Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Seat Broke

I have a 2000 Wakesetter VLX and I went to kneel on the corner seat cushion and the board (I don't know what it's made of) was broke in half. I dont remember anything happening to it though. What should I replace the board with (the material is fine) or should I be ok with some sort of bracing?

Yeah, my '99 did the same thing. But mine happened while it was still under warranty. But what Malibu did was they used a different base material, not sure what it is, and added aluminum pieces between the base and the padding to give it more support.

You may be able to contact Malibu and get some new seats made up, or contact an upholstery shop in your area and they can do the same.

I broke the observers seat in my Bu the seccond week I had it. The plastic “board” on the bottom broke. I cut a piece of plywood mirrored to the bottom of the seat, but slightly smaller. Screwed and glued that to the bottom of the seat, then added a leg made out of a short chunk of a 2x4 as extra support. This however, is not ideal, since the leg sticks through our storage compartment and makes it tough to put big things (like skis!!) in.

The correct way to do it is to un-staple the vinyl and remove it from the plastic board. Find some material (strong and waterproof) and cut a new board, and re-attach the vinyl and cushion material.