Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Put into gear by mistake

Heres my latest goof-up....I started my boat this evening in my driveway(fake-a-lake hooked up) & was sitting in the drivers seat waiting for it to warm up, blipping the throttle up & down....I accidently shifted It into gear, & right away I heard a funny squealing noise coming from under the boat, I quickly shifted back into neutral. So, in that short of time is it possible that I ruined a bushing/bearing? Any way of knowing without launching the boat?

thanks

Doug

Heres my latest goof-up....I started my boat this evening in my driveway(fake-a-lake hooked up) & was sitting in the drivers seat waiting for it to warm up, blipping the throttle up & down....I accidently shifted It into gear, & right away I heard a funny squealing noise coming from under the boat, I quickly shifted back into neutral. So, in that short of time is it possible that I ruined a bushing/bearing? Any way of knowing without launching the boat?

thanks

Doug

The cutlass bearing is lubricated by water, so you should never place the boat in gear when out of the water. That being said it sounds like you caught it quickly and there should be no long term effects. I've done the same thing on mine thinking it was in neutral and have had no problems.

The cutlass bearing is lubricated by water, so you should never place the boat in gear when out of the water. That being said it sounds like you caught it quickly and there should be no long term effects. I've done the same thing on mine thinking it was in neutral and have had no problems.
Stupid.gif What he said. No worries. Edited by NorCaliBu
Stupid.gif What he said. No worries.

Cool, thanks guys...where is the 'cutlass bearing'? Is it the bearing closest to the prop?

Thanks again

Doug

Cool, thanks guys...where is the 'cutlass bearing'? Is it the bearing closest to the prop?

Thanks again

Doug

The "bearing" is a brass, bronze, or NiBrAl sleeve (depending on brand) with a corrugated rubber insert. The bearing is inside the strut that is mounted to the bottom of the boat just ahead of the prop. When the boat is in the water the shaft runs on a thin sheet of water allowed into the bearing by the corrugations in the rubber. Without the water...no lubrication...without lubrication...horrible noises. Yes.gif Edited by NorCaliBu

Sometimes when I launch/start my boat for the 1st time each season (after 7 months of sitting on dry land), I get a similar sound as well .... for a minute or so.... even though it's in the water. Just takes a short time before the sleeve gets lubricated.

I don't suspect you didn't do any damage. However, it sure does make your heart drop.... hearing that awful high pitched squaking...making you think you did something terrible.

All will be fine.

Sometimes when I launch/start my boat for the 1st time each season (after 7 months of sitting on dry land), I get a similar sound as well .... for a minute or so.... even though it's in the water. Just takes a short time before the sleeve gets lubricated.

I don't suspect you didn't do any damage. However, it sure does make your heart drop.... hearing that awful high pitched squaking...making you think you did something terrible.

All will be fine.

Just don't do it again, young man.