Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the ACME 1235 too much for anyone?

lib135

Does anyone else think that the ACME 1235 can sometimes be a little too much? My Top end speed is only about 41-42 and my RPMs are sky high just to cruise around. I feel the like gas I am saving for holeshot I am losing getting to our riding spot(s), 5-10 min ride away. Also, I am noticing that when I first hit the gas, the boat seems to spin in place for a sec or 2 before the boat actually takes off. I just feel like I have too much power/torque? Anyone else agree or disagree. This is typically with full ballast/wedge and about 8 people in the boat.

I can see your concern if you have to drive to your spot to ride. We don't have to travel to get to our riding spot so it's not an issue. Let me know if you end up wanting to sell your prop.

No issues here.

I love the holeshot with full ballast.

I get about 45 - 46 top end or as far as I'll go - I'm shy about WOT.

But I usually cruise around 36-38.

I am not even close to 46-48, I top out at 42, WOT. I better check and make sure my dealer even installed the right prop, I will look again today, I have the HH engine.

I am not even close to 46-48, I top out at 42, WOT. I better check and make sure my dealer even installed the right prop, I will look again today, I have the HH engine.

check speed with GPS as well. If you don't need all the bottom end then change over to the 537, sell the 1235 would not be a problem.

I have not even bothered to calibrate with gps in over 1 year-

just not that important to me to know EXACTLY how fast I'm going.

But I bet its pretty close to accurate.

Brad I'll bet you anything you are not close to 48mph with that prop. When I put my 1235 on I was dissapointed while cruising as I frequent many big lakes that I end up crusing around finding good water. I was so dissapointed the first time I used it I took it off and put the 537 back on. I'm going to call up ACME and see if they can come up with something else for me, I just don't like the prop. I think the boat handles a little differently than it does with the 537 on and it's not a positive thing to me Dontknow.gif

Brad I'll bet you anything you are not close to 48mph with that prop. When I put my 1235 on I was dissapointed while cruising as I frequent many big lakes that I end up crusing around finding good water. I was so dissapointed the first time I used it I took it off and put the 537 back on. I'm going to call up ACME and see if they can come up with something else for me, I just don't like the prop. I think the boat handles a little differently than it does with the 537 on and it's not a positive thing to me Dontknow.gif

Fill us in more on that handling. If you have ACME add some more cup into it you will give you more top end. I would like to see what you thought of a OJ 475 on your boat. I still want to try a 1235 so I can say I have seen how it performs first hand.

Ok here's the deal on the handling. I was with 3 other people besides myself, which is normal for me. Anyways with the 1235 I noticed the boat listing to the starboard side under acceleration, something I never noticed with the 537 even when I put it back on the next day and went back out. I also noticed the boat was more sensitive to wieght placement, something I also bragged about before that it wasn't much of an issue with the vlx compared to my last boat. Keep in mind these tests were done on a camping trip so these were concurent tests with similar water conditions. Point is that several days didn't go by before I swapped back to the 537 to try things out. I'm not sure what the deal was but I wasn't impressed. For me the 1235 doesn't work very well I lost way to much top end. With the 537 I could cruise at 4K at 38-40mph, with the 1235 to go 40mph I was pegged at 5300 rpm.

Goose-

do you think the 475 is any different, I know there is a slight cupping difference.

06vlx:

I am glad its just not me. You and I have the same results. I am going back to the 537, will keep 1235 as a spare, until I figure out what to do next. I wonder if there is something in between the two? Maybe I will try the OJ 475 D-Goose. But 06Vlx, you and I have the identical situation.

06vlx:

I am glad its just not me. You and I have the same results. I am going back to the 537, will keep 1235 as a spare, until I figure out what to do next. I wonder if there is something in between the two? Maybe I will try the OJ 475 D-Goose. But 06Vlx, you and I have the identical situation.

It's kinda wierd huh, it's something I really didn't expect. I was pretty pumped about the new prop then very let down when I found it wasn't as great as everyone made it out to be. Then again my boat does really well with the 537.

I love the hole shot too much to give up my 1235. My top end seems to be at about 38 (down 6-7 mph) for my setup. The only handling situation I get is when I'm turning hard to the starboard side - not sure how to describe it but it seems to list to that side and loose torque. My foil is mounted on the starboard and my seat strap will actually drag in the water on a hard turn. Other than that, the 1235 feels like I upgraded my engine, especially with the mega ballast I like to ride with. I'll give up my top end for it but I don't travel far from the house and am not on big water.

Maybe the diamond has some effect.

I am also on a good sized lake (29,000 acres).

My speedo reads 46 @ 4950 rpm on smooth water with no ballast and 1 passenger.

I rarely go over 5k rpm - no need.

But when I cruise across its usually about 36 - 38 and not close to WOT.

I don't care if I'm calibrated exact or not - the top speed is fine for me and the hole shot is excellent.

And I'm still running the same 10.7 for surfing and 18 for skating and 20 for boarding that I always have and its still as perfect as it was when we GPS'd it.

Sorry but the highly coveted diamond LSV hull wins again (-:

I've got the 1235 on my VTX and I want to re-prop. It is great for getting out of the hole, for surfing and even boarding, but I like to ski, and at 34 mph I'm turning over 4000 rpm - much to high for me. Anyone have some numbers for the 475 at 34 mph?

I've got the 1235 on my VTX and I want to re-prop. It is great for getting out of the hole, for surfing and even boarding, but I like to ski, and at 34 mph I'm turning over 4000 rpm - much to high for me. Anyone have some numbers for the 475 at 34 mph?

mrothwell- talk to Idaho Water Sports in Caldwell and see if they will swap you for a 537. The 1235 may be a little much for your boat. I ran the 537 on my V-Ride and it worked great! The 537 doesn't work well on my VLX. The 1235 is much better when I am weighted. You are also in Boise. I am in Pocatello and 2000 feet higher. The 1235 is probably our most popular prop, and most of our boats come in with the 537. I'm pretty sure they will swap you if yours is still perfect.

Yes, but with the Hammerhead. I'm not sure how much that would change things, but both jshap & I tested the 475 & baselined our boats with the 537 as a direct comparison. Here are the links to the posts:

My post

jshap's post

Overall, I was really impressed with the prop. It improved handling (less, if any cavitation - the 537 would cavitate badly on a hard turn when ballasted, & I could get the 475 to just a little), hole shot was fantastic & I only lost about .5 mph on the top end. Mine should be here at the end of the week. Biggrin.gif

I never thought the 1235 or 475 would be a good match with the VTX because of its small size. I don't know of any one running the 475 on a VTX yet. If you wanted to trade it for a 537 let me know I have some one interested. Thumbup.gif

As time go's on we all are learning how different each hull, eng, elevation, ect will affect the boats performance with different props. Even with all the testing (V drive) my self and others have done, we still have much to learn. I still want to know what the OJ 506 will work best with and to run both the 1235 and 475 side beside on my boat.

I never thought the 1235 or 475 would be a good match with the VTX because of its small size. I don't know of any one running the 475 on a VTX yet. If you wanted to trade it for a 537 let me know I have some one interested. Thumbup.gif

As time go's on we all are learning how different each hull, eng, elevation, ect will affect the boats performance with different props. Even with all the testing (V drive) my self and others have done, we still have much to learn. I still want to know what the OJ 506 will work best with and to run both the 1235 and 475 side beside on my boat.

I'm thinking the 8.1, but Stewart will have to test that one for us.

I'm thinking the 8.1, but Stewart will have to test that one for us.

I have tried the 475 and liked it. I thought your VLX would love the 506, weight to power ratio (which is better than mine). But yet, the 506 was a little doggie out of the hole on your boat and cavitated a little much in the turns. After witnessing that, I sent the 506 back and kept the 475 :)

I have an 07 VLX with the Hammerhead and I too experience what I consider too much cavitation. It looks like you guys are pretty happy with the oj 475 with similar set ups. Is this the consensus? If so, where is the best place to purchase and what are the exact specs/size I need?

Thanks.

I have an 07 VLX with the Hammerhead and I too experience what I consider too much cavitation. It looks like you guys are pretty happy with the oj 475 with similar set ups. Is this the consensus? If so, where is the best place to purchase and what are the exact specs/size I need?

Thanks.

PM D-GOOSE, there is an OJ buy going on right now, but it ends July 1.

I'd like to chime in here is no-one minds.

I have a SS Prop 13x12(I think). HH365. I get 48.5@5250RPM

I am thinking about changing to a Acme CNC. What pitch should I go with? Same or try something different in order to get my RPMS closer to my top speed. It seems at that high RPM, I still have some speed left I can squeeze out of her.

Edited by areamike
  • 2 years later...

Great site - I just joined!

I have a Sunscape 23 XLV with the 8.1 engine and a badly dinged up Acme 537 prop...it has been repaired several times, but it is time to replace it.

We board and ski, no ballast...Illusion X tower.

I know this post is late to party, but what is the current "best" prop for this boat? I am not really thrilled with the overall performance of the 537 - it's ok, but the hole shot is not great. It does tend to cavitate when pushed hard.

We also like to cruise, but from a performance point of view, pulling is our number one issue - I'll give up top end cause I never run WOT...

I've seen lots of discussion about the Acme 1235, but that was 2 years ago....what about the OJ 475?

Any thoughts/experiences/opinions are welcome!

Also, any pointers on where to purchase/GBs, etc.

Randy

[email protected]