Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

throttle cable to tight

i have a 95 sunsetter with a 454. before i bought it the owner had replaced the throttle cable. the throttle seems to be a little tight. is there a way i can adjust it to where the thottle will stay in place without having to hold it

Too tight meaning the throttle wants to go to the close position and you have to keep pressure on the handle to keep it open or at the same setting?

You can put a small hose clap on the cable and tighten GENTLY A LITTLE BIT AT A TIME until it compresses the cable cover just a little bit to create enough drag so that it will hold speed without you having to hold the throttle lever all the time. Do not over tighten!!

You will find if you disassemble the throttle that there are little rubber rub tabs. These are there to keep the throttle at a constant position. Make sure they are in place and assembled correctly. You also might have a tight throttle cable or too strong of a return spring or it is installed incorrectly.