Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing VRide rear ballast tanks

Helinut

Thats cause your tanks are under the floor, and don't take up 1/2 the storage ;)

Exact a mundo! Thanks a bunch JSP. That's exactly what I needed. What sacks did you install? Price? Hell I may do it this season if it's that easy. Anyone wanna buy some hard tanks? Biggrin.gif

Someone had a picture of the sack in the locker empty, was that u JSP?

The sacks are Fly High 750's, definitely do it this season! Your surf wake and boarding wakes will be much better! Board with both the 750's full and center ballast but NO wedge and you will FLY!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm thinking of doing this for a x-mas present. I have an 06 VLX and when I remove the hard tanks and mock floor there is nothing to attach the divider (separates storage/ballast compartment from engine) to the floor. I'm afraid that if the divider isn't attached on the bottom it and or the sacs will get pushed into the engine.

Has anyone had this problem? Or has anyone fixed this problem?

Thanks

You have above the floor hard tanks on an 06 VLX??? I thought they went under the floor on the 2005's and above??? Very strange. On my Vride you do not remove the floor, just the tanks. The divider is still there.

Helinut - he removed the mock floor that sits on top of the hard tanks in the 05 to present vlx's

G-wake - I believe this thread was geared more towards the pre 05 vlx's and v-ride owners that have the hard tanks that are in the rear storage are.....you may be able to fabricate a divider using an UHMW type plasic product

Helinut do you have a picture of your wake with the all the ballast full. I am doing this setup to my boat this winter and wondering what pain is awaiting me next year.

• 5 months later...

I started this project yesterday. I got the hard tanks removed and am ready to plumb in the 750s, but I realized I ordered a wrong connector for the sacs. I have the quick connections that all have barbed ends on one side and then connect to the other quick connect on the sacs on the other side. I had to order a fitting that screws into the drain pump with a barbed end on the other side in order to have a piece of hose to go to the quick connect. If you just followed what I said, good for you!

So anyways, just waiting on the new pieces to come in (or I could just screw the pump into the bag, but I want it to be quick disconnect). I paid 3x as much for 3rd day air shipping to get them here before the weekend.

By the way, did anyone else have a hell of a time getting the hoses off of the stock connections that screw into the hard tanks? I ended up having to pry a flat blade screwdriver in there to get it off and ended up splitting a few of the hoses in the process, so I'll have to cut an inch or so off the end of the hose before I put the new quick connectors on.

Edited by jtrovato
I started this project yesterday. I got the hard tanks removed and am ready to plumb in the 750s, but I realized I ordered a wrong connector for the sacs. I have the quick connections that all have barbed ends on one side and then connect to the other quick connect on the sacs on the other side. I had to order a fitting that screws into the drain pump with a barbed end on the other side in order to have a piece of hose to go to the quick connect. If you just followed what I said, good for you!

So anyways, just waiting on the new pieces to come in (or I could just screw the pump into the bag, but I want it to be quick disconnect). I paid 3x as much for 3rd day air shipping to get them here before the weekend.

By the way, did anyone else have a hell of a time getting the hoses off of the stock connections that screw into the hard tanks? I ended up having to pry a flat blade screwdriver in there to get it off and ended up splitting a few of the hoses in the process, so I'll have to cut an inch or so off the end of the hose before I put the new quick connectors on.

I don't remember having a hard time removing the hose, but if I did, I just cut it and put new hose in. I have no idea what you said in that first paragraph :) Yes, you should have had threads on 6 of them :) I put the male ends on the sacks. I didn't put any fittings on the pumps themselves. Only on the end of the hoses. The hoses stay in the boat, at least with my install.

We ran on Saturday with only myself and one other guy in the boat. The wake was still awesome! Just make sure you get some bow weight too. I have the integrated bow sack, but I just put it on top of the seat and fill it up.

Yeah after I read what I typed I don't even know what I said. What I was TRYING to say is that on the drain pump that was installed on the back bottom side of the hard tank, the pump was screwed directly into the tank. I got the fittings that screw into the bag that are quick disconnect, and then the ones that connect to those are all supposed to come from a hose, but there isn't one coming from the drain pump. Basically I just have to add a section of hose in between the drain pump and the sac that wasn't there before. I think I said it a lot simpler that time.

If this isn't what you did, then how did you attach the drain pump to the sac since it was screwed right into the hard tank?

Edited by jtrovato

I bought a nipple fitting to put on the drain pump and ran hose to the bag. I put the vent and drain part of the bag toward the rear of the compartment. I figured if the boat was sitting rear down a bit, it would be better to drain from there. I just set the pump up towards the front. Now I remember what a small pain those were to remove. I twisted that wiring up quite a bit to get them off :)

If you want pics I can get you some tomorrow. Nothing really spectacular though :)

Thanks, that's what I figured had to be done to make the connection from the drain pump. I probably could have gotten the nipple fitting that I needed from Home Depot or Lowes but I ordered it online through buy-wake and got the Fly High version of it. I ended up paying $35 for 3 day shipping to get it here before the weekend. Stupid, but I'm lazy and didn't want to search through the depot only to buy the wrong thing and have to go back again!