Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauge cluster intermitent

last season the gauges would come and go every few weeks for a minute or so and would correct itself when i shutdown the engine.

this season however, they will work for about the first 5 mins and then won't work for almost rest of the day.

help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. what should i check/fix/replace or should i just bite the bullet and take to a mechanic?

thanks.

I had a similar problem in my 02 LSV - my gauge cluster would shut down anytime I went over 2500 RPMs, and come back on when I went under. It turned out to be my MMDC. I replaced it and it corrected the problem completly.

Before you do that - check all wires, connections, and grounds.

i make it look like i know everything about boats but i don't.

what's an MMDC and are they expensive?

EDIT: i know now.

Edited by madchild

hmmmm, i've done some research and this moomba thread has got me going in the right direction.

i pulled the unit and am left with a super clean/dry secondary port and a yellow/dirty/wet primary pitot port. is this normal? no idea. there's really no way that i can get inside the mdc without destroying it and i'm not ready for that because i haven't been able to figure out if the unit itself is the culprit.

part of me hopes it is simply a ground wire however, i'm not too sure which it is. common knowledge would lead you to believe it is the black in the wire bundle, but i believe there is more than one black and how i would tighten/secure the connection is beyond me.