Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

now to use cruise and depth alarm?

seems the first weekend in May with new 2006 LX the cruise worked. now it does not. what i do is depress the cruise button. it appears in C mode. set it to say 18 and drive 20mph. hit the cruise button again and it flips to RPM mode? should I drive 15 and set to 18 and then hit C button? directions just says hitting button a second time will set it. what is correct procedure? I have tried all combos i can think of.

also on start of motor the depth alarm goes off suggesting depth is .50 feet and registers depth at 1 foot yet it is 5-20 feet deep? I hit the "E" and alarm goes off. it will read 1 foot then while cruising and then it will register correctly for real depth. is it not set up correctly?

I thought I read the "module" too often fails?

seems the first weekend in May with new 2006 LX the cruise worked. now it does not. what i do is depress the cruise button. it appears in C mode. set it to say 18 and drive 20mph. hit the cruise button again and it flips to RPM mode? should I drive 15 and set to 18 and then hit C button? directions just says hitting button a second time will set it. what is correct procedure? I have tried all combos i can think of.

also on start of motor the depth alarm goes off suggesting depth is .50 feet and registers depth at 1 foot yet it is 5-20 feet deep? I hit the "E" and alarm goes off. it will read 1 foot then while cruising and then it will register correctly for real depth. is it not set up correctly?

I thought I read the "module" too often fails?

Ron,

If it's the malibu cruise control it doesn't sound like you are using it correctly. Turn it on in "speed" mode by pressing the top left button (the display will say "Speed Off"). Set the speed using the top right (for higher) and bottom right (for lower) button. Turn the cruise on by pressing the red middle left button (it should say "speed on")

As a side note, you can set the speed after you turn it on as well.

Once you are set as described above just throttle up until you hear two quick beeps. The cruise control will engage and get up to speed. Once this happens a bar will appear along the bottom of the display. The bar will have an open gap with a box above it. Use the throttle to make sure the box is in the middle or upper range of the gap in the lower bar (this will keep you from getting the "more throttle" message on turns.

You most likely will not be able to turn the speed control on while you are moving. Some say you can turn it on if you are below 20 mph. I have only had luck turning it on while under way if I notice right after I start (within 5 seconds or so) and quickly hit the red middle left button. Your better off having it on before you are moving. Also, when you turn the key off it turns of the speed control and you have to turn it back on after the boat is on.

As for the depth alarm, are there tall weeds when you turn it on? I found that even when the water is 5 or more feet deep, if there are thick weeds it will throw off the depth finder.

Edited by CedarLakeSkier
It is spelled out in the Owners Manual as well.

thanks i will try those directions. they vary from the "owners manual. OM states to hit the upper left button "C" to initiate the CC process. it then says speed off. then you set your speeds with up/down arrow. then manual says hit that button again to set CC. you say hit the red middle? manual says otherwise. we tried setting low speeds <20 and speeds >25 and neither worked. maybe the manual is in error? i did get it working once. maybe i followed your exact method? i printed your directions and will check it out friday. odds are user error ! thanks.

The depth alarm. i bet it is sensitive to ALGAE? lake a bit dirty this year.

thanks i will try those directions. they vary from the "owners manual. OM states to hit the upper left button "C" to initiate the CC process. it then says speed off. then you set your speeds with up/down arrow. then manual says hit that button again to set CC. you say hit the red middle? manual says otherwise. we tried setting low speeds <20 and speeds >25 and neither worked. maybe the manual is in error? i did get it working once. maybe i followed your exact method? i printed your directions and will check it out friday. odds are user error ! thanks.

My manual for my 06 is wrong also. It denoted the same thing you mentioned, but when I took delivery of my boat last year, my dealer did a test run with me and went through all the options and that is when I learned to push the red button to turn speed on or off.

We have weeds and some algae in my lake, but my depth finder never sounds an alarm except in true shallow water. So I'm not sure of the problem. Just make sure nothing is interfering with the transducer.

I agree that algae shouldn't affect it. Next time you have it on a lift or on the trailer climb underneath and see if there is something on the transducer. It is odd that it works while cruising, maybe the speed clears off or moves out of the way something blocking it.

I agree that algae shouldn't affect it. Next time you have it on a lift or on the trailer climb underneath and see if there is something on the transducer. It is odd that it works while cruising, maybe the speed clears off or moves out of the way something blocking it.

thanks. where is the tranducer on bottom of boat? I recall a round black disc down there. Is that it?

yes - they are thru hull transducers.

It could be water conditions. Sometimes mine acts funny around the Marina. I wonder if it has something to do with the pollution around the Marina, fuel and oil on top of the water gets churned up and might be collecting there.

I know that years ago when I still went to LOTO with my past boat, the depth finder would do lots of weird things. I asked a dealer down there about it and he said there were so many heavy metals in the water that it bounced the sonar waves.

It could be water conditions. Sometimes mine acts funny around the Marina. I wonder if it has something to do with the pollution around the Marina, fuel and oil on top of the water gets churned up and might be collecting there.

I know that years ago when I still went to LOTO with my past boat, the depth finder would do lots of weird things. I asked a dealer down there about it and he said there were so many heavy metals in the water that it bounced the sonar waves.

YIKES ! HEAVY METALS. All we have here in Wisconsin are hazardous waste and animal by- products from the meat processing plant.

YIKES ! HEAVY METALS. All we have here in Wisconsin are hazardous waste and animal by- products from the meat processing plant.

My depth finder was acting similar to your description and it was a bad transducer. Replaced it and it works great.