Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another... prop question

USA.gif Happy Fourth! Hi all. New member here. I know most of you are probably out on the water today, but I have a question about my prop. I've owned a 2005 Iride for a little over a year now. Love the boat. But a few days ago I bent the prop. Each of the three blades is folded over at the tips about 90 degrees. I didn't notice right away and was probably on the lake another couple hours tubing. I need some encouraging words. Did I do any damage to the shaft or engine? :( I did notice it didn't "feel" right on the water, but I thought I'd just got some weeds up in there. Another question, how difficult is it to replace the prop? I've seen the tutorials on this site and it doesn't look too complicated. Can I do it while it's on the lift (the water's not that deep) or do I have to put it on a trailer? Recommendations on a prop puller? And where to buy a new prop.

Thanks for the help!

Welcome.gif to the crew

As for props, the new OJ 475 (do a search tons of info) is one of the best all around props for your boat. You will loose a few MPH on the top end but the hole shot is so sweet. Delta Propellers (look in links section) is a good place to go and let them know your with the Crew. This will help the site out in the future. You should also pick up a puller kit that way you will have spare parts and a bag for your newly repaired spare prop. Both OJ and ACME have great sets, IMO the OJ SS puller is a little stronger but still can be broken as some have found out. Whistling.gif

Pulled this off a different thread but will give you all the info on how to pull your prop and install it.

Mod's can we put this in the tech area?

Just talked with Eric at OJ and he is sending me a replacement puller (excellent customer experience from OJ).

He also was sure to mention to me the following so I'm posting in hopes this helps someone else:

On Prop Pull

1) Keep the nylock nut on the end of the shaft, the prop will shoot off the shaft without it

2) If doing a prop change on a lift or in a lake (which I am) tie off the puller to something because it will pop off into the lake when the prop goes (I may also add some bright color to the puller, easier to find in four feet of water Innocent.gif ).

3) Make sure to have key in 12:00 position (yep) and;

On Prop Install

1) When done correctly, there should be a clear, metal to metal "pop" sound that ensures the prop is properly seated on the shaft.

2) It may take a couple of trys to shove the new prop on, don't use the nut to drive it on, this usually causes the key to "walk" which isn't what you want

Everyone has been very helpful, I look forward to applying this additional information and hopefully reporting back on a successful prop change. Acme 381 to OJ 475 (XMP Edge). Rockon.gif AND trying out the new Yellow Loogey from Insland Surfer Clap.gif .

Welcome.gif to the crew

As for props, the new OJ 475 (do a search tons of info) is one of the best all around props for your boat. You will loose a few MPH on the top end but the hole shot is so sweet. Delta Propellers (look in links section) is a good place to go and let them know your with the Crew. This will help the site out in the future. You should also pick up a puller kit that way you will have spare parts and a bag for your newly repaired spare prop. Both OJ and ACME have great sets, IMO the OJ SS puller is a little stronger but still can be broken as some have found out. Whistling.gif

Pulled this off a different thread but will give you all the info on how to pull your prop and install it.

Mod's can we put this in the tech area?

Just talked with Eric at OJ and he is sending me a replacement puller (excellent customer experience from OJ).

He also was sure to mention to me the following so I'm posting in hopes this helps someone else:

On Prop Pull

1) Keep the nylock nut on the end of the shaft, the prop will shoot off the shaft without it

2) If doing a prop change on a lift or in a lake (which I am) tie off the puller to something because it will pop off into the lake when the prop goes (I may also add some bright color to the puller, easier to find in four feet of water Innocent.gif ).

3) Make sure to have key in 12:00 position (yep) and;

On Prop Install

1) When done correctly, there should be a clear, metal to metal "pop" sound that ensures the prop is properly seated on the shaft.

2) It may take a couple of trys to shove the new prop on, don't use the nut to drive it on, this usually causes the key to "walk" which isn't what you want

Everyone has been very helpful, I look forward to applying this additional information and hopefully reporting back on a successful prop change. Acme 381 to OJ 475 (XMP Edge). Rockon.gif AND trying out the new Yellow Loogey from Insland Surfer Clap.gif .

Awesome! Thanks for the great info!

It doesn't sound likely that you did any damage to your shaft, and certainly not to the engine.

When you get the new prop on, take the boat out and feel for any vibration.

OJ is the way to go. Great product and even better customer service should you ever need it. You will need a puller to do the job. Follow the advice above. Also, I would go with a new nylock when you put your new prop on. Used nylocks can be a PITA to put back on sometimes.

Oh, and yes we would have been on the water today but our local lake is closed from the recent flooding Cry.gif

Edited by Lakenut