Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hard to crank

I have a 23 lsv w/ the 8100 vortex. It takes a few sec. to start to turnover when i try to crank.

Is this normal or do i need to have this checked out?

Could be a battery issue.

Does the starter run for awile before it turns over, or is there nothing for a bit before it starts up?

My 07 VLX also cranks a few seconds before firing. From what I've been told, this is 'normal'. My previous boat cranked once and fired. Something isn't quite right in the timing somewhere IMO, but that's beyond my abilities to fix.

One thing I've been told repeatedly, is to turn the key to ON, wait a couple of seconds for the fuel pump to prime (you can hear it), and then turn it on. That didn't really do much for me, but...

I have an 07 V-ride with the same issue. It has been in the shop several times for this with no fix. The first few times they said it was a calibration problem. They said that the computer was thinking the engine was cold when it was actually warm so it calibrated the fuel for a cold start. After the third time in the shop Malibu said that 3 seconds for crank time is well within the specs. I personally think its way to long but am tired of debating with Malibu.

Good luck

I was told by the dealer to turn the key to on and wait for the gauges to power up before starting. Boast always starts immediately.

Those of you with 2007 boats should contact your dealer to see when your boat was built (or post the last 4 digits of the HIN number on the transom of the boat).

The fuel pump that was used for the new in tank design on early MY boats wasn't happy and in some cases needs to be replaced. The number of boats effected is VERY small, and unless your boat is exhibiting hard starting there is no reason to bother your dealer. This only applied to 2007 MY boats, and only to boats that are showing symptoms, so those of you with 2006 models don't need to worry about this.

Those of you with 2007 boats should contact your dealer to see when your boat was built (or post the last 4 digits of the HIN number on the transom of the boat).

The fuel pump that was used for the new in tank design on early MY boats wasn't happy and in some cases needs to be replaced. The number of boats effected is VERY small, and unless your boat is exhibiting hard starting there is no reason to bother your dealer. This only applied to 2007 MY boats, and only to boats that are showing symptoms, so those of you with 2006 models don't need to worry about this.

Any Idea how to do this at home? Tired of dealing with the dealer

Any Idea how to do this at home? Tired of dealing with the dealer

How to do what? If you just want to find out when your boat was built give us the last four digits of the HIN.

If you believe your boat is one of the ones that needs to have the pump replaced, it will have to go to the dealer for diagnosis and repair (Indmar won't ship a fuel pump to a consumer).