Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Cap Tether

White Lightning

Hi Guys,

Had a problem with my gas cap tether this weekend... it broke while I was filling the boat with a jerry can and sunk to the bottom of the lake. Had to have one couriered in from my dealer. Anyone else had this problem? Upon closer inspection the tether is a real thin cable which I think is useless so I did not reattach a tether to my new cap. It is easier and safer just to place it on the sundeck during the fill -up. So beware when filling up using jerry cans. This is definetly something Malibu should address at some point.

White Lightning

Both of mine are broke as well, but I'd rather it be this way because I don't want the gel coat all scratched up. I find it easier to set it on the sun deck like you mentioned because I always know were I set it when filling up. Never let your friends do it because they'll just forget to put it back on Crazy.gif

Just be careful with it.

One of my cables broke last year, but I repaired it. Thumbup.gif

I had a friend drop one of my caps in the Delta once on another boat, so the cable is definately staying on this one.

My boat is a 2000 model and it had a small chain instead of a cable. It has been broken since the second year that I bought it. I hardley ever fuel on the water so I don't worry about dropping it in the water, but I do worry that someday I'll leave it at the gas station.

My cable hasn't been a problem, but the screws keep coming off the cap. I have been lucky both times and the screw is still atached to the cable, but I fear one day the screw will fall into the tank. I'm not sure waht do do to keep this from happeneing.

My cable hasn't been a problem, but the screws keep coming off the cap. I have been lucky both times and the screw is still atached to the cable, but I fear one day the screw will fall into the tank. I'm not sure waht do do to keep this from happeneing.

Personally I think no tether is the way to go. I am much more careful with the cap now and the point made earlier about scratching the gelcoat is a good one. I advocate for letting the caps go free!!! Clap.gif LOL

W.L.

Personally I think no tether is the way to go. I am much more careful with the cap now and the point made earlier about scratching the gelcoat is a good one. I advocate for letting the caps go free!!! Clap.gif LOL

W.L.

I have often mentioned to my wife that we should find a rubber type grommet to fit around the cap

this would eliminate the scratching

has anyone here put something around their gas cap?

I still have the chain and fill up on the water.

I do get nervous and do not trust it - I know its gonna go someday.

I was just noticing the other day how thin that cable is wearing. I didn't see a way to replace it so I thought about simply cutting it. I'm sure there is a nice way to detach it. Please let me know if anyone does. Perhaps I just need to look closer.

I scratched my gel the first time I filled and now I always have a towel under the cap. I simply take a microfiber towl and put it on the boat. The cap has enough weight to hold it in place. No more scratches.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just noticing the other day how thin that cable is wearing. I didn't see a way to replace it so I thought about simply cutting it. I'm sure there is a nice way to detach it. Please let me know if anyone does. Perhaps I just need to look closer.

I scratched my gel the first time I filled and now I always have a towel under the cap. I simply take a microfiber towl and put it on the boat. The cap has enough weight to hold it in place. No more scratches.

this is wierd. i was thinking same past weekend. that metal cable could not be thinner. looks like dental floss. i gas in 4 feet of water so no big deal when it breaks and it will. hopefull water will be warm?

I do the same, but I generally fill at a gas station with my boat on the trailer. I use a paper towel I grab from the gas station, put it under the cap though, it catches the spilled gas that used to spill and get trapped under the rubrail.

• 1 month later...

I also lost a cap at the dock pump at Lake Nacimiento a few weeks ago.

Broke the chain of our 06 V-Ride.

Tillys sent me a new cap $45 plus shipping. The new one has a 7" thin coated stainless cable including the eyelets.

I removed the filler tube to install the new cap.

The new cable and eyelets are barely long enough to clear the nozzle when filling.

Something like this would be better.

Polished%20billet%20fuel%20door.jpg

I also lost a cap at the dock pump at Lake Nacimiento a few weeks ago.

Broke the chain of our 06 V-Ride.

Tillys sent me a new cap $45 plus shipping. The new one has a 7" thin coated stainless cable including the eyelets.

I removed the filler tube to install the new cap.

The new cable and eyelets are barely long enough to clear the nozzle when filling.

Something like this would be better.

Polished%20billet%20fuel%20door.jpg

I agree. I wonder why there isn't a simpler solution like this around?

I agree. I wonder why there isn't a simpler solution like this around?

Because it costs more. My chain broke from the pressure of a gas can spout within the first few months. I like it better with no chain and have only had to go diving once. Biggrin.gif

Actually, after a little more though about the cap pictured in previous posts, perhaps not a positive seal. That is, when you screw on a cap, the o ring seals shut and precludes water entry. A spring flap may not provide enough insurance.

Actually, after a little more though about the cap pictured in previous posts, perhaps not a positive seal. That is, when you screw on a cap, the o ring seals shut and precludes water entry. A spring flap may not provide enough insurance.

Haven't looked at it closely, but is it possible to replace the chain with a longer, thicker one? That might solve your problems.

Our old boat used this style:

It worked very well but the ski rope could snag on it. It is marine rated and self venting.

390124.jpg

I had to buy a new cap for one side of the boat. My daughter took the boat out a few weeks ago and said that both caps came unscrewed with one side eventually breaking the chain. Of course, they forgot to screw the caps back on after putting in gas - oh well. There was some significant gouging from the flopping caps, but I got them all removed with sanding and buffing. The dealer was out of caps so had to order some more. They told me that a 1.5" PVC pipe screw would work temporarily, and it did. Since then the caps came in and my daughter bought a new one for the boat. I'll keep the $1 PVC piece in the boat as an emergency back up.

My old cap was secured by a chain, the new one by a cable. I'll have to decide now, based on this thread, whether to attach the cable or not.

Funny, my cap broke this weekend at the gas dock. Fortunately I was able to retrieve it (only 5' of water). Not sure if I'll repair the chain or just keep it removable.

My chains are still in good condition, but I never fuel up on the water. It is just as fast to pull the boat out and run to the gas station than fill up 8 jerry can and pour them into the boat and lake.

I'll have to decide now, based on this thread, whether to attach the cable or not.

I think you have to pull the filler flange to reattach it.

electricjohn, put the cans in two at a time--better ski wake! :)

I'll have to decide now, based on this thread, whether to attach the cable or not.

I think you have to pull the filler flange to reattach it.

Ah, then it may well not get attached if that is the case.

I hadn't thought of that, and the boat is in the water right now with the ghetto PVC plug in place.

Well, look at it this way: You can spray paint graffiti on lots of different PVC plugs and use one appropriate for each occasion. ;)

Then my boat would look like a Mastercraft. :lol: