Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 335 valve tick question

I have a 2003 Sunsetter LXI with a Monsoon 335 motor. Boat has been flawless since new but something happened last weekend that concerned me. I never really spend any time at full throttle, just what ever it takes to get up to 34mph and then let Perfect Pass take over. Last weekend I decided to run it for a few minutes at full throttle. After I idled back down there was a valve tick that lasted for 30 seconds and then went away. Boat ran fine afterwards but I still have an uneasy feeling about it. Should I be concerned? Thx for any insight you may have.

Jerry

Edited by DNA'er

I'm no mechanic, but I do know that when you run at full throttle, the oil gets whipped pretty good and can thin out on important parts. My guess is that the oil thinned out, the tick appeared because there was not enough oil to properly lubricate it, and then when the oil regained some viscosity, it protected again. I think you're fine...what can you really do anyway? Check the oil level too...if there's not enough oil, then physically theres not enough to cover the important parts.

Basically you got air in a lifter from foaming the oil. Different oils have different additives and you'll find that most racing oils won't foam at higher rpms like your talking about. They have reduced detergents for this reason, reducing foaming of the oil.

Try something like Vavoline 20w50 Racing oil next time.

Change your oil. Use the proper viscosity range recommended in your manual - mine calls for Pennzoil 15-40W. Be sure and use API grade CH-4 or CH-4+ (extreme duty). Pennzoil Marine meets that API grade.

I am using Valvoline semi-synthetic 15w-40, the viscosity called for in the manual, but I am not sure of the API grade. I figured the semi-synthetic would give me an added measure of protection and these usually have the highest API grade. I worry about moving to a racing oil with less detergent additive....have others done this?

I am using Valvoline semi-synthetic 15w-40, the viscosity called for in the manual, but I am not sure of the API grade. I figured the semi-synthetic would give me an added measure of protection and these usually have the highest API grade. I worry about moving to a racing oil with less detergent additive....have others done this?

I ran Vavoline racing oil in my Mastercraft until the day I sold it. It had 700 hours on it. My Malibu has over 500 and had nothing but vavoline 20w50 racing oil. Rockon.gif