Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

paint pealing around the windshield

Mine is peeling as well. Thought that after the year was over I would sand it down, mask it and respray with black outdoor paint. Haven't done it yet, so maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Mine too, I thought about just removing the paint (gently) and then leaving the silver.... I just need to find a way to remove it without scuffing up the aluminum.

Does anyone else have problems with black paint pealing off of the frame around the windshield? I have a 20undefined00 Response.

Mine has done that also.

A sharpy pen can be used as a quick fix or for better results, use a good paint stick.

My 01 SLXi is doing the same thing. YOu would think for the $$$$ on these boats you wouldn't have an issue like this.

Ditto mine

try anodizing it much better than powder coat and will last forever never pealing + if you powder coat it will add too much thickness to your frame were the rubber for the glass goes in and make it VERY HARD to put back togerther + you can anodize any color

Does anyone else have problems with black paint pealing off of the frame around the windshield? I have a 20undefined00 Response.

My 2000 Response LX was pealing too, I got it repainted looks good now.

Doug

• 10 months later...

I am not new to this problem, just late to do anything about it. I finally decided to remove the windshield before I winterized my boat last fall. Waiting til now, because I like to see how quickly I can get a project done under pressure, I took the windshield to the local powder coater. He is nervous to dis-assemble the frame from the glass, which I understand. So I need to do it. I have a 99 Sunsetter LXI, I removed the machine screws from the back, but the frame and glass won't budge. Therefore I decided that before I applied that little extra torque that usually results in a larger than expected repair, I thought I would ask the questions first. Kind of a new program for me. So here are the questions.

Do I need to remove the rivets on the outside in order to separate the frame from the glass?

Has anyone taken pics of the process?

How much a PITA is it to and what are the tricks to re-assembling?

Any comments I should make to the painter to make it easier for everyone?

I greatly appreciate the help. First time member and poster, so forgive me if I am looking over an already posted bulletin.

Thanks in advance!

I had this problem mainly on the top section of the windshield. I used goof off with a soft steel wool pad and peeled off the paint on the top section of the windshield and used Mother's mag polish with a buffing pad on a dremel drill and polished the metal and it looks just like the newer model windshields that have the polished top. I think I did it like 5 years ago and it still looks great. Took me about 4 hours to do.

HR,

If you are convinced you want the same color then don't read on.

But, what I did with mine (Thanks Mike 00LXI for the idea) was with the greatest of care I used acetone and super super fine steel wool and took off all the color the I used mother's and buffed the living crap out of it now it looks like chrome or should I say a newer Malibu, it has also been very easy to maintain.

This was a post on the other thread...is there any one else that has tryed this? If so how does it hold up over time? Seems like it would look great!

I had this problem mainly on the top section of the windshield. I used goof off with a soft steel wool pad and peeled off the paint on the top section of the windshield and used Mother's mag polish with a buffing pad on a dremel drill and polished the metal and it looks just like the newer model windshields that have the polished top. I think I did it like 5 years ago and it still looks great. Took me about 4 hours to do.

POOF...you just answered my ???? SWEET! Thanks.

Mike, do you have any pics?

Mike, do you have any pics?

I'm sure I have some at home somewhere but it pretty much looks like the newer factory windshileds that are polished on the top. I'll search for some later.

These are not close ups but I did the same.

post-23-1209672611_thumb.jpg

post-23-1209672517_thumb.jpg

I was hoping you'd see this thread Mark...LOL

I though you would be, beacuse mine turned soooooo much better than yours. ROFL.gif

These are not close ups but I did the same.

post-23-1209672611_thumb.jpg

post-23-1209672517_thumb.jpg

I was hoping you'd see this thread Mark...LOL

I though you would be, beacuse mine turned soooooo much better than yours. ROFL.gif

In your dreams! See now I'm gonna have to dig up a picture so prove you wrong LOL

I realize what you are saying, but my vision is clouding my senses at this point...I have gone to the point of almost not turning back.....so anyone been as dumb as me for pursuing this project?

I realize what you are saying, but my vision is clouding my senses at this point...I have gone to the point of almost not turning back.....so anyone been as dumb as me for pursuing this project?

Stupid.gif That would be me! I had the full frame powdercoated, not just the cap. Here's my thread and writeup on my powdercoating experience:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....5&hl=powder

My frame still looks great - no more chipping/peeling two years later, even with bimini buckles hitting it once in a while.

There's a long writeup on the process in that thread. Key lessons learned:

1) I would definitely do it again, but would check with a glass shop (as recommended by Pete!) for disassembly/reassembly of the frame.

2) If a glass shop is too expensive, you must have someone help you reassemble

Also, make sure you take pictures all along the way.

re: your specific questions on removing the frame:

Do I need to remove the rivets on the outside in order to separate the frame from the glass?

I needed to remove the rivets on the walk through section only to get the pieces apart for powdercoating

Easy disassembly - just takes more force than you'd expect especially when you are nervous about breaking the glass. VERY difficult reassembly due to shape of the windshield.

Don't paint -it won't last, powdercoat. You will need to have it stripped first.

Stupid.gif That would be me! I had the full frame powdercoated, not just the cap. Here's my thread and writeup on my powdercoating experience:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....5&hl=powder

My frame still looks great - no more chipping/peeling two years later, even with bimini buckles hitting it once in a while.

There's a long writeup on the process in that thread. Key lessons learned:

1) I would definitely do it again, but would check with a glass shop (as recommended by Pete!) for disassembly/reassembly of the frame.

2) If a glass shop is too expensive, you must have someone help you reassemble

Also, make sure you take pictures all along the way.

re: your specific questions on removing the frame:

I needed to remove the rivets on the walk through section only to get the pieces apart for powdercoating

Easy disassembly - just takes more force than you'd expect especially when you are nervous about breaking the glass. VERY difficult reassembly due to shape of the windshield.

Don't paint -it won't last, powdercoat. You will need to have it stripped first.

That is awesome! Thank you so much for your detailed information, I greatly appreciate it. I am going to powder coat and they will strip it prior to. Thank you again. I will take pictures and try to post it as a step by step afterwards. Already ordered all the new SC and DC tape and rubber to replace while I am doing it.

Thanks A Million!