat 10 times now and it seems that we already have a mold smell like dirty feet. We usually do not get that much water inside the boat so when I get home I take everything out to dry…and usually put the boat in the garage with all of the compartments open. This week when I cam out everything smells like mold. Even in the middle of the cabin area! What are some tricks for drying carpet when the boat is inside? We usually get home late on Sunday nights so leaving it in the sun is not an option. Also, is there a Marine Carpet cleaner that we can use to clean up the smell? Any other ideas to help?

Thanks.

Don't forget to open the vdrive and center ballast compartments as well...although you probably are doing that. It helps to air out the bilge. As for the smell, make sure that nothing is on the floor in any of the storage areas where water might be laying. I had a similar problem after I took one over the bow, and later realized it the smell was coming from under my sub. So I cleaned all the carpets and been ok since.

Hope this helps,

We have used our boat 10 times now and it seems that we already have a mold smell like dirty feet. We usually do not get that much water inside the boat so when I get home I take everything out to dry…and usually put the boat in the garage with all of the compartments open. This week when I cam out everything smells like mold. Even in the middle of the cabin area! What are some tricks for drying carpet when the boat is inside? We usually get home late on Sunday nights so leaving it in the sun is not an option. Also, is there a Marine Carpet cleaner that we can use to clean up the smell? Any other ideas to help?

Thanks.

I have had the same problem. I stuck a fan in the window of my shop and cracked a couple windows to get the air circulating. It dries a lot faster than just sitting there. I do leave it out in the sun to dry when possible, but I also hate sun bleaching the thing... -Charlie.

Sometimes you still get the smell after the carpet dries. I've found that Febreeze works well at eliminating the smell right away. The only times I have ever gotten the moldy smell is after we take water over the bow. If it goes in the garage with the carpet wet up front at all, we can smell it the next morning.

We also had the same problem and found that water gets trapped under the fat sacs. Now we lift them up and soak up the water with towels, it's a pain but we have no other choice.