Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this normal?

Yesterday while drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat for a ballast intake I ran across something kind of strange. As I began to drill into the hull, water started pouring out. I am aware of water being trapped between the bilge liner and the actual hull, but I wasn't more then an 1/8-1/4 in when this water started coming out. At first it was just a little bit, but as I drilled more, more water came out. If I had to guess I would say at least 3 gallons of water spilled out onto the garage floor. Do we have a problem with water between layers of the hull??? :unsure:

Sounds like trouble if you ask me.

Does your boat freeze in the winter?

Want me to drill a hole in my hull and see if I get any water out? j/k I don't have a lined bildge.

That does not sound right at all, I know you mention only being in about 1/8-1/4 but if you didn't go all the way through there is now way there should be water in between the bottom and inside of the hull. You may want to pull anything that goes through the bottom into the hull and make sure there is now separation.

What year is the boat your working on?

Put the boat on the trailer before drilling holes through the hull Crazy.gif

Local dealer told me because of Malibu's construction if there is a seperation from impact etc. you can get water between the inner and outer hull. He had one where some one had some pretty severe underwater damage and the box around the shaft packing was seperating and letter water in.

Want me to drill a hole in my hull and see if I get any water out? j/k I don't have a lined bildge.

The boat is kept in a garage, but it does get below freezing from time to time throughout the winter months.

That does not sound right at all, I know you mention only being in about 1/8-1/4 but if you didn't go all the way through there is now way there should be water in between the bottom and inside of the hull. You may want to pull anything that goes through the bottom into the hull and make sure there is now separation.

The boat is a 1999 Sunsetter LXi. Thinking about it more, I didn't go any further then 1/4" because I was using a hole saw bit and the "teeth" on the saw had just began to scratch the gel coat and the bit is only 1/4 above the saw teeth. We haven't had any problems with water coming into the boat and there are no bubbles or imperfections in the fiberglass.

The boat is kept in a garage, but it does get below freezing from time to time throughout the winter months.

The boat is a 1999 Sunsetter LXi. Thinking about it more, I didn't go any further then 1/4" because I was using a hole saw bit and the "teeth" on the saw had just began to scratch the gel coat and the bit is only 1/4 above the saw teeth. We haven't had any problems with water coming into the boat and there are no bubbles or imperfections in the fiberglass.

Well, the good thing is it has warranty at least the hull should. As the OP said, if it has separated from hard impacts you need to report this and maybe you'll be getting a new hull :)

Well, the good thing is it has warranty at least the hull should. As the OP said, if it has separated from hard impacts you need to report this and maybe you'll be getting a new hull :)

Even though we aren't the original owners?

Even though we aren't the original owners?

Well, that I'm not sure about. Someone else who knows more about this will chime in i'm sure, but when I bought mine, they said the hull is life time as long as it doesn't show abuse. When we talked about the extended warranty they said it is tranferable, but that only applied to the normal stuff that isn't covered after the three years. I would call Malibu direct and find out what is going on, make sure to have everything in writing for your protection. Do not except any verbals from anyone :) learned that the hard way years ago.

You sure it wasn't gas? ;)

Just drill through, you've got nothing to loose now.

Yeah just say you could feel the boat getting heavier. Oh and if it is gas, make sure to use one of those old style hand drills, you don't want to have sparks anywhere close Tease.gif j/k

A few months ago this was discussed on this site. I remember, because it sounded odd to me, but it seems like 2-3 chimed in that theirs too, had a gap between the innermost layer of fiberglass & the remaining thickness. Seems like 1-2 had water coming out like you did. It can't be "right", but I bet it is not uncommon & if you don't tell the boat, it'll never know.

Its not gas.

As soon as all the water poured out, I drilled the rest of the way through and installed the thru-hull. I guess I will give the nearest dealer a call Dontknow.gif

Its not gas.

As soon as all the water poured out, I drilled the rest of the way through and installed the thru-hull. I guess I will give the nearest dealer a call Dontknow.gif

we're just giving you a hard time Tease.gif

Its not gas.

That-a-boy! It doesn't seem right, shouldn't see water there, ask the site, but drill the darned thing all the way through anyway, and then wait for answers from the Crew. Just march forward and go for it. Woohoo!

Who's going with you for the water test? Got lots of vests? Bailing buckets?

Edited by Baddog
HDS possibly? Where on the hull are we talking about?

Could be HDS, but I put the hole about 8" away from the stock center bilge hole. (engine area)

Just to be sure that it's not something really obvious, I might pop the lid on the HDS & look for any obvious signs. Leaks from HDS boxes can show up as far forward as in the ski locker, so the proximity doesn't necessarily rule it out.

Yes, that's the idea. The sealer that is in place when they bond the 2 layers together can break away over time - sometimes they don't get enough applied & it leaks right away. It doesn't take much & once it happens you get all of that water in between. It usually finds its way out in other areas, but it may not have in your case & when you drilled you found the mother lode. :)

Well I called BCWS and talked to one guy, but I am calling back later today to talk to someone who does repairs and might know whats going on. I hope its the HDS and not something worse...