Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in Your Tailpipe!

FL Long Ball

We just started skiing at a new lake and the ramp is very shallow. In order to get the boat in the water we have to put the truck in the water as well. My biggest concern is having the muffler under water. Are there any issues with this?

Thanks

We just started skiing at a new lake and the ramp is very shallow. In order to get the boat in the water we have to put the truck in the water as well. My biggest concern is having the muffler under water. Are there any issues with this?

Thanks

As long as you don't put the engine under the water you'll be fine Biggrin.gif

We used to have a place we went that was very shallow also. My dad would pretty much have half of the truck in the water. Never had an issue. The pressure from the exhaust will keep any water out as long as you aren't forcing it in.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the heat from the exhaust pipes hitting the cold water and cracking something. If it's really hot out and you back up to far you may start hearing some sizzling Crazy.gif .

The only thing I would be concerned about is the heat from the exhaust pipes hitting the cold water and cracking something. If it's really hot out and you back up to far you may start hearing some sizzling Crazy.gif .

The Cats produces water anyway that flow through the muffler.....Sink it down.

Edited by Rson
I would just avoid dipping the cat converters.

Where are the cat convertors located?

Usually Higher up on the truck....they look like small mufflers. About 2 feet back from the engine.

A bigger issue might be submerging your trailer master cylinder. If you get water in your TMC ;) it will work its way down to the wheel cylinders or calipers and eventually sieze them. Just be careful and make sure that your M/C cap is sealed tight.

A bigger issue might be submerging your trailer master cylinder. If you get water in your TMC ;) it will work its way down to the wheel cylinders or calipers and eventually sieze them. Just be careful and make sure that your M/C cap is sealed tight.

Wouldn't the MC get wet almost all of the time? Is there routine maintenance that should be done to make sure that the MC says sealed?

I wouldn't ever get the master cylinder wet. They are not watertight by any stretch. That is one shallow ramp if you are worried about getting your MC wet.

Drive er in!!!!! As long as you don't shut the engine down you will be fine. I go to an unbelievably shallow lake once a year in Maine that I have taken the floor mats out before I launch...water has passed under my feet while driving. Although I wouldn't recommend this as a usual routine, to get your tail pipes wet...drive er in!!!

Wouldn't the MC get wet almost all of the time? Is there routine maintenance that should be done to make sure that the MC says sealed?

That's about where I stop also, I just checked my M/C fluid yesterday and it does have a sealed cap but if you can avoid submerging it you be better off.

Brake cylinders gone bad are not fun!!! Just got through relplacing mine. You have to take the entire wheel assembly apart (bearings included) to get to the guts of the brakes.