Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drying out the BU inside the garage

lakewaterjunky

Has anyone modified their existing garage or incorporated a ventilation system in a new build that removes moisture from the boat along with ski vests & other equipment hanging up inside?

I have a few ideas cooking for our new attached garage on a house we hope to build soon. It will have three bays, the center having the tallest ceiling and door opening to accommodate our boat with the tower extended.

The positioning of supply air/fans in reflection to evacuation vents/fans is the variable here.

I’m real curious to know what anyone else has created or come up with to effectively remove moisture from their lake-drenched toys while parked inside the protection of a garage.

My garage is big enough that it is not an issue. I did install 3 infrared space heaters on the wall that I can turn on if needed as well.

Has anyone modified their existing garage or incorporated a ventilation system in a new build that removes moisture from the boat along with ski vests & other equipment hanging up inside?

I have a few ideas cooking for our new attached garage on a house we hope to build soon. It will have three bays, the center having the tallest ceiling and door opening to accommodate our boat with the tower extended.

The positioning of supply air/fans in reflection to evacuation vents/fans is the variable here.

I’m real curious to know what anyone else has created or come up with to effectively remove moisture from their lake-drenched toys while parked inside the protection of a garage.

We don't have any special ventilation in our boat garage, which is a 2-car garage. When we get home from a day of boating, we take all the wet stuff out of the boat and lay stuff out in the garage overnight, then the next day, we lay stuff out in the driveway to really dry good in the sun. Sometimes I drape all the ski vests on the trailer to dry, or hang them up on hangers on a garment rack....they don't go back in the boat till completely dry. We have done this for years and never had a moisture or mildew problem with anything.

I put my cover on the BU and then have a dehumidifier that I put inside and under the cover. The dehumidifier has an optional drain hose connection so that you do not have to empty a water container every day or so. I have a hose that I run from this connection out one of the hull drain hoses to the floor. The dehumidifier dries things out and puts out enough heat to help dry a few things inside as well. I usully try to leave the boat in the sun and dry as much as possible before covering it up and using the dehumidifier. I got cheap model LG from Best Buy (I think $89) that someone else had returned because they didn't realize that it put off heat. :Doh: It was regularly $149 I think. Works great! I have it set to run for two hours and then be off for two hours. It also helps in the winter to prevent freeze ups....but don't really have to worry about that to much here in Houston...just the high humidity!!!