Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Huge wake behind 06' Response LXi

dkthorn

Did you hit anything?

Does your boat stay on the water all the time?

Does your bilge pump run a lot?

Is there excessive water in your bilge?

I've only experienced this once before when skiing behind a 2002 Response LX. I could tell something wasn't right with the boat. The wake was huge and the boat looked like it was sitting too low in the water, and it was banking too much when they would spin me. Since I was one of the team's 'boat experts,' I had them drop me and I quickly isolated the problem. The hot water feed for the shower had become detached from the bottom of the port side engine block and the bilge was full of water. "Tankless ballast" is what I call that symptom. :)

At 3,500 RPM the boat will be at 34 1/2 to 35 1/2 if you have original prop. 3,600 RPM will be 35 1/2 to 36 1/2 in all the stock Bu's D.D. I have skied. This baring no odd load or extreme conditions.

Interesting thought. If it is in fact requiring 3500 RPM to achieve 32 MPH, then something is screwy with the weight of the boat, hull, or running gear.

I can see how the computer might affect how the boat runs, but not the wake.

Without rereading all the posts, is there any chance you have developed 'hook' in the aft portion of the hull???

I've heard about older boats that have the floatation foam water soaked. Could this have happened? Was the boat left out during the winter?

Surely, you've checked the bilge--right?

As a reference, here are the PP baselines I use for my RLXi with the ACME 515.

28.6 - 2800 rpms

30.4 - 2965 rpms

32.3 - 3160 rpms

34.2 - 3355 rpms

36.0 - 3560 rpms

Mike

Did you or your dealer figure it out?

If you were concerned that the boat was overweight for some reason, you could take it to a public scale and weigh it on the trailer. The weight of the trailer should be on a tag mounted on the trailer and the dry boat weight is also a known number. Just subtract fuel, gear, etc. from the total. If it doesn't weigh heavy, at least that is one potential problem eliminated.

When the water in the bidlge liner froze over the winter it expanded the space. Now you have even more water in between the liner? :unsure:

Or maybe a tracking fin is loose, turned and causing a drag.

The question that hasn't been asked, or I just didn't read it in the above posts is, have you skied at 3200 rpm's and does the wake flatten out or does it get bigger? At 3500 rpm's there should hardly be a wake, my XTI at that rpm has a really nice wake I just don't ski that fast.

if you have a slalom course on your lake you don't need a GPS as can use any watch with a second hand and a table of course times

I'm old school and don't have a GPS. I carry or wear a stop watch in the boat and periodically check speed/rpm accuracy using a slalom course. This is how it was done in the pre historic times.

The skier to skier info is helpful. Simply start as you pass the entry balls and stop at the exit balls. Just make sure you use the exact same marker point for start/stop. I'll usually run it 2x to be sure.