Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finishing my Slalom Turns

Lieutenant Dan

I am mostly a free-skier and slalom course novice (have made full passes at 15 off, 30 mph but want to advance speed to 34 and then shorten rope). I have been told by friends that I need to "finish my turns" more. I've also been told to "be patient with my turns". My question is, how do I get the ski to come around further so that I can get more angle across the course?

I am mostly a free-skier and slalom course novice (have made full passes at 15 off, 30 mph but want to advance speed to 34 and then shorten rope). I have been told by friends that I need to "finish my turns" more. I've also been told to "be patient with my turns". My question is, how do I get the ski to come around further so that I can get more angle across the course?

I am about the same level as you. I have been skiing with guys that are running 35 off @ 34mph...they tell me I need to keep my weight forward by bending me knees around the turn. You will come around quicker and it makes your turning radius smaller. There are a lot of good skiiers on this site, I am sure they will chime in.

Be patient in the turn...seriously. When you try to get on it out of the turn too soon you in effect stop the ski from coming around and getting angle. The other thing that I suspect is that you are pushing the turn with your back leg and falling back through the turns. Both of these things will cause you to have no angle out of the turn and make you run the course narrow, fast and late.

Try having your body balanced through the turn and being light on your feet at the end of the turn. In otherwords don't push with your feet at the finish. Let the ski come around and then with your balanced position pull from the whitewater of the first wake through the white of the 2nd into a nice easy edge change early into 2 ball.

Edited by Rod S

I'm at the same level too. It must be the boat (all three of us have 01SLXi s)!

I can testify that you don't want to get your weight forward by breaking at the waist! Last year at the Michigan clinic Greg (skisix@insanelyshortropelength) told me to finish the turn by bending my knees and shifting my weight forward. He said to imagine driving the tip of the ski into the water. It worked. My skiing improved drastically, then I blew my knee out on another water toy and my summer was over. I've been trying to get things back together this year. So far, no luck.

Your ski turns because it is on edge and a bit forward on the natural curve or radius of the ski. As you move through your turn, keep the ski on edge with your knees and hip moving in the direction you want to turn. As you are extending your arm toward the boat, delay the rotation of your away shoulder back to the handle (sometimes called counter rotating). That allows the ski to stay on the front radius a bit longer and finish naturally under your upper body. As soon as you are back on the handle and pulling toward the wake your angle is set. Let the ski finish belore you jump on the pull.

Rip

I was giong to say what Rip6 said, but in other terms. Don't let you're outer arm come back on that handle until you've seen the ski (out of the corner of your eye) cross underneath the rope.

Quich hijack - where in Loveland are you? I just started a new job out here off wards corner.

[quote name='HOskier313' date='Jun 28 2007, 12:41 PM' post='183712'

Quich hijack - where in Loveland are you? I just started a new job out here off wards corner.

sent a PM