Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat problems

So I finally put some hours on my Ride xti....After reading the manual...I thought I had figured things out, however, I have some questions I was hoping someone can help me out with.

1. I have the standard midballast. On the digital display it has a Ballast button, and I thought the salesman said when you fill it, the display will tell you if it is full or not ( and what level ). However, if I push the button...it defaults to the mph/tach display. Does the Ride have the option, or is it not available? If not...how does a person know when the bag is full?

2. If I hit some rough water..or even sharp turns, the display...and all guages shut down for a second or so and then restart up. In calm waters they work fine....Is this a common problem, or one of those new boat quarks to work out.

3. Lastly...the Speed control only works some of the time. If I hit the cruise button once, it displays speed actual / set...twice and it displays RPM actual / set...however...it won't turn from off to on if I hit the red button..The manual says hit the cruise button to turn it on, however, when I try that, it goes from speed to rpm and back...

Any suggestions or info would help...My dealer is impossible to contact..

Thanks

So I finally put some hours on my Ride xti....After reading the manual...I thought I had figured things out, however, I have some questions I was hoping someone can help me out with.

1. I have the standard midballast. On the digital display it has a Ballast button, and I thought the salesman said when you fill it, the display will tell you if it is full or not ( and what level ). However, if I push the button...it defaults to the mph/tach display. Does the Ride have the option, or is it not available? If not...how does a person know when the bag is full?

2. If I hit some rough water..or even sharp turns, the display...and all guages shut down for a second or so and then restart up. In calm waters they work fine....Is this a common problem, or one of those new boat quarks to work out.

3. Lastly...the Speed control only works some of the time. If I hit the cruise button once, it displays speed actual / set...twice and it displays RPM actual / set...however...it won't turn from off to on if I hit the red button..The manual says hit the cruise button to turn it on, however, when I try that, it goes from speed to rpm and back...

Any suggestions or info would help...My dealer is impossible to contact..

Thanks

1. Did you toggle it back & forth? If you push the button again, it should go back to the ballast screen.

2. I had that problem, albeit infrequently. I got under the dash & tightened up the nut on the main ground breaker bar. It was a little loose, & I think that may have fixed it. You may give that a try.

3. Are you trying to engage it while at speed? Most people can't do that, it has to be turned on while in neutral or at least idle speed. I was actually able to get mine to turn on at about 14mph in the middle of a relatively hard corner, but that's the only time that I can think of above about 5mph.

1. I did play with the switch...no luck

2. Thanks...I will look underneath the dash and see if I can notice anything loose.

3. I was trying to engage the speed control over 10-15 mph...I will try next time in neutral....

Thanks alot....my I/O did not have all these fancy toys...

1. I did play with the switch...no luck

2. Thanks...I will look underneath the dash and see if I can notice anything loose.

3. I was trying to engage the speed control over 10-15 mph...I will try next time in neutral....

Thanks alot....my I/O did not have all these fancy toys...

Haha, you'll love it once you get everything dialed in. Try playing around with that ballast button a little more. It can be a little tricky to figure out, but it's not bad once you know the system. If you're showing the mph/rpm screen (or any of the other screens that you can scroll through using the up/down arrows), then pushing the ballast button should take you to the ballast screen & pushing it once more would take you back to the previous screen. All of this has to be done of course with the key on. Also, you can set which screen the lcd defaults to on startup in the settings menu, maybe there's something funky going on with that.

EDIT: One more thing - when speed control is on, pushing the ballast button only takes you to that screen for like 4 seconds, then it goes back to the speed control screen.

Sorry you're having troubles with the new boat.

The Ride series boats do not come with BMS (ballast monitoring). Whilte it's conceivable that you could add it to the vRide, the XTi-Ride makes use of a soft bag in the locker, so there is no way to measure how full it is. You can tell when it is full because water will come out of the vent fitting installed in the side of the boat, just in front of the driver.

The most common cause of that is a loose ground. Lay on your back with your head under the dash. Looking up and to your left you'll see the Bus bar that WakeGirl mentioned. Make sure all of the wires connected to that are secure. If that doesn't fix it, take the boat to the dealer (no matter how hard they are to contact).

The system can only be turned on if the boat is travelling 6 MPH under the set speed. The next time you're in the boat try it while sitting still. Enter the speed control screen by pressing the cruise button once, then press the red button to arm the system. The screen should switch from SPEED OFF -> SPEED ON. At that point you're ready to roll.

Let us know if that doesn't clear things up and we'll do a little more research for you.

The system can only be turned on if the boat is travelling 6 MPH under the set speed. The next time you're in the boat try it while sitting still. Enter the speed control screen by pressing the cruise button once, then press the red button to arm the system. The screen should switch from SPEED OFF -> SPEED ON. At that point you're ready to roll.

Ah yes, that is the secret I was looking for! I guess it might not be a secret as it probably says it in the owners manual somewhere. :unsure:

Ah yes, that is the secret I was looking for! I guess it might not be a secret as it probably says it in the owners manual somewhere. :unsure:

Not that I've found, I didn't know that & I'm not sure that I can get mine to do that. At wakeboarding speeds I've only ever been able to replicate this once, & that was in the middle of a hard turn. Otherwise we have to slow down to around 5mph to turn it on.

Not that I've found, I didn't know that & I'm not sure that I can get mine to do that. At wakeboarding speeds I've only ever been able to replicate this once, & that was in the middle of a hard turn. Otherwise we have to slow down to around 5mph to turn it on.

Yeah, I know I've gotten it to turn on a few times above 15mph or so but can't figure out a pattern as to why. Now I'll see if the 6 mph is the key. It's a beautiful week to have the next 5 days off! Happy 4th everyone! Clap.gifUSA.gif

When I read that and it finally clicked for me it was like seeing the light. Since that point I've never had any problems getting it to engage.

Good luck with your testing Molarbu. ;)