Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dash beep - confused about oil sensor

Hey everyone,

The last few days I’ve had an intermittent beep coming from the dash that only occurs when I hit exactly 1000 RPM’s. Today it got real bad and wouldn’t shut up any time I went above 1K. Did some searching and dug up lots of great info about the oil sending unit. In the boat, Ive got 2 wires that plug into the area near the filter, and need help narrowing down which wire does what. My symptoms seem to be opposite what everyone else was reporting

I’ve got a blue wire that plugs into a jack that runs parallel with the engine block. When I disconnect this wire the boat still beeps and the gauge reports low oil pressure. When I ground it it reports full oil pressure, but still beeps. This obviously seems to be the gauge sensor.

There is a brown wire that also has the same type of connector as the blue wire, but it plugs into a jack that runs perpendicular with the engine block, right near the oil filter. When I disconnect (NOT GROUND) this wire the beeping stops. Nothing else changes, all the gauges remain the same, boat runs fine…etc. Only the beeping stops. When I ground it the beeping starts.

At first I thought I had a faulty oil pressure sensor (as mentioned numerious times in other threads), and grounding that wire is supposed to isolate the problem. But the sensor connected to the brown wire is clearly the problematic one. What is this sensor, and what does it do??

Thanks,

Chad

Chad, that's the oil pressure switch - it is wired to the ECM to set off the alarm if oil pressure is low. If the switch fails the alarm goes off. For some reason this year has produced 4-5 switch failures for us, I just replaced another one yesterday.

Peter

Thanks Peter!! You have saved the day once again.

Do you happen to have one in stock?? I'd love to have it by Tuesday! Big week coming up. I'll give you a ring first thing tomorrow.

Here is a picture for those of you wondering.

Thanks again,

Chad

P.S. - any word on that carpet, peter??

post-1978-1183346170_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Am going to try this tomorrow myself, via testing the wire unplugging, etc...mine seems to be similar to this thread. Guess most Indmar dealers should stock the oil pressure switch?

Would it possibly display "Bad Oil Pressure" on startup on some models, like mine, for instance?

Yes, in stock.

I'm out on a delivery all day tommorrow - call for Lin if you need one shipped.

Peter

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

Finally got to test mine yesterday! Started it up...beep-beep-beep, etc. Stopped and pulled the brown wire from the oil pressure switch, NO-beep. Thumbup.gif Did this test 4 times and let the boat completely warm up...confirmed. Yahoo.gif

At least now I know...and it isn't near the PITA that the tranny temp sensor was last year. My new one should be here today!

Am going to try this tomorrow myself, via testing the wire unplugging, etc...mine seems to be similar to this thread. Guess most Indmar dealers should stock the oil pressure switch?

Would it possibly display "Bad Oil Pressure" on startup on some models, like mine, for instance?

Yes, in stock.

I'm out on a delivery all day tommorrow - call for Lin if you need one shipped.

Peter