Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lessons Learned

Just thought I would share some things I found out while changing plugs in my Hammerhead.

Plug wires. I had a devil of time getting the plug wires off the plugs. It was almost like they slightly melted to the plugs, I wound up tearing a few of the boots.

After searching a few auto parts stores for replacement boots, I was directed to a high performance shop in town where I bought all new boots ( $8.00) They went on fine.

The two rear plugs (cylinders 1 & 8), will require the water hoses connected to the bottom of the exhaust manifold to be disconnected. You will need the shortest spark plug socket you can find, (learned this after several trips in and out the boat). You will also need to use and open end wrench on the socket, theres no room for a ratchet.

Fun Stuff.

Just thought I would share some things I found out while changing plugs in my Hammerhead.

Plug wires. I had a devil of time getting the plug wires off the plugs. It was almost like they slightly melted to the plugs, I wound up tearing a few of the boots.

After searching a few auto parts stores for replacement boots, I was directed to a high performance shop in town where I bought all new boots ( $8.00) They went on fine.

The two rear plugs (cylinders 1 & 8), will require the water hoses connected to the bottom of the exhaust manifold to be disconnected. You will need the shortest spark plug socket you can find, (learned this after several trips in and out the boat). You will also need to use and open end wrench on the socket, theres no room for a ratchet.

Fun Stuff.

Sounds like a great time...just curious what type of plugs did you use? I know there have been threads on here before about K& N and so forth...

I've been in that situation many times. a 20min job turns into an hour or more and sometimes you crack a plug if it's in a real awkward position and you don't know it until you have a mysterious hi speed miss fire.

At the hot rod shops you can get shorter ones,if that would help in your situation?.

It is real common problem with clearance of plugs and headers on modified cars so they do make a few different PN#s for the short plugs.

Ah yes…once again Direct Drives show they are superior. Crazy.gif

I'm trying to figure out how that applies here, since his troubles came about as a result of other parts on the engine itself. You need to get help M-dude, you've got a complex. Crazy.gif

Mark,

I'm curious about what plugs you used as well. How many hours do you have on your boat? Did you go with a higher performance plug wire as well?

Did you go with a higher performance plug wire as well?
...I bought all new boots ( $8.00)
For $8.00?...all he replaced was the boots. Yes.gif
I'm trying to figure out how that applies here, since his troubles came about as a result of other parts on the engine itself. You need to get help M-dude, you've got a complex. Crazy.gif
:lol: That goes without saying. :lol:

Not sure how the engine facing the other way would affect the positioning of the risers, exhaust manifolds, cooling hoses,...etc in relation to the spark plugs. Dontknow.gif But I'm pretty sure that that is what Justin was referring to.

I can say for sure that I prefer working on Indmar engines to Mercruiser engines. Mercruiser exhaust manifolds hang down lower and partially block the plugs and the raw water pump on a Mercruisers is a PITA for changing the impeller. Yes.gif Love my Indmar. :)

Not sure how the engine facing the other way would affect the positioning of the risers, exhaust manifolds, cooling hoses,...etc in relation to the spark plugs. Dontknow.gif But I'm pretty sure that that is what Justin was referring to.

I can say for sure that I prefer working on Indmar engines to Mercruiser engines. Mercruiser exhaust manifolds hang down lower and partially block the plugs and the raw water pump on a Mercruisers is a PITA for changing the impeller. Yes.gif Love my Indmar. :)

Let me put this into perspective for you: you don't see any DD owners crying on here because of something as elementary as changing the stinkin' plugs do you?

Let me put this into perspective for you: you don't see any DD owners crying on here because of something as elementary as changing the stinkin' plugs do you?
:lol: Good point. :lol:

Same thing happened to me the first time I replaced the plugs. the boots were stuck to the plugs. I also ended up buying new boots after ripping most of them.

Now when I change the plugs, I put a little dielectric compund in each boot to keep them from seizing. It works well. If you didn't do that, I get it done asap to keep from having the same problem next time.

I wonder why Indmar doesn't do that from the factory.

Edited by rts
Now when I change the plugs, I put a little dielectric compund in each boot to keep them from seizing. It works well. If you didn't do that, I get it done asap to keep from having the same problem next time.

I

That and if you have aluminum heads a little anti seize on the plug threads is a good idea also.

If you take the rubber insert out of the spark plug socket and make sure to use a 3/8" drive, it should work but you must be careful not to slip and crack a plug. It allows a little misalignment to clear the exhaust manifold. A wobble extension also helps.

You guys had to know that a DD owner would come along right after you make a statement like that to commiserate. :lol:

Same thing happened to me the first time I replaced the plugs. the boots were stuck to the plugs. I also ended up buying new boots after ripping most of them.

I would think they do, and that is why the boots are sticking. The dielectric is a nessessity to keep the 'high energy' spark from tracking down the ceramic and going to ground. It is more of an insulator.

edit: Yea, I was wondering about the early changeout myself.

Edited by electricjohn

Sorry been out of the office all morning.

The boat has 175 hours on it, I towed it home for the weekend to do an oil change, fuel filter, impeller, and figured I would do the plugs as well.

The problem I encountered would be the same on a DD its a matter of the ETX exhaust manifold blocking access to #1 and #8 cylinders.

I replaced the plugs with 41-993 (Autolite) its what Indmar's website specs. Thats not was original though.

Edited by LS-One
If you take the rubber insert out of the spark plug socket and make sure to use a 3/8" drive, it should work but you must be careful not to slip and crack a plug. It allows a little misalignment to clear the exhaust manifold. A wobble extension also helps.

Tried that, still had to search out a shorter plug socket, luckily I had one cause, I was eyeballing taking my new one to the mighty chop saw. :lol:

Edited by LS-One

NO, Just Speedo repair Tongue.gif

On a serious note though, what is the mechanical repair for this thing I keep hearing about called bowrise? ROFL.gif

On a serious note though, what is the mechanical repair for this thing I keep hearing about called bowrise? ROFL.gif

Also, what is the mechanical repair to stop your boat from taking water over the transom just cuz a boats wake passed you by? Whistling.gif

Tried that, still had to search out a shorter plug socket, luckily I had one cause, I was eyeballing taking my new one to the mighty chop saw. :lol:

Would a swivel socket helped? What size spark plug is in there, meaning is it a 3/4, 13/16, or 5/8? I would hope if it is that tight indmar would have put in 5/8 spark plug to make the change easier for everyone.

Edited by johnsvt

True, but do hear about how small things are on DD from some wife's. Tease.gif

Also, what is the mechanical repair to stop your boat from taking water over the transom just cuz a boats wake passed you by? Whistling.gif

And that would certainly be your boat making that monster wake that floods my boat Stewart, wouldn't it?