Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2 ?'s: seat height & windshield

Badger

Got the new iRide over the weekend and have a couple of quick questions.

1. My wife and I both like to have our sight lines above the windshield when driving. The flip up bolster puts us directly in line with the top frame. Is there any type of "stock" solution out there to raise the seat base? My next avenue would be to have some aluminum blocks machined and add some bigger bolts. Has anyone done this?

2. With kids in the boat, we have a lot of movement of people from the bow to stern. Does anyone have a way to leave the walkway windshield open when driving, without taking it off altogether? My last boat had a strap with a snap that would pull it tight against the frame of the Passenger side so that there wouldn't be any bouncing while driving. I never had a problem with leaving it open.

Badger

I leave my windsheild open all the time with it just resting on the windshield...never had any problems with it bouncing.

Ditto. We leave our thru way open almost all the time when the weather is warm. Only time it gets shut is to block wind and/or water from coming into the main cabin.

Thanks guys. I'll guess I won't worry about leaving the door open. It just worried me that the rubber stoppers were right on the glass, whereas my last boat was frame to frame.

Baddog - when you say Pipe Nipples, can you elaborate a bit more? I'm only a novice plumber and am not sure of what I'd be looking for.

I raised my seat with four 4" pipe nipples and longer bolts. Doesn't look as professional as milled aluminum blocks but only cost about $5.

As far as the sightlines, try it without the bolster and looking through the windshield. It may be comparable to going from an SUV to a sports car, but you get used to it. Like I tell some folks, 'you don't drive this boat, you wear it.'

Thanks guys. I'll guess I won't worry about leaving the door open. It just worried me that the rubber stoppers were right on the glass, whereas my last boat was frame to frame.

Baddog - when you say Pipe Nipples, can you elaborate a bit more? I'm only a novice plumber and am not sure of what I'd be looking for.

I raised my seat with four 4" pipe nipples and longer bolts. Doesn't look as professional as milled aluminum blocks but only cost about $5.

The parts I used are right from Lowes plumbing aisle. Essentially they are 3/4" ID sections of galvanized pipe that come with pre-threaded on each end and are 4" in length. The threads don't matter, as I could have just bought a section of pipe and cut it to length but the pre-cuts are just so much easier to use. I also used galvanized bolts. I would prefer it all to be SS but harder to find in those lengths and more expensive. After 3 years of use, my pipe pieces are showing a little rust. When they get really noticeable, I'll spend another $4 and replace them.