Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare props

Questions about Spare Props  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a spare prop?

• Yes, I own a spare prop?
    • No, I do not own a spare prop?
  2. 2. Where do you keep your spare prop when on the water?

• I still don't own one see above question.
    • I leave it in the tow vehicle, at all times.
    • I carry my spare prop in the boat, at all times
    • I carry my spare prop in the tow vehicle only if going for more than one day.
    • I carry my spare prop in the boat only if going for more than one day.
    • I leave my prop at home until needed.
  3. 3. Have you ever had to replace or repair your prop because of damage?

• No, I have never had prop damage.
    • Yes, I have had to repair/replace my prop due to damage.
    • I have had prop damage, but not bad enough to warrant repair.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnsvt

• Bill_AirJunky

• Ndawg12

• NorCaliBu

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have something to post about and it would figure it would be prop damage. Well I'm finally a boat owner. After years of waiting I finally got a boat the week before Christmas. The second time out on it my buddy proceded to not only bump the dock and put a foot long scratch down the side but also throw it in reverse and eat a brand new ski rope & suck the handle into the prop. I was prepared to put money into the boat but I thought it would have been longer than 2 weeks before I had to fix something. Love this site and I'm sure you will all be hearing much more from me.

I should qualify my response to the poll by adding that the only reason why my prop stays in the house is due to the fact that my lake (shallow) is very small and it's not a big deal to crawl back to the house, put the boat back on the shorestation, and change out the prop in less that 5 minutes.

I would highly encourage anyone to get a spare prop and puller if you don't have one. I have been in the position of having a bent prop ruin what was left of a vacation. Cry.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had to use my spare prop twice, neither time was my fault. One time I was in reverse and the rudder got sucked 180 degrees backwards into the prop (don't ask me how, some sort of fluke, now I have to make sure my wheel is straight in reverse). And the other time my ex girlfriend drove it to far forward while loading it onto the trailer, and the prop actually hit the trailer, which probably stop the boat from going all the way into the back of the truck. As it was though it stopped a few inches short... so the prop was a reasonable sacrifice.

• 3 months later...

ya just lost a full blade off my 98 response.. was a three, now two.. SS. What a joke, as I was doing about 35 mph and just felt her let go and was a noise!!! then I almost had to hand out toilet paper to the passengers and life jackets..lol

Anyway read somewhere, but cant find it now, that some of the SS was faulty.. anyone know more about this..???

Thanks

Jeff

if anyone knows of others this has happened too.. I would like more info.

What if anything did cvp or malibu do for you? What do you think OJ or ACME would do???

hmmm great question...

pipe in...

If it was the OEM CVP prop, they did come apart on other people's boats. IIRC, CVP is no longer so not much they can do for you.

we board on the lake where teh boat is kept, so the prop is in the boat house on the water. Worst case we get towed back and put it on the lift for a quick change. Our spare is the original 537 we upgraded from to the 1235 acme

Best part is that unless you can hold your breath for 10 minutes or have scuba tanks, the boat has to be out of the water to change the prop....So why carry everything it in the boat?

I've only had to change a prop once, and it was in the water.

No way I could have made it back up river. A set of swim goggles or mask helps ALOT! You just have to stay patient and make a lot trips down.

• 11 months later...

You should keep a piece of tubing on the boat to breathe through while you are under the boat. I saw that mentioned somewhere. Maybe here. I can think of a few people who would not be allowed to hold the other end.

I did mine on a lift in the water. I am thinking of doing it again. I have a new OJ from a group buy. It was bought for a spare but getting the urge to give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

I always carry a spare. Replaced the original 537 with a 1235 last year. BTW, I love the new prop. Lost some top end speed, but I can pull a heavy boarder out of the water on my 23 LSV with full ballast and 14 people in the boat with no problem. Awesome hole shot. Not a huge difference in gas consumption either. Just can't drive as fast.

Last year I was in an unfamiliar part of my local lake and the lake bottom popped up to 3 feet in a hurry while towing a boarder. It sounded horrible and felt worse. We limped back to dock at about 8mph and horrible vibrations. Bought the new prop and a replacement (about 1k total), and now I always keep the extra prop, replacement parts, and a puller on board with goggles.

You should keep a piece of tubing on the boat to breathe through while you are under the boat. I saw that mentioned somewhere. Maybe here. I can think of a few people who would not be allowed to hold the other end.

Now that is funny

Haven't changed a prop due to damage, but have loaned my spare out two years in a row.

Just got my 537 back from Murphy Prop shop in Norfolk, VA. Damn does it look pretty again!!

John, can I borrow your spare next, I need a spare!!

Haven't changed a prop due to damage, but have loaned my spare out two years in a row.

Just got my 537 back from Murphy Prop shop in Norfolk, VA. Damn does it look pretty again!!

No problem...my spare is currently an OJ475

Damn John that's awful nice of you to let me use your spare as my spare!! Thumbup.gif

I meant could I use your spare as my spare when ever your other people are done with it, sorry my humor doesn't translate well over the internet :)

Edited by nemire12

Damn John that's awful nice of you to let me use your spare as my spare!! Thumbup.gif

I meant could I use your spare as my spare when ever your other people are done with it, sorry my humor doesn't translate well over the internet :)

No problem...I think

Had my prop repaired before I took to BU to Canyon Lake, put it in the water to test it out and ran aground in a full speed turn and bent the ends of each blade over. :Doh:

Drove to Malibu dealership and bought another one, set me back $475 but now I have a back-up.

Point is....having a back up prop is a good idea, and most of you already know that Bakes Online has a carrying case for your extra prop and the tools you need to change it out. :werule:

• 2 weeks later...

just had my orginal repaired and it is now my spare. Dinged one of the blades on the last day of vacation would have been real bad had that happened on the first day as we were 45min from anywhere including the ER. Yes we had to go there too.