Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing

diezel

My boyfriend just recently got a surfboard and has tried numerous times to surf without the rope. We have the ballast tanks full and we have everyone sitting on the side that he is surfing on, but it doesnt seem to work...suggestions on what to do? Or what we are doing wrong? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My boyfriend just recently got a surfboard and has tried numerous times to surf without the rope. We have the ballast tanks full and we have everyone sitting on the side that he is surfing on, but it doesnt seem to work...suggestions on what to do? Or what we are doing wrong? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Do you have the wedge down? How much ballast are you using? What kind of surfboard are you using? What's your boat speed?

Try only filling the ballast on the surf side of the boat. We've found on our boat that 700 lbs or so of ballast in the ski locker on the surf side, 350 lbs in the center ski locker, and another 350 lbs in the bow gives a surfable wake even for beginners like me. I was able to go ropeless once I grasped the concept of what I think of as the "gas" and the "brakes" of the board. That is, leaning on your front leg speeds the board up, and leaning on the back leg slows it down. Some boards react faster to that pressure than others.

Just concentrate on getting slack in the rope. Once you can do that consistently, just drop the rope (don't throw it back in the boat). Let your spotter pull the rope back in.

Edited by sunscapeJeff
Do you have the wedge down? How much ballast are you using? What kind of surfboard are you using? What's your boat speed?

Try only filling the ballast on the surf side of the boat. We've found on our boat that 700 lbs or so of ballast in the ski locker on the surf side, 350 lbs in the center ski locker, and another 350 lbs in the bow gives a surfable wake even for beginners like me. I was able to go ropeless once I grasped the concept of what I think of as the "gas" and the "brakes" of the board. That is, leaning on your front leg speeds the board up, and leaning on the back leg slows it down. Some boards react faster to that pressure than others.

Just concentrate on getting slack in the rope. Once you can do that consistently, just drop the rope (don't throw it back in the boat). Let your spotter pull the rope back in.

Ditto to sunscapeJeff. 750 rear, 350 center, 400 bow, 400 side seat all on surf side w/ wedge all the way down @ about 10 mph. Been out 4 times. 3rd time plenty of slack. 4th time was ropeless. It also helped that I had folks w/ experience driving & helping me. Learned on a HL Landlock 5-6, but have a 2007 Broadcast 4-9 delivered today! Yahoo.gif Good luck!

Your boat will have no problem putting out the wake. Weight the side you are riding on, wedge down, I'm gonna say more like 11 to 11.5 mph. Remember that you need a really short rope also, you only want to be 5-7 feet behind the boat at speed. Learning to balance your weight over the board is the key to riding without the rope. Get a feel for the power the wake has and have fun. Learning is half the fun, so don't fell like you have to ride without the rope at first.

my 2005 LSV had a SWEET surf wake on the right or left side !! it was HUGE with stock ballast and wedge down and about 4-5 people on that side. new 2007 LSV will be here FRIDAY !!!! with power wedge ... so I can not wait !!!

post-227-1182907977_thumb.jpg

post-227-1182908094_thumb.jpg

post-227-1182908362_thumb.jpg

When Frank had his 23, we filled the surf-side ballast, added 2 sacs in the compartment and one on the seat at the same side. The wedge was deployed and the front was half filled. There were about 3 men onboard.

mesurf.jpg

DSC06802__Medium_.jpg

Edited by Rson
my 2005 LSV had a SWEET surf wake on the right or left side !! it was HUGE with stock ballast and wedge down and about 4-5 people on that side. new 2007 LSV will be here FRIDAY !!!! with power wedge ... so I can not wait !!!

hey Goochy

I have tried to dbl surf with my 11 year old daughter, but haven't had any luck

what's the secret?

I was told I need a longer board than the 5'11" landlock, but it looks like you are on a 5 footer

HELP!

thanks

Edited by noodleski
Dontknow.gif it was hard , This is a friends son. He wanted to surf SO bad. But we was to small, could not do it. I just told him do as do ( lean ) . I am almost 200 lbs and he is a small 9 year old ? On a 5.6 land lock . We did not go very far, but he said it was the best thing he has ever done . It was cool . !!!!!

hey Goochy

I have tried to dbl surf with my 11 year old daughter, but haven't had any luck

what's the secret?

I was told I need a longer board than the 5'11" landlock, but it looks like you are on a 5 footer

HELP!

thanks

Watch this video.

Size of person, wake, etc. is irrelevant. We do 'couples surfing' too. Husband and wife can get up using the same method. I've had my CFO up on my shoulders, method is the same.

I need help too in setting up my wake in my 07 VLX..... I really do not want to add extra ballast bags.... I have been told to only fill the rear bag on the surf side.... we have tried it a little and I have been able to go for only a few seconds without the rope behind my boat.... But last weekend, I was able to go ropeless for a long time behind a friend's X-30.... I know it is a much bigger boat, but we had it set up the same way..... I do have the power wedge and I have tried it too... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... lets assume that the wedge all the way down is 0 (6 o'clock position) and all the way up (12 o'clock) is 8.... I think that is what I read in another post.... I have always just called it by the clock #

Thanks

Both me (150 lbs.) and my buddy (200 lbs) can ride my landlock board ropeless behind my 1990 euro f3 without ballast. It takes practice. My wake is not big.

When we do add ballast and people it's a lot easier, but the wake is still pretty small.