Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Checking timing on an Indmar engne

I was checking the timing over the weekend. The manual says it should be set at 10 before TDC, but that only the dealer can do it as special tools are required. The engine is a 310 hp carb, and has no computer, so I don;t know what special tools would be required. However, when I checked it, it was set at almost 20 before TDB. I changed it to 10, and found that I lost rpm, and acceleration was not as good. Fortunately, there is a red line on the dist. so I was easily able to put it back where it was, and it ran fine. What's up with that?

I set the timing on my EFI monsoon. I doubt it would be much different for yours. The trick is you have to disconnect the timing advance connector plug before setting the timing. I don't remember the specifics and don't have the info with me here at work. But you can probably google it. I believe it is a gray connector around the distributor that you unplug. This puts you in BASE timing mode. Engine RPM's fall to 650 or so. That is where you set the timing. Then when you plug the connector back in your RPM's will come back up to normal.

the carb engine uses a plug you install into the distributor & put 12v to one wire. this puts the engine into base time. its a plastic metri-pack type connector. the dealer gave me one when I picked up the boat. if you don't have any luck getting one from the dealer you can use mine.