Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Kids X-ing to darkside

Pondking

My 7 yr old daughter and 5 yr old son are on the combos now and want to try wakeboarding. Which model and size is recomended to learn and grow with for a couple of years. That wake space deal is motivating me to B.O.A.T. and gear up the kids. Maybe a little something for me too. ;)

We have a LF Nemesis 118 and a Hyperlite Motive 119. Both are very forgiving boards and the kids do just fine on them. The Motive we have is mostly black, so my son was able to put some cool stickers on it as well. The 118-119 size should last them until they are around 70-80 lbs, then you'll want to move up to a 123-124. My son likes his Hyperlite Vario binding as well. They are nice and small and comfortable for his little feet. There is also a 109 size in the Motive for the little guy, but he should do fine on the 118-119 as well.

BTW, I have a brand new, in the box 2006 Hyperlite Motive 119 in the basement if you're interested. I think I got it on a closeout for around $100 + shipping and then someone gave me another one. Send me a PM if you're interested. You should be able to find a cheap pair of bindings on Ebay for $75 or cheaper.

Make them a deal - they can try wakeboarding after they are proficient on a single ski. Do it now, or you may never get them back! Trust me.

And the problem as long as they are active in water sports? Dontknow.gif

Make them a deal - they can try wakeboarding after they are proficient on a single ski. Do it now, or you may never get them back! Trust me.

Great idea John and that is exactly how I got them off the tube. Had to try skiing once for every 2 tube rides. They both tubed twice then tried skiing. Haven't tubed since. Clap.gif

Learning slalom however is infinately harder than learning to ride a wakeboard. I have the boom though so that will make it easier.

Great idea John and that is exactly how I got them off the tube. Had to try skiing once for every 2 tube rides. They both tubed twice then tried skiing. Haven't tubed since. Clap.gif

Your nice, my dad would never let me tube. Whistling.gif

So is a 124 ish of any brand the way to go?

It would work for the older one, but the 5 year old may have some difficulty. My boy started on a 124, but he was a little older. He's 12 now & on my 131 Belmont DNA. As jshap said, a 119 would work for both of them for a few years, & depending on how they grow you may be able to make the jump directly from a 119 to a high 120's - low 130's board. Do you know how much each of them weighs?