Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Modifying cover to fit around illusion.

chadwick02

Hey everyone,

So I’m installing the tower tomorrow night, and as I covered the boat last night it occurred to me that I will have to modify the cover to fit around the legs of the illusion tower.

I’m thinking of cutting into the cover to make flaps to go around the base legs, and then maybe Velcro-ing them back onto them selves? The rope that goes around the parameter of the cover will also need to be cut, and have some type of “quick disconnect” so that it can be disconnected and re-connected to go around the tower legs. I’ve got no idea if there is a special type of snap or clip that could be used for this?

Has anyone ever modified their cover to fit around a tower? What did you do?

Thanks,

Chad

Hey everyone,

So I’m installing the tower tomorrow night, and as I covered the boat last night it occurred to me that I will have to modify the cover to fit around the legs of the illusion tower.

I’m thinking of cutting into the cover to make flaps to go around the base legs, and then maybe Velcro-ing them back onto them selves? The rope that goes around the parameter of the cover will also need to be cut, and have some type of “quick disconnect” so that it can be disconnected and re-connected to go around the tower legs. I’ve got no idea if there is a special type of snap or clip that could be used for this?

Thanks,

Chad

I dont have an Illusion, but this is what I did, shoud be the same concept.

I bought these hooks from Home Depot for about $5 each, they work great on tighting up the cover. I had my cover place sew in velcro for each of my 4 tower seams (Titan I) and a 3 inch flap that goes from tower leg to tower leg with velcro to hide and protect the hook.

post-2255-1182786718.jpg

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Chad

Don't know what cover you have. Mine already had the ratcheting pulleys on

either side. I had my Illusion installed by the dealer and they modified my cover

by cutting a vertical slit up to the base of the tower and then an eliptical hole around

the base of the tower, all hemmed. The slit up to the tower reconnects with velcro.

The "rope ratchet" pulleys, available at Home Depot, allow you to disconnect and then

wrap to the inside of the tower when removing. Works pretty well. YMMV.

Interesting guys. I'll have to check at homedepot and see what they have. My fabric-working skills are not very good.....