Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you clean the hull

This has probably already been covered, but I am curious, how do you clean your boat down after each use. I just spent 15 minutes reading about to wax or not wax the bottom of the boat... and I actually enjoyed it... Anyway, I store my boat on a covered lift at Tablerock Lake. I wipe the hull and the seats down after each use. I was reading earlier about Babes and I used it at the end of the weekend. Do most of you use it every use, just wipe it down or what???? How often do you clean the seats??? I use the boat every other weekend from May to September if that matters. Now that I got rid of the Mastercraft I really want my new Bu to shine pretty... Biggrin.gif

Thanks

We don't have our boat on a lake, we have to trailer it when we go so this will be a bit different than what you do I'm sure. We wipe down with either a quick detailer or water spot remover every time we pull out, the only exception being if we get caught in a thunderstorm or plan to give it a thorough cleaning, then we give it the full treatment the next day. We do a quick wipe-down/cleanup of the interior at the ramp as well, & then do a more thorough job at home when we clean it out, pulling everything that's wet out of the boat & open all compartments to let it dry. I also try to make sure that the ballast sacks, bilge & ski locker don't have a bunch of water sitting in them, if so then I pump it out & towel up the rest. We finish by keeping a fan running in the garage, & I usually keep the garage door open the next day to keep fresh air circulating (we work from home, so it's not a security concern). I usually try to give the boat a good thorough detail at least a couple times throughout the summer, this seems to keep the water spots under control, plus I find it therapeutic. Biggrin.gif

I learned this little trick from a guy at our tournament lake. The trick is fill a two gallon weed sprayer with a half gallon of distilled vinegar and the rest of the way with distilled water. Hose the boat down with the sprayer and then start drying. It works best if you have someone follow with another towel. Trust me this works better than anything I have ever tried. When you start you will have to do it for four or five trips to the lake without waxing or using any quick wax. Pretty soon there will be no water spots ANYWHERE! Then you can start waxing. I simply use Meguire's Quick Detailer. I only wax my boat about once a month the old fashion hard way. Trust me this works great! I have had two black boats.

Trentster Tongue.gif

I learned this little trick from a guy at our tournament lake.  The trick is fill a two gallon weed sprayer with a half gallon of distilled vinegar and the rest of the way with distilled water.  Hose the boat down with the sprayer and then start drying.  It works best if you have someone follow with another towel.  Trust me this works better than anything I have ever tried.  When you start you will have to do it for four or five trips to the lake without waxing or using any quick wax.  Pretty soon there will be no water spots ANYWHERE!  Then you can start waxing.  I simply use Meguire's Quick Detailer.  I only wax my boat about once a month the old fashion hard way.  Trust me this works great!  I have had two black boats.

Trentster Tongue.gif

I use a spray called "Ducky" works great...but I think it is just distilled vinegar and distilled water...

Dave

I'll second the 50/50 white vinegar and water. It's cheap and it works great. I just use an old windex bottle and keep it in the truck. Spray it down at the ramp and wipe it clean.

For the seats, I use 303 and just wipe them down with a damp rag after use. I re-apply the 303 about every 3rd or 4th trip out to the lake.

I wax about twice a year with Meguires #26 yellow.

I moor my boat in a scummy, but lovable, river (the Willamette). It's not covered and it's not on a lift. I wipe down the inside and the deck every time after I use the boat. I keep a scrub brush in the boat to scrub the duck poop off of the deck Mad.gif and to scrub some of the scum off of the hull in between riders. The boat gets pulled out every 4 to 6 weeks and gets a good cleaning inside and out. I use Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic (do a search) on the hull and then wax it. I clean the vinyl and then reapply some 303. This has worked well for me.

I have a friend who moors near me and was having trouble with the Willamette scum so I told him about the tonic. He tried something different with it. He pulled his boat out, sprayed the hull, and then put the boat back in the water running it around for a bit. He then pulled the boat back out and found it to be all cleaned up with no scrubbing or rinsing needed.

I moor my boat in a scummy, but lovable, river (the Willamette).  It's not covered and it's not on a lift.  I wipe down the inside and the deck every time after I use the boat.  I keep a scrub brush in the boat to scrub the duck poop off of the deck Mad.gif  and to scrub some of the scum off of the hull in between riders.  The boat gets pulled out every 4 to 6 weeks and gets a good cleaning inside and out.  I use Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic (do a search) on the hull and then wax it.  I clean the vinyl and then reapply some 303.  This has worked well for me.

I have a friend who moors near me and was having trouble with the Willamette scum so I told him about the tonic.  He tried something different with it.  He pulled his boat out, sprayed the hull, and then put the boat back in the water running it around for a bit.  He then pulled the boat back out and found it to be all cleaned up with no scrubbing or rinsing needed.

Thats got to be a tough cleaning after 4-6 weeks in the poo water. After a couple of hours on the river we have a nice green and brown water/scum line Vomit.gif

Thats got to be a tough cleaning after 4-6 weeks in the poo water. After a couple of hours on the river we have a nice green and brown water/scum line Vomit.gif

It was tough until discovering Tony's Tremendous Tonic. Now it's an easy job. My daughter is appreciative as well, as she was the one crawling under the boat with some nasty oxalic acid solution previously.

The technical name is: Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic. And for a mere $10 donation to The Malibu Crew in my name I'll share! :)

Or you can just ask for it...

I'm a Tony's user too.

Had a Crownline borrow 1/2 of my slip and it sat for 4 months in the water.

It was a mess.

But the Special T cleaned her right up.

I still figger I owe for it.