Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing VRide rear ballast tanks

Helinut

Well, I can't stand not having exactly what I want and what I want right now is a bigger wake for wake surfing!!! Surprised.gif

I ordered my vride with the rear and center ballast then read on here that if you really want the big wake for boarding and surfing, you should remove the rear tanks and put in the 750# sacks. This sounds like a great winter project since I don't want my 10.1 hour boat sitting while I figure out how to do all this. Does anyone have a detailed thread about how to remove the hard tanks and install the sacks? What sacks are the best and can I just use the factory pumps or do they take a crazy amount of time to fill the 750's? I'd like to get some more weight in the bow too, but that looks to be pretty easy if I don't want to hide it.

Thanks a bunch.

Shawn

If you need more weight in the bow, just invite me for a ride... here is a picture of me clicking away on TMC forum.

Webmaster_Fat_Ass_01.jpg

Edited by 1FootDan

It is sooooo easy to do! It only took my friend and I 45 minutes (at most) to remove his old tanks and plump in 750's.

1. There is a carpeted plastic piece (about a sq foot in size) that needs to be removed in the lockers first. This piece attaches to the most forward point of the lockers (attaches just behind the seats) and the rod that holds the locker door open is attached to it. I believe there are 3 screws that hold the rod to it and then 3 screws that hold the piece to the frame.

2. The tanks have 2 plates with 3 screws each, remove those.

3. Unscrew the drain pump from the bottom of the tanks (they are at the bow end of the tanks) and remove the addition hoses on the tanks (2 hoses, 1 pump per tank)

4. lift the tanks out (there might be a few gallons of water in so be aware)

5. You will need to extend the vent line, so go buy 10ft of 3/4 braided ID hose at Home Depot for 15.00 (yeah its rip off there)

6. Unscrew the hose clamp on the vent line where it attaches to the thru-hull. Pull off the old hose and push the new one on (dipping the end of the hose in HOT water for 30 seconds makes this process super easy) then tighten down the hose clamp.

7. In order to install the pumps onto the sacks without having to cut the wires, screw the sacks onto the pumps (ie spin the sacks and hold the pump still) the pump screws directly into the 750's threads.

8. Screw the barbed fittings into the sacks (available at www.wakeside.com) and the slide the fill and vent hoses over the fitting and secure with hose clamps.

9. Put the plastic piece that you removed, back into place.

Well, I can't stand not having exactly what I want and what I want right now is a bigger wake for wake surfing!!! Surprised.gif

I ordered my vride with the rear and center ballast then read on here that if you really want the big wake for boarding and surfing, you should remove the rear tanks and put in the 750# sacks. This sounds like a great winter project since I don't want my 10.1 hour boat sitting while I figure out how to do all this. Does anyone have a detailed thread about how to remove the hard tanks and install the sacks? What sacks are the best and can I just use the factory pumps or do they take a crazy amount of time to fill the 750's? I'd like to get some more weight in the bow too, but that looks to be pretty easy if I don't want to hide it.

Thanks a bunch.

Shawn

Why take out the factory tank? I fill the factory and put a 750# on top of that, great wake.

If you need more weight in the bow, just invite me for a ride... here is a picture of me clicking away on TMC forum.

Webmaster_Fat_Ass_01.jpg

Nice.. You know its bad when you're sitting down and leaning back and your gut still touches your knees! ROFL.gif

Thanks a bunch.

Shawn

Why take out the factory tank? I fill the factory and put a 750# on top of that, great wake.

Thats cause your tanks are under the floor, and don't take up 1/2 the storage ;)

Thats cause your tanks are under the floor, and don't take up 1/2 the storage ;)

Exact a mundo! Thanks a bunch JSP. That's exactly what I needed. What sacks did you install? Price? Hell I may do it this season if it's that easy. Anyone wanna buy some hard tanks? Biggrin.gif

Someone had a picture of the sack in the locker empty, was that u JSP?

Edited by Helinut

Exact a mundo! Thanks a bunch JSP. That's exactly what I needed. What sacks did you install? Price? Hell I may do it this season if it's that easy. Anyone wanna buy some hard tanks? Biggrin.gif

The sacks are Fly High 750's, definitely do it this season! Your surf wake and boarding wakes will be much better! Board with both the 750's full and center ballast but NO wedge and you will FLY!

Thanks a bunch.

Shawn

DOH!!! Crazy.gif so the vride has what kinda of tanks in back?

The sacks are Fly High 750's, definitely do it this season! Your surf wake and boarding wakes will be much better! Board with both the 750's full and center ballast but NO wedge and you will FLY!

so 750+750 = 1500. If I have 250# tanks, plus the wedge (1000 lb equivalet?) isn't that the same? Doesn't the wedge help shape the wake, or is it better shape with no wedge?

Trevor

Your tanks are only 200 IIRC. You wouldn't pull your tanks since you have an 05 and they are below the floor. So you could have (if you wanted too) 1900lbs in the rear. IMO thats too much rear weight.

The wedge shapes the wake differently then ballast. So you can't use the rule of wedge (1000) +tanks (400) = sacks (1500) + tanks (400). The sacks/tanks without the wedge will produce a larger wake, but it will have a much different shape.

jetski -- do you guys ever take the sacs out? (i.e. for drying out the back carpet). Just curious. Is it a big deal? Also, how long does it take to fill the sacs?

I've been wondering about that and I talked to Barefoot International FlyHigh this week and they said most folks get the quick connect fittings so they can take the sacs out fairly easily when wanted. For 3/4in tubing as we have, the fittings are 2x W742 (female elbow fitting), 1x W740 (female straight one) and 3x W736 (male that screws into the sac itself).

They said put the sac with the two holes towards back of the boat, one hole towards the front (the venting hole).

Put the W736s on all holes. Then on the back connect one elbow (W742) for the filling, one straight (w740) for emptying, and on the front one more elbow for venting.

However all this being said, I'd like to upgrade the attwood 500 pumps on my boat to faster pumps (1200 GPH) and move to 1 1/8 inch tubing which would require different flyhigh connectors than listed above.

jetski -- do you guys ever take the sacs out? (i.e. for drying out the back carpet). Just curious. Is it a big deal? Also, how long does it take to fill the sacs?

I've been wondering about that and I talked to Barefoot International FlyHigh this week and they said most folks get the quick connect fittings so they can take the sacs out fairly easily when wanted. For 3/4in tubing as we have, the fittings are 2x W742 (female elbow fitting), 1x W740 (female straight one) and 3x W736 (male that screws into the sac itself).

They said put the sac with the two holes towards back of the boat, one hole towards the front (the venting hole).

Put the W736s on all holes. Then on the back connect one elbow (W742) for the filling, one straight (w740) for emptying, and on the front one more elbow for venting.

However all this being said, I'd like to upgrade the attwood 500 pumps on my boat to faster pumps (1200 GPH) and move to 1 1/8 inch tubing which would require different flyhigh connectors than listed above.

How long does it take to fill your 250lb. tanks? Times that by 3 Biggrin.gif Seriously though, I have no idea how long it takes, but it is definitely under 10 minutes. The stock pumps are 700GPH and if you wanted to you could easily switch them out for 1100 or 1200GPH ones, but the stock are just fine. The sacks haven't been in that long, but he will only remove them for the winter time most likely.

Do the stock 20x20x50 fly high sack fit fine in the lockers with the hard tanks removed? I have my dealer looking in to the prices today!

do you guys ever take the sacs out? (i.e. for drying out the back carpet). Just curious. Is it a big deal?

I just move mine over to the side wall, sorta stand them up, so that they aren't flat on the carpet any more.. They are easy to move around when empty

Your tanks are only 200 IIRC. You wouldn't pull your tanks since you have an 05 and they are below the floor. So you could have (if you wanted too) 1900lbs in the rear. IMO thats too much rear weight.

The wedge shapes the wake differently then ballast. So you can't use the rule of wedge (1000) +tanks (400) = sacks (1500) + tanks (400). The sacks/tanks without the wedge will produce a larger wake, but it will have a much different shape.

I agree with JSP about the wake shape, but not the too much weight part. I filled all of the stock ballast (1200 lbs) and added about 300lbs per side with partially filled flyhighs and didn't use the wedge. I was at 85' out and 21mph and I thought that I was a jet taking off. The wake was huge, but very subtle at the transition so that I felt in control in the air. I've also tried the same formula with the wedge down, it is huge, steep, and lippy. For my limited skill it is too much. Crazy.gif

Joe

I agree with JSP about the wake shape, but not the too much weight part. I filled all of the stock ballast (1200 lbs) and added about 300lbs per side with partially filled flyhighs and didn't use the wedge. I was at 85' out and 21mph and I thought that I was a jet taking off. The wake was huge, but very subtle at the transition so that I felt in control in the air. I've also tried the same formula with the wedge down, it is huge, steep, and lippy. For my limited skill it is too much. Crazy.gif

Joe

You were only running 1000lbs in the rear (stock 200+ 300lbs. per side) where as if he did stock 200 +750 per side it would be too much in the rear of the boat...thats all I was saying :)

I would try it with all of the ballast (2700lbs) but it doesn't want to get on plane using our current prop. You may be right about too much, I just can't test it to tell for sure.

Joe

Have you signed up as a themalibucrew member on wake-space?

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=10278

The 750lb sacs are only $112.49 with free shipping.

I have a v-ride and use 750lb sacs in the rear lockers, primarily for surfing though.

Whoa! I hadn't looked at their site for that. Thanks for the reminder! I did look there for a helmet but they only carry the protec and it's waaaaay too small for my melon.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by Helinut

So with this set up I'm assuming you would run braided hose to all the connections. Is this correct?