Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed,RPMs,Temp,Fuel Gauges Don't Work

I Got a 2000 malibu sunsetter. I took it out on the lake this weakend to find that none of my gauges work. All the Breakers look good. The boat runs great. But those gauges DON't Move. Check all the wires... I NEED SOME HELP

I used to have the 1999 Sunsetter VLX, and it took a couple of years for them to get the electronic brain to work properly.

It would make my gauges NOT work.

Check with your dealer, maybe that one was never replaced?

Cry.gif

recheck the wires.

Then provide us some more detail as to the exact failure. You list some of them and say all of them don't work. Just trying to troubleshoot the problem. Does your battery gauge work? Does your oil pressure gauge work? In your 2000 do you know if they are the Medalion 5" gauges? Can't remember the year, but Malibu went to a computer to control the gauges, and it sounds like you have that system - since that's one of the only way the speedo would quit working, unless it's just clogged up.

Step one recheck connectors on the back of gauges - yep this means pulling the dash panel.

The same happened on launch day with my new LX. I got behind the dask and pulled every wire connector apart and re-joined them. At that time I had no idea which one carried the juice to the dashboard but it worked. The dash power failed twice before my giggling and it hasn't played up since.

Yours has probably got some corrosion in the connectors. Similar things happen with my trailer light connection - pull the pin in and out a few times and I'm away.

The malibu dealership here in my home town thinks its the Cpu.. So i got one one the way.. Hopefully this will fix my problem.. If not back to the drawing board.

I'm a fan of the 'Fonz' method. Whack it a few times. That should fix it. If not, you need to double check your mojo.

I got the new mdc/cpu for my boat replaced with the old one... and my guages still don't work.... So $200 later Time to take it to the malibu dealer....... I will keep you all posted...

I'm not sure if the 99 is at all like the 95, but all of the gauges are grounded by one wire. I would find that wire and use a test light and connect the clip to a pos(+) source and see if you have a ground. Since they are all out, I dought that the sending units all failed at the same time.