Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Huge wake behind 06' Response LXi

dkthorn

The wake behind my 06' Response LXi is huge. The prop is in perfect condition and everything else seams to be fine. I haven't contacted the dealer yet, but thought I'd throw this topic on the crew first.

When I ski at 32mph, the rmp's are at 3500. Do any of you 06' RLXi owners get the same readings? It seams like the boat is running heavy in the water and creating a huge wake for slalom. When the boat was new last year, their was hardly any wake. This year I should retire the slalom ski and get a wake board.

I had the computer on the boat replaced this spring and ever since then the speed seams to be off. Do any of you know if the computer can be re-calibrated? Eventhough the speed shows 32mph, I may be going slower which is causing a bigger wake. I can't tell!!!

I'd appreciate any help. I'm calling my dealer enxt.

The wake behind my 06' Response LXi is huge. The prop is in perfect condition and everything else seams to be fine. I haven't contacted the dealer yet, but thought I'd throw this topic on the crew first.

When I ski at 32mph, the rmp's are at 3500. Do any of you 06' RLXi owners get the same readings? It seams like the boat is running heavy in the water and creating a huge wake for slalom. When the boat was new last year, their was hardly any wake. This year I should retire the slalom ski and get a wake board.

I had the computer on the boat replaced this spring and ever since then the speed seams to be off. Do any of you know if the computer can be re-calibrated? Eventhough the speed shows 32mph, I may be going slower which is causing a bigger wake. I can't tell!!!

If you can get your hands on a GPS, you'll have your speed answer. You can get a cheap one that'll give you exact speed without spending $300. Has anything else changed since last summer? More equipment? More people? etc

I think my '05 RLXI is around 3050 rpms when pulling a skier at 32, thats with the Monsoon. If you are at 3500 something sounds really fishy. Could there be a bunch of water in the bilge or something? Either that or perhaps your tach is way off. Have you tried to see what your readings are when the boat is wide open?

First, I would want to know form where are you getting the rpm reading...PPass or tach? Or both? Do they match? 3500 is way too many rpms to be going 32, and if the wake is big, then you may not be going 32. I mean this in all seriousness, is the wedge down?

You don't own a GPS :unsure:

Agreed... the only way to get a huge wake in a RLXI is:

1) ballast - and lots of it

2) wedge down

3) leave the trailer attached.

3) put it in reverse (might explain the higher than usually rpm).

Thanks all,

I checked, the trailer was not hooked on this time.......... Wedge is up, .....driver always heavier than year before,........gas tank is always on empty (due to price),............. and maybe that's why I keep getting bugs stuck to the back of my head, I'm going backwards.....

No GPS, but I was told that before. I'm setting the cruise control by mph and rpm and are true to the analog gauges. My dealer opens at 10am, I'm sure it has something to do with re-calibrating the computer.

Thanks again,

I'll let ya all know what I hear

I have checked my speed with a hand-held Garmin GPS. It is an accurate way to double check your speedometer. Many folks have these making it easy to borrow one for an afternoon. Best wishes. I have no other experience with the computer to be of further help on this topic.

Thanks all,

I checked, the trailer was not hooked on this time.......... Wedge is up, .....driver always heavier than year before,........gas tank is always on empty (due to price),............. and maybe that's why I keep getting bugs stuck to the back of my head, I'm going backwards.....

No GPS, but I was told that before. I'm setting the cruise control by mph and rpm and are true to the analog gauges. My dealer opens at 10am, I'm sure it has something to do with re-calibrating the computer.

Thanks again,

I'll let ya all know what I hear

If you had the computer replaced, then the speedo probably just needs to be calibrated. Ours was really far off when it first came from the factory. Are you using the stock Malibu Cruise system? If so, then the analog gauge should be in tune with the digital readout for speed, same for rpms. If they're not, then something isn't right (since they pull data from the same spots). You don't have Perfect Pass do you?

One more quick question. Is the prop the same as you used last year or did you replace it by any chance in the group buy with maybe a lower pitch model that will run at higher RPMs at faster speeds?

Thanks again for the comments,

The prop is the actual prop that came with the boat and it's in perfect condition, (weight, balance pitch etc. from a local prop shop that checked it out). The prop is an Acme 515, 12x13. I have the factory cruise and the digital mph along with the rpm's are true to the analog gauges. i have a manual wedge and it's locked in the up position. While skiing behind the boat you can see that it is completely out of the water.

I'm pretty sure my problem lies in the computer - needing to be re-calibrated. I'll ask around to see if I can borrow a GPS.

I called the dealer and left a message, no reponse yet.

Edited by dkthorn
Thanks again for the comments,

The prop is the actual prop that came with the boat and it's in perfect condition, (weight, balance pitch etc. from a local prop shop that checked it out). The prop is an Acme 515, 12x13. I have the factory cruise and the digital mph along with the rpm's are true to the analog gauges. i have a manual wedge and it's locked in the up position. While skiing behind the boat you can see that it is completely out of the water.

I'm pretty sure my problem lies in the computer - needing to be re-calibrated. I'll ask around to see if I can borrow a GPS.

I called the dealer and left a message, no reponse yet.

I would drive it there and park it in front of his door Biggrin.gif

if you have a slalom course on your lake you don't need a GPS as can use any watch with a second hand and a table of course times

if you have a slalom course on your lake you don't need a GPS as can use any watch with a second hand and a table of course times

Plus1.gif you can get course times from skier to skier ..... they will also send you a laminated card with these times on it free Biggrin.gif

This is a mystery. When you are skiing, does the boat feel like you're going slower? I can easily tell a difference between say 28mph and 32/34mph. One is a crawl making the other seem like warp speed. And, while the wake at say 28mph behind the RLXi is bigger than a 32mph wake, I would not characterize it as "huge".

Could it be something else? Are you skiing the course? Could it be that you've picked up a bad habit and are hitting the wake with a flat ski as opposed to on edge? Such makes a very noticeable difference. Any of the top three boat wakes at 15 off will bang you if you hit it flat--especially at 32 and 34mph where things harden up a bit. (I'm presuming you ski at 15 off given the 32mph speed. If that's incorrect, my apologies.)

Just food for thought.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tips,

uk exile and lakewaterjunky- I ordered the card and I'll time it next time I set the course up.

SGY - I actually feel like I'm going faster than 32mph, hence the 3500 rpm. However, if that's the case why is the boat dragging in the water causing a huge wake......UGH!! My ski buds have noticed it as well. We all ski 15 off at 32 and the bump is big enough to launch a wakeboard. I feel like I'm skiing behind my old I/O. I skied behind a Mastercraft the other day and it was fine. i don't think my ski technique has changed much. I had my RLXi out yesterday again and still the same wake.

When I hear from the dealer I'll let ya know.

It's your replacement computer. They did a mod upgrade since everyone has gone to wakeboarding/surfing. The new computer weighs 800lbs.

It's your replacement computer. They did a mod upgrade since everyone has gone to wakeboarding/surfing. The new computer weighs 800lbs.

That's a kneeslapper.

At 3,500 RPM the boat will be at 34 1/2 to 35 1/2 if you have original prop. 3,600 RPM will be 35 1/2 to 36 1/2 in all the stock Bu's D.D. I have skied. All most all 1:1 ratio boats I have skied

fall into this area other than C.C. but thay are geared down. All of the boats had stock props. This baring no odd load or extreme conditions. Do you trailer your boat does it seam heavy. The only time I skied a bad wake on a Rlxi was someone left the wedge down.