Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Line length for slalom free skiing?

Green_Giant

Out of curiosity for the slalom wise, what do you recommend in terms of rope length while free skiing? I’m somewhat consistent making the course at full length at 34 and have started working on 36 (have only made it a few times). Unfortunately, I seldom if ever have opportunity to get on a course these days so just work on my free skiing instead. I always ski at 36 and usually 22 off but am curious from a free skiing perspective what line length I should stick to? Pro's / Con's? Thanks!

Out of curiosity for the slalom wise, what do you recommend in terms of rope length while free skiing? I’m somewhat consistent making the course at full length at 34 and have started working on 36 (have only made it a few times). Unfortunately, I seldom if ever have opportunity to get on a course these days so just work on my free skiing instead. I always ski at 36 and usually 22 off but am curious from a free skiing perspective what line length I should stick to? Pro's / Con's? Thanks!

the more you ski at 22 open water the easier it will be to transition into the course. 22off has a rooster tail so moving to 28 will be easier if you consistently ski at 22off.

the more you ski at 22 open water the easier it will be to transition into the course. 22off has a rooster tail so moving to 28 will be easier if you consistently ski at 22off.

Yah, 28 was a blast on Sunday, just wanting to make sure I wasn't doing myself a disservice by shortening the line in open water before progressing to near that level on the course.

I like to do that actually. I'm pretty much a '22 course skier. I like to free ski at 28' and 32' to really get used to fast paced turning and letting the boat do the work for me. When I drop back to '22, the course feels nice and slow.

Same as above, but I'm not a course skier. Never longer than 22 off. I like to progress just like I was in a course, and shorten the line after after a good run.

A couple years ago I shortened the rope to 41 off and took a free ski. Now that was narly. Crazy.gif

That was back when I thought if I could free ski at -38 I could ski the course at -35. ROFL.gif

I just did that this morning. I got some free skiing time real early on Lake Misaukee (2.6 miles across, pure glass)

:biteme:

Cheers.gif

We free ski at 35 off all the time. When I had my old boat Centurion Elite V drive we skied at 41 off The wake was great there. I think it's a great workout on short line. We ski as fast as we can side to side rope needs to get to the font corner of the engine box. Oh ya you can read the speedo just tap the driver on the sholder if you need his attention. Crazy.gifCrazy.gifYahoo.gif