Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vent in storage compartment? What is it for?

There is a vent in the port side storage compartment (where the amps are located). There is a plastic vent hose that goes from the bottom of the cabinet to the top of the cabinet. What is this hose for?

That is the hose for the Active Air Induction system. It feeds fresh air down into the bilge and engine compartment from the vents that are either up near the bow of the boat (on 20 LSV and 247 LSV models) or under the windshield (on 21 and 23 LSV models).

• 2 weeks later...

Last night while cleaning (drying) out my boat from having 5 inches of rain dumped in it over the past few days, I also noticed a sagging vent hose than runs from near my glovebox to the engine compartment. The hose kinda looks like a clothes dryer vent hose. Anyways, it was full of water. I crawled around under the compartments and was able to lift the hose enough to get the water to run out of it. I'm going to pull my manuals tonight and see what it says about it, but in the meantime, maybe someone can tell me if this is normal (to have the hose fill with water). My boat is usually always covered (so not exposed to large amounts of rain), but I had it in a boat slip at a lake for 5 days without it being covered. My bilge pump is also not working, so I've got to investigate that as well. I'm going to start by checking the fuse on it. Now I'm a little nervous about all that rain in my boat and wondering if anything else is wrong! :(

It's not "normal" for there to be water in that hose, but if the boat sat out exposed for a few days in the rain, it's not surprising that water worked it's way into the hose from the vent under the windshield. It won't cause any damage, and you basically dumped that water down into the bilge by moving the hose, so (once you get it fixed) your bilge pump will get rid of the water. Your manual isn't going to say anything about those hoses, but hopefully that explanation was good enough. If you've still got questions let us know.

As for your Bilge pump, check the circuit breaker, and I would also pull the pump off the housing (it just lifts off) to make sure there isn't any debris stuck in the impeller.

It's not "normal" for there to be water in that hose, but if the boat sat out exposed for a few days in the rain, it's not surprising that water worked it's way into the hose from the vent under the windshield. It won't cause any damage, and you basically dumped that water down into the bilge by moving the hose, so (once you get it fixed) your bilge pump will get rid of the water. Your manual isn't going to say anything about those hoses, but hopefully that explanation was good enough. If you've still got questions let us know.

As for your Bilge pump, check the circuit breaker, and I would also pull the pump off the housing (it just lifts off) to make sure there isn't any debris stuck in the impeller.

Thanks skicrave! I'm going to crawl around inside the boat tonight and see if I can locate the bilge pump (it does state in my manual where it is located), and see about the circult breaker. This all seems like simple stuff, but I'm limited in my mechanical skills. I now wish I would have taken shop class in high school! Someone needs to come out with a "Working on Malibus for Dummies" book. :blush:

The bilge pump is in the back of the boat behind the engine. The bilge might be working but not sucking the water out of the boat because there may not be enough water in the hull of the boat. If there isn't enough water around the bilge it will not turn on automatically. But once you get the boat up on plane where the back of the boat is lower than the front it should then kick on and pump all the water out. A quick way to see if the bilge is working is try flipping the switch on at the dash and listen to see if it kicks on. If that doesn't work then check the fuses. You may have already done this but thought I would suggest it anyway.