Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pop-up cleats

mrgreencu

My wakesetter does not have any pop-up cleats installed. This is usually never a problem as I don't have a dock to tie to, but I recently rented a lakehouse with a dock and it was a minor inconvenience. How big of a job are they to install? Anybody ever tried?

My wakesetter does not have any pop-up cleats installed. This is usually never a problem as I don't have a dock to tie to, but I recently rented a lakehouse with a dock and it was a minor inconvenience. How big of a job are they to install? Anybody ever tried?

It doesn't appear to be a big issue to install them after the fact. I could see the front left side from under my storage area and it basically looks like two holes drilled through with nuts on the backside.

Installing cleats is not a big deal. There are certain things to know about drilling through fiberglass. But, if you're only going to need them for a once-in-a-while situation, I think I'd just tie to the front bow railings and the ski pylon or rear transom eyes. The cost of pop up cleats is a little prohibitive for a once a year use.

One thing I would do if you begin to drill, is to put some tape down ove the are to be drilled before you actually drill. This will help to prevent "splintering" of the glass. Shouldn't be to tough of a job. Good luck!

Installing cleats is not a big deal. There are certain things to know about drilling through fiberglass. But, if you're only going to need them for a once-in-a-while situation, I think I'd just tie to the front bow railings and the ski pylon or rear transom eyes. The cost of pop up cleats is a little prohibitive for a once a year use.

Yeah, like using the right drill bits Biggrin.gif . I'm with Pete on this, unless you plan on using them more often, we use them everytime we launch and even without them there is a way. I've seen people use the tower also.

you do want to use tape beforew you drill that is for sure. they are nice to have, but i might be saying that just because i have them but i would not buy a boat with out them. if you are not worried to much about money then i would get them if i were you. but that is Just me. most of the other people said you do not need them. Thumbup.gif

Thanks for the input, I was thinking about installing them for re-sale more than for our use. I've installed a thru-hole fitting for ballast on our previous boat, so if it's similiar to that I'll be OK.

I had mine installed by the guys that did my stereo, they used one of those bits shaped like a top and it went through the glass like butta. No splinters, no fractures, just a hell of alot of dust.