Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead Question

HoustonPerson

Stewart, or anyone else that has the 2005 HammerHead, in a boat like the LSV wakesetter.

What size ACME prop comes standard on it?

And here is the real nitty gritty I am after; Can the hammerhead with all four tanks full, 10 people, wedge, and additional 1,200 lbs (fat sacs) get out of the hole just as fast, and plain, like the Monsoon can without that 1,200 lbs of fat sacs?

When my Monsoon is weighted down extra like that, it is slower getting going. I know the prop change could help, but I do not want to give up top speed either.............does the Hammerhead eliminate that?

btw, the standard prop on mine is ACME #537 13.5x16 Vdrive left

Sorry, I don't know what prop comes standard on the 2005 HH383. And unfortunatley, my boat is an 1-1/2 hours away.

What I can tell you, is the new HH 383 is the bomb Blowup.gif

I've been in a fully weighted LSV w/ a Monsoon (Shapiros) and it ran well. But, my boat fully weighted definitely gets up quicker and holds speed better.

Tony (Anneal000) had mentioned something similar. He always re-props his boats, but he feels the new HH383 on his 05 VLX will be just the ticket.

I would definitley prop down before rushing out and getting a new boat/engine/

Stewart, If you can and remember next time you are out at your boat, look at the back of the prop, just under the nut and you should be able to read the numbers on it........most likely it is the standard that Malibu uses for your engine boat combination (unless u changed it at ordering time)..............I am thinking, but may be wrong that the Hammerhead has enough torque to get you out of the hole like I am wanting with the extra 1,200 lbs on board, and still have basically the same top speed my monsoon cause u dont have to prop down as much?...........I prolly wont prop down now......but I am thinking about the next boat purchase, and that is why I ask.

HP, the 383 is the bomb!

I had an 04 LSV with the 380 HH and while it would plane quick with the tanks full, wedge, 600 lbs lead, and people, it by no means seemed quick or fast out of the hole, but nonetheless it would handle the task at hand.

I went with the 383 in the new VLX, and while it is a smaller boat, I have so far been very impressed with the new motor. Bu stuck the 13.5x17.5 prop on this boat and the motor STILL hits the revlimiter! It has power for sure! I've always had to run the 13.5x16 to get the perfromance I was looking for, but the above setup seems to be the ticket.

It's real hard to answer a subjective question like you asked. I think the 383 should give you impressive perfromance in a loaded down LSV.

Anyone else notice how Malibu sent WSM an RLXi with a HH 383 in it for the test this year? Imagine the giggle factor driving that one! I've driven an RLXi with the 375 HammerHead before and that felt pretty strong, but I'd LOVE to try the 383!

Edited by UWSkier

My buddy just converted his 310 carbie to a 383. We whipped it out in a few hours and sent it to the shop. I think he's getting all the work done for around $1600 including balancing, a new cam and roller rockers.

Next time home we should be out behind it. It will beinteresting to report how the conversion went.

Edited by whiteVLX

aneal000, Yeah that is what I am thinking......even with the bigger prop, it still had a lot of torque to get up and go with a ton of extra weight....and still has a great top speed.

Stewart when you do get a chance to look let me know if it is the same 13.5x17.5 prop Aneal000 is talking about....the one on my Monsoon LSV is 13.5x16 #537

HP, I have been running the Acme 13.5x17.5 on mine with the Monsoon 325. It has performed very well...

Are you running four large ballast tanks, wedge, 10 or more people, and an additional 1,200 lbs fat sacs?

I will be at the dealership tomorrow and I have a friend who just got a 23 and it is there so I will try to check. I know my new vlx has it and it is amazing. It makes my old vlx with the monsoon seem slow. I haven't really pushed it with ballast yet since it is too new, but with 1700lbs and 6 guys it moved like there was no one in the boat. I LOVE IT, and also it just seems mean when you start it!

Anyone else notice how Malibu sent WSM an RLXi with a HH 383 in it for the test this year?  Imagine the giggle factor driving that one!  I've driven an RLXi with the 375 HammerHead before and that felt pretty strong, but I'd LOVE to try the 383!

Yeah, I remember Peter saying the newer HH was an improvement in the RLXi--was that the 380? Can't imagine the grumbling oomph with the 383. Surprised.gif

Up here in the northeast you have to be busy this time of year. All the marinas are running around like mad because everyone wants there boats the same day, lol

Seems like this season is slower however, wonder if gas has something to do with it?

Edited by whiteVLX

I don't know. My dealer told me the fall sales were nuts (sold more bus then than he did all last year), but that has slowed down a little this spring. Funny thing is I was reading an article and they said if you compensate for inflation gas is the cheapest it has been in like 40 years, lol

Seems like this season is slower however, wonder if gas has something to do with it?

Gas is only a problem for me when I'm wearing my drysuit. Leaves a nice little treat for whoever unzips you. Just don't do it until after you burp the neck or you might hit yourself. Yuk.gif

Plus1.gif